Shoulda been more specific but I was referring to conferencing apps, like GoToMeeting. I realize it's not quite the same.
    Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-22-13 08:56 PM
    for me it's the privacy/control. honestly, whatsapp has gotten so good and so popular that it's hard to make the argument for using BBM anymore. but whatsapp is horrible at privacy. people message you out of nowhere and the account it tied to your phone #. the Pin system on BBM solves this very well. however BBM is way behind on features for example being able to share videos or location. also the bbm experience on iOS is generally unintuitive.
    You can share location on BBM. As for videos, I load them in Dropbox and send the link via BBM.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:03 PM
    BBM groups is my main point.

Joint calendar = yes please
    10-22-13 10:46 PM
    BBM groups is my main point.

Joint calendar = yes please
    You don't need BBM for shared calendars.

Don't most people use Facebook groups for that kinda stuff these days?

That's a serious question, causeni do not collaborate in that way.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-22-13 11:05 PM
    I have one that works 99% of the time, why switch from whatsapp to BBM? because whatsapp is going to start charging an annual service fee. I'm surprised most people don't know about that and they go like "What?! are you for real?" so I go yep, show them the link and say "better start getting used to BBM and building up that contacts list".

Now for that other 1% who thinks they are boss and can afford to pay that $1, I respond to them by saying "have fun chatting with nobody. just because you are rich (stupid) enough to pay that fee, doesn't mean your friends are"

they all instantly stfu and downloaded BBM
    10-23-13 12:46 AM
    Oooh the ability to easily block people is a good one! It's very true. I will have to add that one to my list!

The compression of pictures makes sense in terms of using less data also. A lot of times if I'm sending a pic to someone, having it compressed is actually better, but there are times when it would be nice to have the option to send a full-size pic.

Thanks for the article.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    There's actually an option to request a high quality picture. Just long press on the received photo to bring up the context menu, and select the "HQ" icon.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    Bor Navas likes this.
    10-23-13 01:24 AM
    I don't use watsapp. Can't let people play around my number. Bbm is the way to go, and it's been reliable after all.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    southlander likes this.
    10-23-13 01:37 AM
    Delivered and read are 2 diff things, I know if one has read my msg line by line.

Whatsapp uses phone number, I have a lifetime service free on one, and I need to reregister a new number on travels. BBM? As long as you have data it don't give a rats a%% what my phone number is.

Yes voice and video are coming soon, and no I won't bother switching to others. Have you tried BB to BB BBM voice and video? Amazing is understatement.

WRONG. The second check explicitly tells you it was delivered to the recipient's phone.

WRONG. Absolutely no problem switching out SIM's on WhatsApp. Traveled with my US phone and US-number-based-WhatsApp account to countries in Europe and Asia this summer, got a local SIM in every single country and WhatsApp worked flawlessly.

USELESS. Coming soon? Well other platforms offer this NOW.

It would really be helpful if people would do a little research before posting talking points for others, lest they contribute to others' embarrassment when they spread mis

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    10-23-13 01:51 AM
    Hey if anybody wants to chat my BB PIN is 7BDC2011 Just got BBM on my Note 3
    10-23-13 04:35 PM
    I have one that works 99% of the time, why switch from whatsapp to BBM? because whatsapp is going to start charging an annual service fee. I'm surprised most people don't know about that and they go like "What?! are you for real?" so I go yep, show them the link and say "better start getting used to BBM and building up that contacts list".

Now for that other 1% who thinks they are boss and can afford to pay that $1, I respond to them by saying "have fun chatting with nobody. just because you are rich (stupid) enough to pay that fee, doesn't mean your friends are"

i believe on Android it's $1 a year for whatsapp. on iOS is was a one time $0.99 purchase. now on iOS it's free for life if you already installed it but new users now have to pay $1 a year.

i'm not one to complain about paying a buck for an app if i actually use it. but i can see how this is a barrier to entry to your average consumer.
    Last edited by avmsam; 10-26-13 at 07:36 PM.
    10-26-13 01:56 PM

I'm surprised somebody hasn't laughed in your face yet... If you can't afford $1/year to pay for whatsapp then you should not have a smartphone... All that aside, I hope BBM does well.
    solitude1984 likes this.
    10-26-13 03:44 PM
    1) No compression of photos or video files
    2) provide status, location and availability. Set your status to do not disturb to let your contacts know you will not respond
    3) tied to a pin /BBID so you can control spam, or block users. Control who you allow to be your contact
    4) changing phone numbers doesn't mean you now have to get all you contacts to change your info because it is tied to a bbid that follows you no matter where you go. Change devices and pins and it simply pushes forward to your contacts. All contacts are restored automatically to your new device when you sign in with your existing bbid
    5) Know when your contact has received and read the message. Also know when your contact is typing back to you so you can wait for the reply before you type something again
    6) ping
    7) not effected by roaming so no additional charges apply if you are out of area.
    8) if on wifi it uses no data at all
    9) profile can have unique photo
    10) fast...really fast. also very reliable
    11) secure
    12) if you are BlackBerry to BlackBerry then you have voice and video calling. This will also happen cross platform in the very near future
    13) no character limit....type as long a message as you want
    14) groups
    15) channels
    16) scan in new contacts via bar code (no typing in a number)
    17) follow your contacts updates
    18) sort contacts via different available filters
    19) mush easier to send a broadcast message. And your contacts will know the message they got was a broadcast
    20 ) BBM just sounds cooler than SMS or whatsapp. What do you say to people for whatsapp. "Hey buddy, whatsapp me"? Just doesn't have the same ring to it

If I missed something, feel free to add to my list

CB10'n it.....via my Z

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    10-26-13 05:54 PM
37 12