I fear this would continue until they fix the network issue. Let me elaborate. A lot of my friends (ios and android) complain that they send messages to me and I don't get them especially when they are in a poor reception area. How long till BlackBerry fixes this issue
    Please someone post this to BlackBerry.icanmakeitbetter.com
    Can't seem to post there.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zocster; 09-29-14 at 03:15 AM.
    09-29-14 03:03 AM
    My biggest issue with BBM is sending pictures, usually fails when I'm outside. I have a 4G plan in HK which is very fast but sending pictures to my contacts 60% of the time register errors. I end up emailing my friend the pictures which defeats the purpose of using an instant messenger. I rarely have issues sending pictures using WhatsApp.
    09-29-14 03:19 AM
    Exchanging pins is secure, but its an added hassle too.

Posted via CB10 on my Smart Black Z10
    09-29-14 03:32 AM
    Answer is simple, most devices are apple and android, whatsapp is nr 1 for messaging and people will not change suddenly to BBM, for other platforms BBM is history and will stay history

Posted via CB10
    Helvitis likes this.
    09-29-14 03:34 AM
    Reliability is not good either. Especially with Windows Phone. Android and iOS are okay, as long as they got good reception. But BlackBerry on Windows Phones is just.. not very reliable. Some messages are sent, some sent arrived late etc2.
    09-29-14 03:58 AM
    BBM was optimized specifically for BlackBerry devices. Now with BBM X, the challenges are a lot, as the platforms have their own restrictions.
    For instance, iOS and Windows needs the application to remain running in order to send/receive messages. I have a Lumia and tested the BBM on it. Everything works, but once I close the application and open it again, it takes time to load everything and no messages sent to it are received while the application is closed.
    I'm sure there are more restrictions than just that, as each platform operates differently.

Posted via CB10
    nico2004 likes this.
    09-29-14 09:10 AM
    I couldn't sent messages via android app without WiFi so...
    09-29-14 01:45 PM
    I couldn't sent messages via android app without WiFi so...
    That's weird.. it worked on my cousins' android phones without a wireless connection.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 05:27 PM
    BBM was optimized specifically for BlackBerry devices. Now with BBM X, the challenges are a lot, as the platforms have their own restrictions.
    For instance, iOS and Windows needs the application to remain running in order to send/receive messages. I have a Lumia and tested the BBM on it. Everything works, but once I close the application and open it again, it takes time to load everything and no messages sent to it are received while the application is closed.
    I'm sure there are more restrictions than just that, as each platform operates differently.

Posted via CB10
    On iOS, the app doesn't need to be running. BB can send a silent push notification to the device, wake the app up, and have it download the new messages in the background. This is how other messaging apps do it, and this is how Apple recommends that you do it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    09-29-14 10:38 PM
    On iOS, the app doesn't need to be running. BB can send a silent push notification to the device, wake the app up, and have it download the new messages in the background. This is how other messaging apps do it, and this is how Apple recommends that you do it.

You are correct, that is how applications work on iOS, but perhaps that wasn't implemented by BBM developers or certain APIs are restricting/disrupting the flow.
    The most common complaint by BlackBerry users is that when they send a message to an iOS user, it doesn't deliver till the person opens BBM X.
    Hopefully with more updates, these annoyances will be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 01:07 AM
    BBM groups is the main reason why it will never catch up to whatsapp.

And yes I've sent many requests to blackberry to improve things on BBM.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 03:30 PM
    Not over here, I still find WhatsApp too intrusive, anyone in my over 1500 contact list can send me a message as long as they have my phone number, that has been one of my main peeves with WhatsApp. BBM works fine between my Android and ios people, I've got an android phone as well and BBM works fine on it between all my contacts on various platforms too.
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-30-14 03:39 PM
    Nowadays, people use group chat mostly, for which whatapp can do much better than BBM, for example, HD Picture sharing.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 07:50 PM

Nope... sadly does NOT work that way always... well documented in MANY threads.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 01:17 AM

Even whatsapp for iOS requires the app to be open before messages are downloaded. I have an iphone 5. Not sure if this has changed with iOS8 so far looks the same though

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 02:38 AM
    Nowadays, people use group chat mostly, for which whatapp can do much better than BBM, for example, HD Picture sharing.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed 100%. You can share media, files and location in WhatsApp Groups which you can't do on BBM Groups and Multi-person chats are also limited in what you can share. Which makes no sense to me being that sharing in individual chats on BBM has all of the features. Why is BlackBerry taking so long in adding all of the same sharing features currently in existence in individual chats to Group and multi-person chats?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:20 AM
    Agreed 100%. You can share media, files and location in WhatsApp Groups which you can't do on BBM Groups and Multi-person chats are also limited in what you can share. Which makes no sense to me being that sharing in individual chats on BBM has all of the features. Why is BlackBerry taking so long in adding all of the same sharing features currently in existence in individual chats to Group and multi-person chats?

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with you I don't understand what is taking Bookings so long...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:56 AM