http://gadgeup.com/eng/2013/10/23/wh...ndroid-device/
    Last edited by ukmight; 11-06-13 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Moved to a blog
    10-23-13 05:10 AM
    Nice summary, I have had a lot of resistance from my ios friends as a lot of them don't care about some of the advantages like security. The waiting in line isn't helping either though.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 05:14 AM
    7 is a tentative for me. It counts when it's actually here.

I do give you group chat. It's a great feature versus regular broadcast.

I know it's not unique to BBM, but with the whole package, it is a nice thing to have.
    10-23-13 05:18 AM
    I am confident that BlackBerry will get BBM Voice and Video cross platform but the Screen Share seems tentative to me. Let us see what is in the store.

7 is a tentative for me. It counts when it's actually here.

I do give you group chat. It's a great feature versus regular broadcast.

I know it's not unique to BBM, but with the whole package, it is a nice thing to have.
    10-23-13 05:53 AM
    I'm doing a trial of ChatOn and BBM side by side on my GS3. Will have some thoughts later (I've used ChatOn quite a bit, so should not take too long).
    10-23-13 09:29 AM
    I'm doing a trial of ChatOn and BBM side by side on my GS3. Will have some thoughts later (I've used ChatOn quite a bit, so should not take too long).
    Chat on isn't cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 09:35 AM
    Chat on isn't cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    Oh God...

ChatOn has apps for:

Web
    Bada
    Android
    iOS
    Samsung Feature Phones
    BBOS
    Windows Phone

http://www.chaton.com

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-23-13 09:37 AM
    Oh God...

ChatOn has apps for:

Web
    Bada
    Android
    iOS
    Samsung Feature Phones
    BBOS
    Windows Phone

http://www.chaton.com

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/23/vy5ena6e.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    Really. My bad. Never knew that.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 09:53 AM
    OK, let's analyse these apart one by one:

Security: So you must have heard from a lot of people saying BBM is a secure service and might wonder why is it more secure than other services what does it have to do with my normal daily conversations. All of BlackBerry's servers are routed only through the BlackBerry servers unlike other services such as Whatsapp which use Google Cloud services or Apple's servers for routing the messages before they reach their servers. This makes BBM much lesser susceptible to phishing since there are much lesser points of attack. It is for this reason and Googles mandates for always on services, that you see the BBM icon in your notifications all the time. Secondly, BlackBerry uses highly secure encryption algorithms to which even they do not have the decryption keys (except for countries such as India whose Government forced BlackBerry to alter their algos for security purposes) that makes it nearly impossible to spy on your conversations. Further, BBM does not store your messages on the server once they are delivered to your device. You have heard of a recent news of some Pro-Palestenian hackers attacking WhatsApp but would have never heard such a thing for BBM. The iMessage may also be a secure service (I would not compare the securities of it against BBM) but cannot be in the same category since it does not allow you to communicate with your friends on other platforms.
    You can be at ease while sharing any information within your family such as passwords, Credit card numbers, etc over BBM. Over WhatsApp, I would be a little concerned.
    Nobody gives a hoot about security on an IM client. This isn't corporate email, nor is it national security. This is casual chatting. No one with any sense uses an IM client for highly confidential information. No one with any sense uses an IM client and has the expectation of privacy. This "security" nonsense spouted by the fanboy community here constantly is nothing more than a red herring.

Privacy: I am sure a lot of you out there love updating your display pics and statuses over the IMs such as WhatsApp or BBM, but would not want a lot of people to see these updates. FOr example, you have lied to your boss for a leave and want to update your status telling your friends you are having a great time on the holiday. You could land up in an awkward position due to updates just because your boss had your phone number and you could not hide your status update from him. With BBM, only those people whom you approve to be friends on through Pin sharing can view your updates. Using BBM would also put an end to the messages coming from random people who have your number.
    See "security" above. Repeating the same thing, but giving it a different heading doesn't mean you've made another point.

Engaging: BBM has always been praised for its messaging speed and its reliability along with the iconic D and the R. This as against only a delivery note on WhatsApp is much more engaging. iMessage has implemented this as well but then is again a single platform service. Another aspect is your online status shown by WhatsApp or Hangouts. The apps give away your status of being online only if you use the app (you dont even have to read the message) that would imply that you are trying to ignore the senders chat (not so pleasing for the sender). On the other hand, with the D and the R, you can chose to ignore the message and the sender would only think that you are too busy to read his chat since he hasn't received the R yet.
    Everyone has Delivery notifications. Numerous other platforms have Read notifications. I find BBM's to be most reliably delivered, but that reliability is far lower with new Android/iOS users than it was with BB users. I hope that improves, but I'm not confident. If it doesn't, BBM's last remaining advantage is gone.

Status Updates: BBM has an exclusive tab for updates of your friends that gives you a much better experience to find out what is on your friends minds than going into the profile of each and every friend to find out their status and picture updates.
    WhatsApp has status updates. Nothing new here. Next.

High resolution Pictures: By default BBM will send a low res picture when shared to save data which is a pretty smart implementation IMO. After receiving the picture, the receiver can chose to request for a High Res which only on approval by the sender will be sent. WhatsApp on the other hand always compressed pictures when being shared.
    So minor it barely matters, but OK.

The Ping: Ping is an effective way to catch the attention of the receiver.
    PING is annoying, and since BB10, the way it doesn't work on certain Notifications makes it useless to me. Next.

BBM Voice and Video and possibly Screen Share: This is going to be implemented in future updates and will surely be an amazing feature where you could speak to your friends over BBM. For sure Skype and other apps do this cross platform but they do not provide a great mobile experience as of now. They are already implemented on the BB10 devices and do work amazingly well. You could take a demo on any of your friend's BB10 devices. Whether screen share would come to your device or not is not known, but it would great if you wanted share contents with your friends without having to share attachments that are huge in size or too privy to be shared. This feature is already implemented in the BB10 devices but it is yet to be confirmed if it would be coming Cross Platform (although I dont see the harm). Let us hope it makes the leap.
    "Coming soon"? OK, next.

BBM Channels: BBM Channels is an exciting service that is currently in the Beta stage for the BB10 users and is an interesting concept of Social Networking. It allows you to create multiple channels to share content based on your interests. You can also follow many Channels without any of your friends actually finding out what you are following. (The creepy social network many of you might have always wanted!!) It is an interesting concept to follow and share your likes and going to come pretty soon the same BBM app as an update in the coming months. Stay tuned.
    "Coming soon"? OK, next. (Oh wait, I'll add BBM Channels are never going anywhere. Why bother with some phone-only social network when I can view/post Facebook & Twitter on numerous platforms. Non-starter that will never materialize into anything.)

Portability: The app is not tied to your phone number and you do not have to keep changing your IDs and sharing them with your friends everytime you change your SIM when travelling. Once synced to your BlackBerry ID, it will always remain tied to it.
    For the thousandth time, I had ZERO problem with WhatsApp changing SIM's all summer in 10 different countries with 10 different SIM's. WhatsApp is tied to a phone number at setup, but that doesn't need to be the number that you keep in your phone permanently. It would be good to do some research before posting inaccurate information in a desperate attempt to make BBM look like more than it is.

Also, "portability"? Really? On a client that you can only use on one device at a time? Take a look at iMessage; that has portability.

Cost: The BBM service will remain free of cost unlike WhatsApp that will charge you a dollar per year after the first year of service. ( I know a dollar is nothing but free is always better)
    A Dollar/year? Really? Grasping at straws. Also, many other services are 100% free that have every feature of BBM cross platform already. Next.

Nostalgia: And the last one would be nostalgia. I am sure a lot of you have been BlackBerry users at some point of time in the past and it sure was exciting to get those pings in the past. Using BBM on your favourite devices of the present will surely light up the nostalgia.
    Um...OK, whatever. Maybe in 2010. Now, nobody cares.

I am sure there may be many more reasons that might compel you to use BBM and feel free to share the same.
    Many more? I haven't seen one yet.

The app is not yet perfect and needs a bit of a tuning on the UI.
    First accurate thing in your post.
    10-23-13 10:38 AM
    Really. My bad. Never knew that.

Posted via CB10
    Really, you didn't know much about other IM platforms before posting your list.
    10-23-13 11:11 AM
    I am confident that BlackBerry will get BBM Voice and Video cross platform
    Why? Because of their track record to date?
    10-23-13 11:12 AM
    OK, let's analyse these apart one by one:

Nobody gives a hoot about security on an IM client. This isn't corporate email, nor is it national security. This is casual chatting. No one with any sense uses an IM client for highly confidential information. No one with any sense uses an IM client and has the expectation of privacy. This "security" nonsense spouted by the fanboy community here constantly is nothing more than a red herring.

See "security" above. Repeating the same thing, but giving it a different heading doesn't mean you've made another point.

Everyone has Delivery notifications. Numerous other platforms have Read notifications. I find BBM's to be most reliably delivered, but that reliability is far lower with new Android/iOS users than it was with BB users. I hope that improves, but I'm not confident. If it doesn't, BBM's last remaining advantage is gone.

PING is annoying, and since BB10, the way it doesn't work on certain Notifications makes it useless to me. Next.

"Coming soon"? OK, next.

"Coming soon"? OK, next. (Oh wait, I'll add BBM Channels are never going anywhere. Why bother with some phone-only social network when I can view/post Facebook & Twitter on numerous platforms. Non-starter that will never materialize into anything.)

For the thousandth time, I had ZERO problem with WhatsApp changing SIM's all summer in 10 different countries with 10 different SIM's. WhatsApp is tied to a phone number at setup, but that doesn't need to be the number that you keep in your phone permanently. It would be good to do some research before posting inaccurate information in a desperate attempt to make BBM look like more than it is.

Also, "portability"? Really? On a client that you can only use on one device at a time? Take a look at iMessage; that has portability.

A Dollar/year? Really? Grasping at straws. Also, many other services are 100% free that have every feature of BBM cross platform already. Next.

Many more? I haven't seen one yet.

First accurate thing in your post.
    Troll. LOL!

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 11:37 AM
    Why? Because of their track record to date?
    Coz that's the only way of monetization from BBM

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 11:37 AM
    Really, you didn't know much about other IM platforms before posting your list.
    Does chat on comprise of all the IM apps. Lol. I find you amusing . And I am supposed to know about Chat On because it is so widely popular among non Samsung users (sarcasm). Not a single person I know (including Sammy users) use the Chat On. They stick to WhatsApp on their devices.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ukmight; 10-23-13 at 04:24 PM.
    10-23-13 11:39 AM
    I did notice while back on the computer that you do not come across as a troll in your other posts and will hence care to respond.

I think I did manage to give a few examples of how a normal user could take advantage of the security (sharing passwords, credit card numbers). A lot of people come across this in their daily lives.

I do not think you read the posts coz these are completely two different things. You cannot pass off privacy and security as the same thing.

We agree on something here that the delivery notifications on BBM are better. The cross platform delivery notifications are buggy and hope that they fix it soon.

I never said WhatApp does not have the status updates, but it is a cumbersome task to follow the updates of your friends. BBM provides an exclusive tab dedicated to status updates that allows you to follow your friends updates more easily.

It would be minor for you but I am sure there are many people who would want to share high res pictures with their friends.

Will have to give this one to you. The ping hasnt been the best on BB10 and would really like some improvements including an option that would enable / disable pings being received by me.

"Coming soon"? OK, next.
    Next...

Isn't BBM going cross platform. A desktop client will sorely be missed and I am all game to convince BlackBerry to introduce a desktop client exclusively for BBM Channels. The BBM Channels offer a different kind of functionality and could become a success if the BBM4ALL becomes popular. IF the initial stats are anything to go by, it could be called a success (but then it has a long way to go compared to the 350 mill user base on WhatsApp).

I have been using WhatsApp on phone number I do not use in my phone and am well aware of what you are saying. It becomes an issue if you loose your phone number to someone else because you discontinued that service. Your contacts will loose the ability to get in touch with you unless you share your newer phone number.

Like I said, most would not have a problem paying a dollar a year, but free is always better. I would like to see you make this statement a few months down the line, when BBM releases all its planned features cross platform.

Do not know what you expect here?

I am not sure why you got so offended by this post. Lol. Like I said, if you are not convinced, do not use the service. THis post is only speaking about a few reasons that could work for you. If they do not make the cut for you, be happy with what you got.
    10-23-13 04:20 PM