I'm thinking we can make this thread a list of all the reasons BB 10 is better than iOS 6, to show current iPhone users. If you can think of other reasons in addition to these 10, pls list them below.

10 Reasons Why BlackBerry 10 is Better Than iOS 6 | The Gadget Masters

10 Reasons Why BlackBerry 10 is Better Than iOS 6

Combining the powerful Neutrino OS from QNX, beautiful UI from TAT and industry-leading WebKit browser from Torch Mobile, BlackBerry has created the most advanced mobile platform in the world � BlackBerry 10. In addition, incorporating an advanced contact management system from Gist and licensing the SwiftKey keyboard has allowed BlackBerry to take its traditional strengths to the next level. After using the Dev Alpha B (running BB 10) for the past 3 months, I have discovered 10 ways in which BB10 has surpassed the outdated and stagnant iOS 6.

1) Dynamic Lock Screen

BB 10 has a beautiful lock screen that is also informative. Users can take a look at the lock screen to see if they have any new emails, BBM messages or messages from social networks (e.g. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn).

At a time when few people wear a watch and instead rely on their smartphone to provide the time, the dynamic lock screen is particularly useful. A user can wake the device (and show the lock screen) with an upward gesture from the bottom bezel. After looking at the time and notifications, if there aren�t notifications that requires attention, they can simply move their finger back down to the bottom bezel to turn off the screen (and save battery).

With the design experts from TAT putting in their magical touch, waking the smartphone is slick and enjoyable. The lock-screen fades beautifully as more of the home-screen is revealed (with an upward gesture from the bottom bezel). The fading effect adjusts to wherever your finger is on the screen, and allows you to move your finger from side to side as you also move up. This is in contrast to Apple�s boring lock-screen, which requires a fixed, one-directional movement to unlock the device.

Putting the device to sleep for the night is also intuitive and slick. You simply move your finger down from the top bezel to pull down a black screen (like shades for a window). As soon as the device is put to sleep, an alarm clock appears for you to set the alarm for the next morning.

2) BlackBerry Hub � A Powerful Communications Center

Continuing with BlackBerry�s strength in messaging, the Hub allows users to receive and send emails, text messages and messages from Social Networks (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn). In addition, users can post status updates to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn without leaving the Hub. Continuing with BlackBerry�s specialty in saving users� time, this removes the need to open a Facebook app, a Twitter app and a LinkedIn app when a user wants to update their social networks.

In addition, the Hub also contains several of your upcoming calendar appointments. When you are in the Hub, you can simply drag down to reveal the next calendar events. Thus, it saves you time by removing the need to open the Calendar app in order to view your upcoming events.

3) Peek and Flow

The Hub is not an ordinary application � it is always running in the background. Thus, no matter which app an user is using, they are always one gesture away from the Hub (and their messages).

To Peek at your notifications, you simply swipe up from the bottom bezel (no matter which app you are currently in). Once you see your notifications, you can swipe back down to continue with what you were doing (if the notifications are not important) or you can swipe to the right to enter the Hub, to view the message in detail (or reply).

4) Advanced Touch Gestures

BlackBerry 10 gets rid of the outdated physical home button on the iPhone 5, and allows uses to use touch gestures to control the OS. For example, when in an app, the user can swipe to the right to reveal the context menu. In addition, the user can swipe down from the top bezel to reveal the action menu (e.g. to select the Help button). To activate the keyboard, one simply swipes up from the bottom bezel with two fingers. The touch gestures are intuitive and powerful. Getting rid of physical and capacitive buttons also frees out space for a bigger screen or smaller phone. This UI is simply the future of smartphones.

5) Industry-Leading Browser

With a HTML5 Test score of 484, BlackBerry 10 has the fastest browser in the industry (unless you also count the Tizen 2). In contrast, iOS 6 only has a score of only 386. In addition, the BB 10 browser is faster than any desktop browser. For example, its HTML5 Test score of 484 is higher than Chrome Canary�s 453. The QNX Neutrino OS and RIM�s acquisition of Torch Mobile are the reasons behind the industry-leading browser on BB 10.

Having the #1 browser in the industry also increases the number of apps available on BB 10. This is because the browser can use HTML5 web apps on the internet. Thus, the number of apps on BB 10 is significantly higher than the number in the app store (BlackBerry World). Through its ability to use web HTML5 apps, the number of apps on BB10 is increased to a nearly infinite number.

6) Active Frames

BB10 (unlike iOS 6) supports real multi-tasking. Thus, an user can have 8 open apps at the same time. When minimized, these running apps form a Active Frame, which provides tidbits of useful information. For example, from the Active Frame of the Calendar app, you can see the name and time of your next calendar appointment. Without opening BBM, you can see a contact�s updated profile picture, and their latest status updates.

Thus, with BB10, the user can obtain relevant and valuable information without even opening apps.

7) TimeShift Camera

I have heard �wows� from colleagues and friends every time I demonstrate the TimeShift feature on the BB10 camera. The camera has a facial recognition ability, and allows you to move forward and backward in time to avoid blinking eyes or change facial expressions. The most incredible use case is when there are multiple people in the picture. You can put person A at +2 seconds, person B at 0.5 second and person C at -1 second. Thus, you have created the perfect moment that did not actually exist.

8) More Development Languages and Tools

BlackBerry 10 offers 3 ways for developers to develop native apps � C++/Cascades, Webworks (HTML5) and Adobe Air. In addition, developers can port their Android apps to BB 10 using RIM�s Android porting tools. Of course, developers can also use cross-platform tools such as Unity/Union, Marmalade, PhoneGap and Sencha.

This is in contrast to iOS 6, in which there is only one method available to developers � iOS SDK. The lack of a HTML5 SDK means that the many web developers that exist cannot put their skills to use.

BB10′s ability to run Android apps is a significant advantage over iOS. In fact, from talking to BlackBerry employees in the past, BB10 could run iOS apps too (if iOS was open-sourced). This also applies to any other OS (e.g. Windows). Thus, by buying a BB10 device, you are virtually also getting an Android device for free.

9) Support of Open Standards � DLNA, NFC and HDMI

BlackBerry adopts open-standards including DLNA, NFC and HDMI, which is convenient and results in cost-savings for consumers. This is in contrast to iOS, which supports none of these three standards.

With the launch of the Bold 9900 in August 2011, BlackBerry was the first major smartphone maker to support NFC. In Canada and the U.S., customers can already use their BlackBerry to make payments via NFC at thousands of locations that display the Contactless symbol. The L-series has a NFC chip, and there are already several NFC sample apps for the Dev Alpha available for developers to use to create NFC apps.

BlackBerry 10, like the PlayBook, has a HDMI output. This makes it easy for the user to display pictures or videos on a large-screen TV. In contrast, a lighting-to-HDMI adaptor is required for the iPhone or iPad, which costs an extra US$39/CAD$45.

Unlike Apple, BlackBerry is part of the Consumer Home. This allows you to wirelessly display pictures, play videos and music from your BB10 smartphone on a TV (or any other electronic device with DLNA support). In order to use a similar feature on the iPhone 5, you would need to buy the Apple TV for $99.

10) BBM � Beyond Instant Messaging

BBM currently has 60 million active users around the world. With the launch of BBM 7 this month, free voice calls over Wi-Fi is now available. BBM Video Chat on BB10 has been confirmed by Thorstein Heins. In addition, a collaboration feature, in which users using BBM Video can share documents and files instantly, has been leaked in pictures and videos. This is particularly useful for meetings.

Furthermore, RIM executives have recently said that BBM Money is �coming soon�, with the interpretation being late 2012 or early 2013. This feature allows BBM users to transfer money, which is convenient for friends who owe each other money, or in-person transactions (made through Kijiji for example).

BBM 6 already had far more functionality than than Apple�s iMessage. With the addition of voice calls, video, collaboration tools and BBM Money, BBM is set to widen the lead further.
    10 Reasons Why BlackBerry 10 is Better Than iOS 6 | The Gadget Masters
    12-15-12 05:18 PM
    it also fixes legacy issues. doesn't "freeze", doesn't reboot when installing apps, has a ui actually designed for a touchscreen
    12-15-12 05:28 PM
    None of that matters one bit if the apps they currently use aren't available on BB10. Why do you use a BlackBerry? Take all of the reasons you do, then imagine you can't do them on another OS and then switch to that OS. Why would you? Peek, Flow, Hub, has zero impact on whether or not someone is going to switch.
    This is mostly true, yes, but I do think the new touch gestures might attract some new customers. It's a concept none of the competition has tried thus far, and could potentially develop some new BlackBerry fans. I'm sure someone is going to cite the PlayBook to try and prove me wrong, but let's face it - the PlayBook was launched with an incomplete OS and a rubbish marketing campaign. They're not going to make the same mistake with BB10.

But as far as apps go, RIM has very clearly been going the extra mile to attract as many developers as possible. I think their efforts will pay off and it will become a non-issue for BB10.
    adjdudley21 and 00stryder like this.
    12-15-12 05:32 PM
    None of that matters one bit if the apps they currently use aren't available on BB10. Why do you use a BlackBerry? Take all of the reasons you do, then imagine you can't do them on another OS and then switch to that OS. Why would you? Peek, Flow, Hub, has zero impact on whether or not someone is going to switch.
    How can you actually say that Peek, Flow and Hub have ZERO impact on whether or not someone is going to switch? Do you know what all iphone users are looking for and expect in a phone? Maybe you might want to rephrase that and say "It's not enough to make me want to switch" but to make a statement such as those three things have ZERO impact to the fact of someone wanting to switch is pretty strong statement to make. ALL of my friends are making the switch from iphones and androids specifically because of those three factors.

These are 3 things of a host of many that are going to make people want to switch.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-15-12 05:38 PM
    Not sure how it is possible to compare BB10 to iOS6 unless one has both phones side by side. Most of us can't make that comparison since we haven't got a BB10 device in hand.
    While we can learn the gestures with just a slight learning curve, we don't know how the public will react to the OS. The experience is hugely important.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-15-12 05:54 PM
    So your friends are switching because of a different way of doing the same thing and at the same time abandoning the majority of stuff they use their phones for since the majority of apps aren't available on BB10?

Certainly would be good for RIM but your friends are, being realistic of course, probably not the majority.

What is majority of apps? One and this includes myself does not know for certain what will or what will not make it to BB 10. We can only go by what we read on the forums of course. Even the companies that didn't express interest in supporting BB 10 right now, does not mean that they will be non supporters in the future. Sure most phones can do almost the same thing now days, but BB ten is going to take that even one step further by simplifying the user experience. I think everyone would like to make performing tasks on their phones easier. I do agree apps are an important factor, but once this phone proves itself, apps will come. Many do care about the apps, but there are those that do not, contrary to what one may or may not think. All phones are capable of doing the same thing, and I don't know about you, but I personally would rather use 1 or two steps to perform something that takes opening and closing of apps and more steps to do the same thing. RIM has a great way of thinking here. BB users won't have to download additional apps to perform some of the other functions that the other platforms are not capable of doing. Less to download in terms of that, more app space for things we really need!
    Jake Storm and limh5 like this.
    12-15-12 05:54 PM
    I'm a huge fan of the hub, however I don't see any advantages to peek and flow vs iOS/android (especially vs android's widgets). If I receive an email,txt,social network message, I simply swipe down my notification bar. Not to mention If I receive a message of any kind while I'm using my device a little notification pops up on my device telling me who's it from. No need to open up the hub/peek & flow.

Sent from my White iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    soren203 and convenor like this.
    12-15-12 05:58 PM
    Yeah but umm doesn't the Android devices' notification center take up like most of the screen space? BB10's hub does not do that. You just peak and still maintain all the information in the screen without Anything blocking it.
    12-15-12 10:16 PM
    Single biggest fact why none of that matters: most iOS users are locked in to their ecosystem and are perfectly happy with what they have. And Apple will only continue to grow their base, at least in the near future. Then we'll see if they'll do something different to keep their wow factor. BB10 is certainly not the Apple killer.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-15-12 10:31 PM
    Single biggest fact why none of that matters: most iOS users are locked in to their ecosystem and are perfectly happy with what they have. And Apple will only continue to grow their base, at least in the near future. Then we'll see if they'll do something different to keep their wow factor. BB10 is certainly not the Apple killer.
    Keep their wow factor? They've already lost it.
    But you're right, BB10 is not the Apple killer... Apple is the Apple killer. Most iPhone users have become bored with iOS.
    Cesare21, DJM626 and 00stryder like this.
    12-16-12 12:19 AM
    But you're right, BB10 is not the Apple killer... Apple is the Apple killer. Most iPhone users have become bored with iOS.
    BB10 does not need to be an Apple killer to be a success, if they can nibble 5 to 10% off Apple and Android, BB10 will be a huge success......
    12-16-12 12:29 AM
    Jetpack Joyride just launched on the PlayBook this week, and that's a perfect example that the major apps will be on BB10.
    12-16-12 07:53 AM
    This would make a lot of sense if sales weren't through the roof.

Sent from my White iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    12-16-12 08:00 AM
    BB10 does not need to be an Apple killer to be a success, if they can nibble 5 to 10% off Apple and Android, BB10 will be a huge success......
    Exactly. The smartphone market is big and growing fast. BlackBerry is at 5% market share right now (globally). Doubling to 10% within 12 months should be easily doable (considering how BlackBerry was at 11.5% market share in Q2 2011). 15%+ of market share within 24 months would be a reasonable target. iOS is only at 19% right now anyways, so it wouldn't be that far ahead in a couple of months.

Link from IDC for Q2 2012: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?contai...2#.UM3Tz6zAHLQ
    Last edited by limh5; 12-16-12 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Link
    12-16-12 08:03 AM
    Re. #5. Since no one has said it yet (here), html5 scores are compliance, not speed, and more pointedly (however nebulous), not usability either.

But I do BELIEVE bb10 will be better than io6 (for me... And in general... Lol)
    00stryder and Dipps9 like this.
    12-16-12 08:05 AM
    These reasons are on point. 10 is slowly becoming my favourite number!!
    12-16-12 08:37 AM
    Meh, one could easily argue all those points depending on their usage.
    In the same vein, it would be easy to provide a list of 10 ways that iOs is better than BB10.
    Heck, I could give you a list of 10 ways WebOS is better than BB10...all in the eye of the beholder.

The best post in this thread has already been made: BB10 doesn't have to "beat" the others to be a success.
    00stryder and Alex_Hong like this.
    12-16-12 09:10 AM
    Hypothetically, let's say that each platform had the same apps, which platform would you choose? I think that is most important question, not whether x app is going to be there at launch. People did not choose Mac OS X because it had the programs they wanted, they choose because of the experience they got on that platform. The overall experience is what is important. Apps enhance that experience, they do not make that experience.

I have read many comments about how if BB 10 does not have this app or that app it will fail and I think that people forget that they did not buy a BlackBerry because of the apps it has, most people here bought a BB, despite of the app situation. If BB 10 does not meet your needs, you should look elsewhere. There must be something about how RIM and BlackBerry experience that has kept you here and if that experience is not enough anymore, then you are free to find another. Every platform/OS is a compromise, you have got to find out what is important to you. Most platforms do the same thing, it is about the How.

I like the BlackBerry Experience and I will continue to use BlackBerry until my carrier drops support. If we support RIM and BB 10 in large numbers, they will have to support us because we will become a viable option for them. Do not give them the power to choose your platform for you.
    Last edited by Joy1980; 12-17-12 at 02:21 PM. Reason: word correction
    12-16-12 10:30 AM
    Yes, I think so
    12-16-12 10:39 AM
    I am new on this forum but I think the debate on Blackberry vs iOs 6 is very interesting. Who is going to be the winner, RIM or Users of BB10? Time will tell.
    T-Raww likes this.
    12-16-12 11:30 AM
    most iOS users are locked in to their ecosystem
    Most iPhone users have become bored with iOS.
    Not sure we can make that assumption without 'talking to most iPhone users'. Apple's customer satisfaction is through the roof, but not entirely convinced users are as locked in or committed to Apple as people would believe.

I know within my wee social circle, Apple's brand loyalty isn't as strong as one would think. In the last few months, I've seen quite a few people say "goodbye" to iPhone and buy a Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus or a Nokia Lumia instead. A few of them were Apple nuts too. Just yesterday, I was chatting with someone who had owned three different iPhones and just wanted to try something else.

While we are all geeky and interested in mobile devices, not everyone uses their smartphones as intensely as we do in terms of apps, content or other functions. Also, not all iPhone users are hardcore Apple users. I know quite a few who don't own Macs, Apple TVs, iPads or anything else.
    owadkelly likes this.
    12-16-12 11:37 AM
    Exactly. The smartphone market is big and growing fast. BlackBerry is at 5% market share right now (globally).
    More specifically, Android and iOS powered 85% of all smartphones shipped in the second quarter of 2012. This is not the same thing as "active user base" and it can shift noticeably from quarter to quarter (see the shipments of iPhones during launch quarter vs. the quarter before.

Certainly an important metric, but I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a journalist or a fanboy misquote a survey that measures something. Not to suggest that you did this, but wanted to clarify.

Also, there are newer surveys.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?contai...2#.UM4INraa0xc
    12-16-12 11:42 AM
    Yeah but umm doesn't the Android devices' notification center take up like most of the screen space? BB10's hub does not do that. You just peak and still maintain all the information in the screen without Anything blocking it.
    No it doesnt... notifications pop up and you slide the notifications center down to view the complete list. Its not static what so ever.... RIM just implemented their version from the side of the screen instead of the top of the screen.
    12-16-12 11:42 AM
    Isnt bbm money already launched in indonesia or launching very shortly. There was an article which i dont feel like looking up
    thp007 likes this.
    12-16-12 03:02 PM
    10 reasons

There's only 1 Its a blackberry.
    azzurri_94 likes this.
    12-16-12 03:20 PM
36 12