I would like both BBM and iMessage to be available on all platforms. To be honest, it would be very difficult to totally replace my iPhone with the Z10 because I rely so much on iMessage.
    If anything WhatsApp can replace imessage but it cannot replace bbm.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 11:08 AM
    Also with BBM you add and accept your BBM contacts. Whereas with whatsapp, if you have them in your contacts, you can message them or people can message you. I like BBMs way better.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 12:27 PM
    There's room for both to coexist, they both serve a different purpose.

BlackBerry should not go after whatsapp's business.
    What do you see as the key difference between the purposes of BBM and WhatsApp?
    03-04-13 12:48 PM
    What do you see as the key difference between the purposes of BBM and WhatsApp?
    As I said before, bbm is a social network to me and as such you simply don't want everybody on it. Even if I only had my wife on it ( as I did in the beginning) it would still be worth it. There is also the important roaming savings that brings, over the years it has saved

WhatsApp I see as just a communication tool instead of testing or email.

WhatsApp is in not as refined as bbm and I never felt the pleasure that I get from using bbm. It really brings eye contact to messaging, conversations just seem more personal.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 01:04 PM
    I have a Nexus 4 and my first 3 smartphones were Blackberry's. I don't know anybody that uses Whatsapp. Google Talk and Facebook Messenger are free, cross platform and can do almost everything BBM can do. Facebook continues to add features to Facebook Messenger all the time. I'm not doubting that BBM is a great messaging client, but a large majority of smartphone users can't use it and have never heard of it. 99% of my contacts use Facebook
    03-04-13 01:07 PM
    If anything WhatsApp can replace imessage but it cannot replace bbm.

Posted via CB10
    No it can't. WhatsApp doesn't work on my Macbook or iPad, so right away I cant even consider it.
    03-04-13 01:20 PM
    I have a Nexus 4 and my first 3 smartphones were Blackberry's. I don't know anybody that uses Whatsapp. Google Talk and Facebook Messenger are free, cross platform and can do almost everything BBM can do. Facebook continues to add features to Facebook Messenger all the time. I'm not doubting that BBM is a great messaging client, but a large majority of smartphone users can't use it and have never heard of it. 99% of my contacts use Facebook
    Facebook would never be considered for Enterprise chatting. Google Talk has a shot, but they do not have an official iOS client (unbelievably).
    03-04-13 01:23 PM
    As I said before, bbm is a social network to me and as such you simply don't want everybody on it. Even if I only had my wife on it ( as I did in the beginning) it would still be worth it. There is also the important roaming savings that brings, over the years it has saved

WhatsApp is in not as refined as bbm and I never felt the pleasure that I get from using bbm. It really brings eye contact to messaging, conversations just seem more personal.

Posted via CB10
    This makes little sense. You like BBM so much that if everybody was using it, you would like it less?
    03-04-13 01:24 PM
    This makes little sense. You like BBM so much that if everybody was using it, you would like it less?
    Yes, lol, ever been part of a more exclusive group/club etc? I like that it's exclusive to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 01:27 PM

Whether or not BBM is more refined than WhatsApp, your claim was that the two services serve different purposes. BBM is for you a social network, whereas WhatsApp is merely a communication tool. I get that BBM may function as a social network for you, if you and your contacts in fact use it that way. I don't see, however, how WhatsApp fails to function in the same way, if its users want it to. Like BBM, WhatsApp supports the creation of groups, which is the heart of social networking.

And again, the "You simply don't want everybody on it" is puzzling. BBM already has millions of users with whom you will never have any contact. They don't impinge upon you in any way. As far as that goes, WhatsApp is the same. Presumably all these people that you don't want on BBM are people that you would never contact anyway, so I just don't see why you, or anyone, should care. Is it just that you don't like the idea of them being there? If so, that's just another subjective preference and hardly a reason why BBM shouldn't expand to other platforms.

To put it another way: If BBM goes to other platforms, how will this impinge upon you, or any other BBM user? It will allow, but not compel, you to communicate with non-BB users. If you choose not to, how will your BBM experience change?
    Knightcrawler and makonaima like this.
    03-04-13 01:34 PM
    Yes, lol, ever been part of a more exclusive group/club etc? I like that it's exclusive to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    But it sure makes switching to BB extremely difficult for many people.
    03-04-13 01:35 PM
    Whether or not BBM is more refined than WhatsApp, your claim was that the two services serve different purposes. BBM is for you a social network, whereas WhatsApp is merely a communication tool. I get that BBM may function as a social network for you, if you and your contacts in fact use it that way. I don't see, however, how WhatsApp fails to function in the same way, if its users want it to. Like BBM, WhatsApp supports the creation of groups, which is the heart of social networking.

And again, the "You simply don't want everybody on it" is puzzling. BBM already has millions of users with whom you will never have any contact. They don't impinge upon you in any way. As far as that goes, WhatsApp is the same. Presumably all these people that you don't want on BBM are people that you would never contact anyway, so I just don't see why you, or anyone, should care. Is it just that you don't like the idea of them being there? If so, that's just another subjective preference and hardly a reason why BBM shouldn't expand to other platforms.

To put it another way: If BBM goes to other platforms, how will this impinge upon you, or any other BBM user? It will allow, but not compel, you to communicate with non-BB users. If you choose not to, how will your BBM experience change?

+1
    Well said
    03-04-13 01:41 PM
    I am one of those that wishes that BBM was cross platform. However, I would definitely do this in a very strategic way to try and ensure that the experience, functionality, etc on the BB10 platform is more/better/ etc than on other platforms. The way that Blackberry By Design connects into BBM is one example that would not be available on other platforms.

Not sure exactly how to craft the value proposition - but done smartly - it would add functionality to BB users, and would create consideration by those not on the platform. Especially if the rest of BB10 closes the gap to other phones. As we know - that is already happening. Regardless of the tech spec mumbo jumbo of the next HTC and Samsungs, or Apples I6 - the phone experience is really what is most important.

Honestly, Google is doing the same with Maps/Nav. I am sure that people using that (which is unparalleled) on the IOS platform are thinking (hmm, I might just go over to Android to get this constantly updated, etc.
    03-04-13 01:45 PM

For a start WhatsApp doesn't have read receipts which is a huge part of the personal feeling bbm brings, it doesn't have a long list of the user's updates trought the day, as far as I know you can't see what music or video they listen too or listened trought the day and of course, no video calling etc.

I don't expect you to understand why I want it exclusive to BlackBerry, it's one of those things, call it being selfish if you want.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 02:05 PM
    I know I will get slaughtered here for saying it, but I actually feel iMessage is that best service (only because I can also use it on my laptop). If you live only in the Apple world nothing can beat it. However, it would be great if it was also offered on BB and Windows (or if BBM was offered on iOS and OSX).
    03-04-13 02:11 PM
    For a start WhatsApp doesn't have read receipts which is a huge part of the personal feeling bbm brings, it doesn't have a long list of the user's updates trought the day, as far as I know you can't see what music or video they listen too or listened trought the day and of course, no video calling etc.

I don't expect you to understand why I want it exclusive to BlackBerry, it's one of those things, call it being selfish if you want.

Also I would be worried about the extra load on the noc servers that would bring.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 02:13 PM
    Hmmmm... What about offering Android/iOS/Windows a BBM Lite version? Dunno if this has been suggested before.

Anyway, give text/sms functionality (low bandwidth, and data) so they can communicate but not the full functionality of video chat, voice chat, screen share... Would be a great way to advertise the new BB10 platform to non-Blackberry users? There may be a good reason as to why this is a dumb idea and if you think so feel free to tell me. I can take it...
    bobauckland likes this.
    03-04-13 03:09 PM
    I have no BBM contacts, other than the Playbooks in my house or that friends have. BBM to me is useless. I am missing some kind of decent cross platform messaging APP and cant wait for them to start appearing. if BBM became cross platform then I may have use for it, but seeing as it wont let me contact a playbook I don't see a need for it in my world
    03-04-13 03:17 PM
    No...I am going with no....
    03-04-13 03:34 PM
    Facebook would never be considered for Enterprise chatting. Google Talk has a shot, but they do not have an official iOS client (unbelievably).
    Not sure what that has to do with this topic. I was taking about a messaging app, not some enterprise client. How do all the Android and IOS users chat in enterprise now?
    03-04-13 03:50 PM
    But it sure makes switching to BB extremely difficult for many people.
    And that is all BBRY is concerned with. Re: a previous point you made, I don't know what the heck Google is doing with Google Talk. It's getting redundant, as Google now has two full-fledged video chat clients (G+ and Gtalk), both of which can be used from desktops. Can they replace BBM though for BB users? They may not have to.

I was reading an article critical of Google, Facebook, BBRY and Apple and how they failed to capitalize on the cross-platform messaging hole and allowed Whatsapp to become the top messenger. The idea is that Facebook is trying very hard to catch up, but BBRY might still have the best chance is if opens up.
    03-04-13 04:00 PM
    Not sure what that has to do with this topic. I was taking about a messaging app, not some enterprise client. How do all the Android and IOS users chat in enterprise now?
    Google Talk is a huge one for my company since we migrated away from Exchange to Google Enterprise Apps. Also since we have huge amount of iOS and macbook users iMessage is widely used. Being able to message from your laptop is a huge plus. Requiring every employee to create a facebook account just is not going to happen.
    03-04-13 04:59 PM
    And that is all BBRY is concerned with. Re: a previous point you made, I don't know what the heck Google is doing with Google Talk. It's getting redundant, as Google now has two full-fledged video chat clients (G+ and Gtalk), both of which can be used from desktops. Can they replace BBM though for BB users? They may not have to.

I was reading an article critical of Google, Facebook, BBRY and Apple and how they failed to capitalize on the cross-platform messaging hole and allowed Whatsapp to become the top messenger. The idea is that Facebook is trying very hard to catch up, but BBRY might still have the best chance is if opens up.
    There is a rumor that Google will unveil a unified messaging service in their next big Google I/O show later this year.
    03-04-13 05:01 PM
    BBM isn't based on phone number. How would it work across platforms? A user account ID?
    I suspect a BlackBerry ID, the way the new BBM works.
    03-04-13 05:01 PM
    I know I will get slaughtered here for saying it, but I actually feel iMessage is that best service (only because I can also use it on my laptop). If you live only in the Apple world nothing can beat it. However, it would be great if it was also offered on BB and Windows (or if BBM was offered on iOS and OSX).
    Quite honestly, I'm not impressed with iMessage. I find it lacks BBM's breadth of features (no, BBM connected apps, no GROUPS, no statuses etc). I do like the desktop version on Mac. I also like the concept of the message transferring across the devices in theory. In practice, it flakes out a great deal for me. For example, an iMessage will appear on the notifications of my Mac, but not appear in the Messages app or my iPhone, but then will appear on my iPod. It's really screwy at times.
    03-04-13 05:04 PM
180 ... 23456 ...