Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes
  1. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will BBM be released to iOS and Android in March?

Just curious. Hate to see such a great tool wasted.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.

Global Posts
    5,802 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

No. Just... no.

Posted via CB10

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    Thanked by 7:
    Chrisd534 (03-05-2013),  el_excelsior (03-04-2013),  erodenero (03-04-2013),  flaminSaganaki (03-04-2013),  goku_vegeta (03-04-2013),  MC_A_DOT (03-05-2013),  SebastianNap (03-05-2013) 
    rav813, BLu, habs_fan and 14 others like this.
  3. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default Re: Will BBM be released to iOS and Android in March?

Is it in the plan though? Somehow I have the impression that BBRY is Ok to release BBM to other platforms now.
    CrackBerry Master

I highly doubt bbm will ever go to iOS let alone android. What does iOS share with other platforms? Nothing

Global Posts
    5,802 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

The only even remote possibility I can see is making it available to corporate clients through Balance.

Posted via CB10

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2B5A11B6

It's a possibility since if U guys could recall, thor mentioned that if Z10 is a success, BB could possibly release BB10 to other smartphone manufacturers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

bbm to android and iphone over monthly subscription basis !!
    they gonna earn lots n lots of money !!
    it wont effect the sales on bb10 as its going to provide it for free !!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    PIN
    28ba4c41

This cannot happen. Down at my school many had blackberry now its all this blackberry is going s*** or its to slow etc and now have switched over to iosbut guess what........... They keep there blackberry on them at all times aswell just for bbm therefore I know bbm is the only thing keeping many users with there blackberry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jafrul View Post
    It's a possibility since if U guys could recall, thor mentioned that if Z10 is a success, BB could possibly release BB10 to other smartphone manufacturers.
    That is to create devices totally different. They would allow HTC for example to pay BlackBerry to use their operating system on their phone type deal.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

No forgette it
    PiotrBB10 likes this.
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    15,449 Global Posts

All cross-platform messaging apps such as Viber, WhatsApp and Kik are copies of BBM. As BBM is single platform, it can either be considered a USP or a millstone around BlackBerry's neck.
    It would be great to see it go cross-platform but would it be as secure? Possibly not.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Wohaaa what people seem to forget it that BlackBerry installed this infrastructure and allows only BBM traffic over it because some percentage of the sale price of your phone is paying for this infrastructure. So unless they license it, in which case the "App" might not be free I see no co-mingling with other devices using BBM

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    Gnomesane (03-04-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2B1786EF

Business wise it makes a lot of sense. We are talking about 100's of millions of potential customers. A yearly subscription fee for the best messaging app is something that would create tremendous revenue for BlackBerry and would finally bring all the ignorant iusers out of the dark !

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    Just curious. Hate to see such a great tool wasted.
    Are you saying it is wasted because it is on BlackBerry?
    Check out my app: CChecker
    currentodysseys likes this.

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Why would BlackBerry put bbm on Android when Google won't put Google maps on BlackBerry?

Posted from my Dev Alpha
  16. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    Are you saying it is wasted because it is on BlackBerry?
    No, I am saying it's a waste for me because none of my family or close friends are on BBM, because they are on other platforms. And I believe this is the case for most of the BlackBerry users.

If BBRY likes to leverage the awesomeness of BBM, they need to get people to use it as much as possible. Pushing it to other platform is one of the options, which even though I can't remember where I read it but I did remember it was considered by BBRY recently.

Let me do a quick search...
  17. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

The idea was apparently axed by Thor in May, 2012.... How come I got this impression that he was talking about this idea again sometime in Q4, when we were all waiting for BB10 in the darkest times.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,810 Global Posts

No, it will not go cross platform and it shouldn't. Look at it this way.... when people made the switch to other platforms, the one thing they missed was BBM. Now that BB10 is here, and there is sooooo much more than just BBM, it's no longer the only thing people will love about their phones. BBM, especially now that it has video chat and screen share, is a major selling feature that will be a part of bringing people back, and attracting new people to the platform. To gain users of the platform is far more important than gaining users of other platforms to 1 feature.
    r0v3rT3N likes this.

Global Posts
    6,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Have we heard what BBRY plans to do with their LiveProfile acquisition?
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts

I have a feeling that the Live Profile was a mistake since it was probably done by Jim Balsille who wanted to turn the company into services only and make BBM cross platform but those plan were scrapped by Thorsten.
    CrackBerry Abuser

What is LiveProfile?
    Iphone 3gs < Blackberry Bold 9780 < Blackberry Torch 9800(for a couple weeks) < Blackberry Bold 9900 < Iphone 5 < BB Z10

Global Posts
    5,810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrianod1993 View Post
    What is LiveProfile?
    It's a cross platform messenger.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,052 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sakin13 View Post
    Business wise it makes a lot of sense. We are talking about 100's of millions of potential customers. A yearly subscription fee for the best messaging app is something that would create tremendous revenue for BlackBerry and would finally bring all the ignorant iusers out of the dark !

Posted via CB10
    I doubt people on other platforms would pay for it. It doesn't have anything unique in high demand that other cross-platform messengers don't have (re: chat), and I don't think the videochat is enough of a differentiator, impressive as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Why would BlackBerry put bbm on Android when Google won't put Google maps on BlackBerry?

Posted from my Dev Alpha
    Ah... but who needs who more?
    Donvald likes this.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,052 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    No, it will not go cross platform and it shouldn't. Look at it this way.... when people made the switch to other platforms, the one thing they missed was BBM. Now that BB10 is here, and there is sooooo much more than just BBM, it's no longer the only thing people will love about their phones. BBM, especially now that it has video chat and screen share, is a major selling feature that will be a part of bringing people back, and attracting new people to the platform. To gain users of the platform is far more important than gaining users of other platforms to 1 feature.
    Do you think that BBM, beefed up as it is, is strong enough of a feature to bring people back?

I am not arguing with you... just trying to pick your mind. Here is my thought: it is an excellent feature, but is it the platform feature?
    Donvald likes this.

Global Posts
    5,810 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    Do you think that BBM, beefed up as it is, is strong enough of a feature to bring people back?

I am not arguing with you... just trying to pick your mind. Here is my thought: it is an excellent feature, but is it the platform feature?
    No, definitely not by itself. The phone itself is great and stands alone in that factor and would attract new, and old users without it (in my opinion). I'm just saying that BBM is a great feature that you cannot find anywhere else and it is one major thing that those who have left, missed. And correct me if I'm wrong, can you screen share on any other platform? I really don't know but this seems to be really different and can come in really handy. Especially since you don't have to be on wifi to do so.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast