The industry has many brilliant people working for all different companies. Innovation comes from everywhere including, of course, Apple and BlackBerry. Reading the comments feels like a Republican/Democrat debate where the other side is wrong no matter what. We should be happy for the technology we have and excited for what the future brings and there really is no point in debating who gets more credit for it, nobody will ever agree anyway.
    gebco, anon8656116 and dragyn451 like this.
    08-31-14 09:44 PM
    I absolutely agree, its amazing how people credit Apple with any mobile tech development.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    I am pretty certain that Apple invented batteries and Steve Jobs discovered radio waves.
    theRock1975, gebco and spikesolie like this.
    08-31-14 09:56 PM
    HTC was building Windows CE smartphones for HP and other companies in the 200Xs. Apple is and has been the leader in tech marketing.

10,4 on the 10.3 good buddy....it may or may not have a squircle, it's to fast to tell.
    08-31-14 10:20 PM
    If there wasn't an iPhone we wouldn't have mp3 or cameras or video player or colour screens and we would still be tethered to bbry bis not to mention still be using edge phones

Lazardis said we didn't need those options he changed his tune shortly after storms release
    He even called the iPhone a "toy"
    I'm almost 100% that you're completely joking. I'm pretty sure mp3s, cameras, video player and color screens (all together on a mobile device), preceded the first iPhone.

As for BIS and data efficiency, RIM (at that point), had basically been built around the sole purpose of making the most data efficient communication possible given the very limited mobile data channels available. Apple on the other hand, didn't give a sh*t and promptly proceeded to bring AT&T's network to its knees.

I don't know how any of that shines a positive light on Apple...
    spikesolie and Playbook007 like this.
    09-01-14 02:51 PM
    As much as I use to like Apple back when they where a smaller company I have to disagree with that. Apple where the first ones to release a functional touch screen but technology was going to get there anyway. Same thing if blackberry would of not invented the modern smartphone some one would of made it. Apple use to be innovative bit it seems they completely lost there innovative edge, it seems the new versions of ios don't bring much and the phones only have better cameras and processors. Blackberry is trying to think outside the box this is why we will see a phone like the passport coming soon.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry invented the smartphone business. Apple took it and turned into the touchscreen party we see today.

There would be NO BB10 without that. Period.

That said, thank you Steve Jobs for the iPhone. I wouldn't have the powerhouse Z30 without you!

As for BlackBerry 10's short but incredible life: RIM bought QNX back in 2010, for they acknowledged BBOS could only go so far and they would not survive without a new OS to go head-to-head with Android and iOS. Came 2011 they launched the PlayBook with Tablet OS 1.0 (which some of us called BlackBerry 8), followed by Tablet OS 2/2.1 in 2012 (BlackBerry 9). Then they started cooking BB10, which was originally being tested on Dev Alpha phones but could also run on the PB (and looked just like Tablet OS then).

So, BB10 has been in the oven for a bit longer than that. 10.2.1 was what most expected from 10.0. As it is, BB10 managed to change the perception about BlackBerry devices.

Now 10.3's task is to get people to take a second look at the OS that has been polished and ironed out few times for them.
    09-01-14 02:53 PM
    If there wasn't an iPhone we wouldn't have mp3 or cameras or video player or colour screens and we would still be tethered to bbry bis not to mention still be using edge phones

Lazardis said we didn't need those options he changed his tune shortly after storms release
    He even called the iPhone a "toy"
    Sarcasm right? Now apple invented mp3s? And color screens? Oh wow I remember a credit to jobs for developing the first camera lens in 1816

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    09-01-14 03:49 PM
    Remember the time when I had the BlackBerry 8820 and see my friend struggle with his iPhone 3 gs...don't know why people forgot how bad the first iPhones were..i am a hard core BlackBerry person but we can still be better people by crediting apple for the good work they have done. And if not for the competition we wouldn't be having the phones that we have today.

Z30 STA-2 10.3.0.1052 Posted via CB
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-01-14 04:29 PM
    I'm very impressed with how far the BB10 OS has come along since last year January. Makes one wonder how advanced the OS will be by Sept 2015 if BlackBerry continues at this pace.
    09-01-14 05:22 PM
    BlackBerry invented the smartphone business. Apple took it and turned into the touchscreen party we see today.

There would be NO BB10 without that. Period.

That said, thank you Steve Jobs for the iPhone. I wouldn't have the powerhouse Z30 without you!

As for BlackBerry 10's short but incredible life: RIM bought QNX back in 2010, for they acknowledged BBOS could only go so far and they would not survive without a new OS to go head-to-head with Android and iOS. Came 2011 they launched the PlayBook with Tablet OS 1.0 (which some of us called BlackBerry 8), followed by Tablet OS 2/2.1 in 2012 (BlackBerry 9). Then they started cooking BB10, which was originally being tested on Dev Alpha phones but could also run on the PB (and looked just like Tablet OS then).

So, BB10 has been in the oven for a bit longer than that. 10.2.1 was what most expected from 10.0. As it is, BB10 managed to change the perception about BlackBerry devices.

Now 10.3's task is to get people to take a second look at the OS that has been polished and ironed out few times for them.
    Woulda shoulda coulda, someone has to be first. Were it 1,000,000 lucky punchs that got us out of the stone age?

Period.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 05:36 PM
    Apple is innovative about your money. Haha

Hehehe
    09-01-14 06:43 PM
    I love 10.3, but guys, the innovation BlackBerry did in 2 years can't not be compared to the innovation Apple did in their 6 years.

First of all, most of the features iOS has are developed in the first 2 years as well. After that they slowed down their pace significantly. So even for iOS, their recent 4 years are much slower than their first 2 years too.

Secondly, if we just compare the first 2 years of iOS and BB10, it's still difficult. I would say iOS's first two years are more revolutionary than the first two year so BB10. At the same time, BB10 after the first 2 years are way more sophisicated than iOS after its first two years, not because BlackBerry is a better company, but because BB10 has more references such as iOS, Android, BBOS, as well as Web OS.

So while I am a fan of BB10. and dislike iOS in general, I can't possibly bring myself to say that BlackBerry is a better innovator than Apple.
    09-01-14 09:14 PM
    I love 10.3, but guys, the innovation BlackBerry did in 2 years can't not be compared to the innovation Apple did in their 6 years.

First of all, most of the features iOS has are developed in the first 2 years as well. After that they slowed down their pace significantly. So even for iOS, their recent 4 years are much slower than their first 2 years too.

Secondly, if we just compare the first 2 years of iOS and BB10, it's still difficult. I would say iOS's first two years are more revolutionary than the first two year so BB10. At the same time, BB10 after the first 2 years are way more sophisicated than iOS after its first two years, not because BlackBerry is a better company, but because BB10 has more references such as iOS, Android, BBOS, as well as Web OS.

So while I am a fan of BB10. and dislike iOS in general, I can't possibly bring myself to say that BlackBerry is a better innovator than Apple.
    Wow that's a solid valid point. I agree with what you are saying.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 09:52 PM
    No they did not invent the touch screen. They did make one that was actually usable and who people wanted to buy. Apple deserves that credit as much as I am a BlackBerry fan. It was the first touch screen device that was a major success.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but they were not the first to make a "usable" touchscreen either. I assume you are talking about the multi-touch capacitive touchscreen. Just to clear things up anything you think Apple was first to do, they weren't. All they did was make things popular.

They didn't have the first touchscreen on a phone.
    They didn't have the first multi-touch touch screen.
    They didn't make the first tablet.
    They were not the first to put a front-facing camera on their mobile phone for the reason of video chatting.
    They were not the first to make a portable mp3 player.

All they accomplished, and I give them full credit for, is properly marketing those ideas and making products with nice interfaces. That along with their ability to hype up their products have made them successful. But don't get it wrong, they were not the "first" to do anything...

I know you were pretty much saying the same thing, this wasn't really directly trying to contradict you, just quoted your statement and wanted to clarify for anyone who might believe in any of those things.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-01-14 11:44 PM
    I agree, but they were not the first to make a "usable" touchscreen either. I assume you are talking about the multi-touch capacitive touchscreen. Just to clear things up anything you think Apple was first to do, they weren't. All they did was make things popular.

They didn't have the first touchscreen on a phone.
    They didn't have the first multi-touch touch screen.
    They didn't make the first tablet.
    They were not the first to put a front-facing camera on their mobile phone for the reason of video chatting.
    They were not the first to make a portable mp3 player.

All they accomplished, and I give them full credit for, is properly marketing those ideas and making products with nice interfaces. That along with their ability to hype up their products have made them successful. But don't get it wrong, they were not the "first" to do anything...

I know you were pretty much saying the same thing, this wasn't really directly trying to contradict you, just quoted your statement and wanted to clarify for anyone who might believe in any of those things.

Can you share who was the first that made multitouch screen?

One valid point here is they pack good technology with very nice interface.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 02:01 AM
    I think 10.3 is the best os 10 Release... it's great but it's sad, that some of the basic usability features had needed such a long time..same with some critical bugs and usability issues that finally seems to fixed.
    Yeah I know it's and android are much longer on the market, but bb10 isn't BlackBerrys first OS and from sketch or not they should know Wich basic features a smartphone today should need.

It's late..
    Too late but better then never I love my z10 more and more

Wenn du das Weinen verlernt hast, bist du bereits tot (Sayumi Whisp)
    09-02-14 02:12 AM
    Apples influence has definitely sharpened everybody up. Before the iPhone the industry was divided amongst itself. They each did what they did best, as a company and people bought it. BlackBerry did enterprise email, Nokia built the model. T of smartphones etc. But if the product wasn't great, you really didn't have much choice. Apple changed that. They pulled everybody in. Now the toaster makers have to figure out how to make a microwave make toast, and people will buy it.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Wenn du das Weinen verlernt hast, bist du bereits tot (Sayumi Whisp)
    09-02-14 02:14 AM
    First of all, most of the features iOS has are developed in the first 2 years as well.
    That would be the 3GS without any multitasking then.

Yes, it was the fourth product iteration after 3 years that introduced multitasking to the platform. Nonetheless the iPhone was successful as heck. Which shows that the iPhone was a feature phone substitute up until 2010.

Posted via CB10
    BBPandy likes this.
    09-02-14 03:19 AM
    I have really started to like my z30 more and more after installing 10.3.0.1052 on it two days ago. The z30 seems like a new device and the user interface looks more up to date and the new features I discover every day make the the z30 on par with any device out there.

One major concern I have is when I read about who did what and when in the smartphone revolution, all that is water over the bridge. One major issue is IOS and Android have been embedded into the culture here in the USA.

I have seen and heard allot of folks ***** and complain about how bad IOS is and how Android sucks, but they are not going to give up their iPhones or Galaxy's anytime soon.

For BlackBerry to get get folks to cross back over, they are going to need to release a device with a "wow" factor and it better have a price point that's better then the competition or they are not going to buy it.

I have also noticed in the past few years that the words "value added" have come into play when consumers and/or business folks are buying a new device in today's highly competitive smartphone market.

I think the passport will attract a few folks over to BlackBerry, but not in the numbers they need to regain market share here in the USA. This will also depend on the price of the device which I am hoping they price at or around 499.00 US.

Remember folks, even corporate America is cutting back on capital equipment purchases and why do you think the BYOD programs are being implemented, not out the goodness of their heart, but to save money, period.

I just hope the marketing folks up there are reading the post on these forums and price the passport and classic to be attractive not only for the corporate folks, but the consumer who is looking for a good value added product, only time will tell.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1052)
    09-02-14 04:41 AM
    The 10.3 leak has been great to experience for the last week. The hub is so efficient now. The camera UI is completely different and how they implement panorama is pretty cool, its still full of bugs as far as video recording but I'm sure that will be worked out on the official release.

The UI of 10.3 three is very refreshing and it's felt throughout the OS. The Advanced interactions is a nice touch ( lift to wake, flip to mute, flip to save power. There is also a great feature called data management that tracks all you data usage and gives you warnings when you reach a preset percentage.

There are A LOT of small little changes that increase productivity and give more customizations.

My one complaint.....no notifications profiles!! Seriously they need to get on that.

Zed30
    09-02-14 05:30 AM
    Can you share who was the first that made multitouch screen?

One valid point here is they pack good technology with very nice interface.

Posted via CB10
    Don't know the name, but the multitouch touchscreen was shown off by some KID during a TED talk (or something similar) about a year before Apple first used it.

09-02-14 07:14 AM
    The only feature I see iOS lacking natively is a file manager. If iOS added that with the ability to attach files natively through email I really don't see any advantage of BB10 over iOS from any standpoint. Again that feature is why I use BB10 for work and its a great feature, but what else would be missing if Apple added that feature? I'm not trying to troll here at all but I am curious to what else you guys think would be missing from iOS that BB10 has?
    09-02-14 07:37 AM
    The only feature I see iOS lacking natively is a file manager. If iOS added that with the ability to attach files natively through email I really don't see any advantage of BB10 over iOS from any standpoint. Again that feature is why I use BB10 for work and its a great feature, but what else would be missing if Apple added that feature? I'm not trying to troll here at all but I am curious to what else you guys think would be missing from iOS that BB10 has?
    Besides the file manager did you forget the Hub, and Peek functions and the email and messaging system in IOS is terrible.

09-02-14 07:40 AM
    Besides the file manager did you forget the Hub, and Peek functions and the email and messaging system in IOS is terrible.

The fact they they don't include a file manager says so much about Apple.

So sad that they are preying on an trapping the most vulnerable.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 07:54 AM

Those are both available in iOS but just handled differently in the notification system. I can pull down from the top and see what notifications are there without leaving what I'm doing. Not sure what you mean with the email and messaging system.
    Last edited by donnation; 09-02-14 at 08:47 AM.
    09-02-14 07:56 AM
    Don't know the name, but the multitouch touchscreen was shown off by some KID during a TED talk (or something similar) about a year before Apple first used it.

Not a year before the iPhone, MANY years before. Multi-touch was invented in like the 80's. (but not on phones)....i could be wrong (& probably am) but I think it was LG who first put multi-touch on a phone....a very ugly phone (I've seen pictures)

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 08:46 AM
143 1234 ...