I am seeing ppl going gung ho over BBM increasing it's file transfer limit of 6 MB and already they are demanding 50 MB!

IMHO, this is incorrect both logically and BB-way. I assume they are doing under pressure from Whatsapp.

I always love how BB warns you while trying to play video files (Youtube including) about data usage.This will beat the BB funda.

Instead upload the files (of any size) to cloud, give the link to BBM contact, let him have the option to download it or view via web.

For audio and video, stream them or download them.

For documents, that will give the best in class collaboration. As BBM going enterprise way, imagine enterprise people sending files back and forth and nobody knows the version. That will be nightmare.

Instead store documents in corporate secured cloud or BB cloud via NOC and collaborate on the GO! That will beat email at every quarter!!

For us less mortals (non-enterprise BB fans), give some option like Dropbox or Box integration.

Just my thoughts! Waiting to hear others thought.
    Richard Buckley and stlabrat like this.
    02-27-14 10:44 PM
    It is actually that my contacts don't want to go through all that trouble with uploading to the cloud just to send a file.
    For the last few years when they switched to WhatsApp they have grown accustomed to the instant file sharing and wouldn't want to have such a huge workaround just to send a video, when they could do it just fine back on their regular IM's. That is not why they went to BBM.
    It's not a bad idea, I would actually do that, but many of my contacts just are tired of the 6 MB limit.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd and dragon77 like this.
    02-27-14 10:48 PM
    The cloud idea is not bad. Some people like the fact that if you send something via BBM is DOESNT end up in the cloud though also
    02-27-14 10:48 PM
    Dude... no... even the pictures I share are bigger than 6MB so please.... no
    I own a Nikon D7000 and pictures in RAW mode are huge, I can't even share regular pictures... yes I'm greedy I love big photos.
    Also I love high quality MP3 which all exceed 6MB

From my White Z30
    02-27-14 10:51 PM
    It is actually that my contacts don't want to go through all that trouble with uploading to the cloud just to send a file.
    For the last few years when they switched to WhatsApp they have grown accustomed to the instant file sharing and wouldn't want to have such a huge workaround just to send a video, when they could do it just fine back on their regular IM's. That is not why they went to BBM.
    It's not a bad idea, I would actually do that, but many of my contacts just are tired of the 6 MB limit.

Posted via CB10
    Technically this is possible with less hassle. Setup cloud services once during setup. While on chat, send the file like Whatsapp. BB does the remaining things. Uploading the file to cloud, generate the link and forward the link to recipient. Recipient decides to download or stream. Just one step more. Even that can be set in setting once whether you want to ALWAYS download it or stream it.

This will also remove the potential vicious cycle that once they start receiving such huge files, soon they will start complaining that storage is not enough!!
    NephrenKa667 and stlabrat like this.
    02-27-14 11:06 PM
    The cloud idea is not bad. Some people like the fact that if you send something via BBM is DOESNT end up in the cloud though also
    For enterprise, it is a secured cloud. So fear not!
    For consumer, security is no priority.
    For those you have mentioned, how about a self-destructing cloud!
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-27-14 11:11 PM
    Add an API for cloud integration in BBM, and any size or file can easily be shared. BOOM, solved. Dropbox could be added by BlackBerry to get the ball rolling.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 11:12 PM
    BB10 is on data now, makes no sense to put any limit on. I don't and don't want to use cloud services. We are trying to make BBM more popular.
    Thesmartmale and kbz1960 like this.
    02-27-14 11:22 PM
    I own a Nikon D7000 and pictures in RAW mode are huge, I can't even share regular pictures... yes I'm greedy I love big photos.

From my White Z30
    I am not saying to keep the limit. I am saying not to implement device to device file transfer but to implement cloud services.

Just a curious question. How do you transfer from D7000 to Z30. Wi-fi/HDMI/via computer?
    02-27-14 11:23 PM
    BB10 is on data now, makes no sense to put any limit on. I don't and don't want to use cloud services. We are trying to make BBM more popular.
    How about projecting BBM as THE primary mode of communication rather than just IM. I think with current format it will have limitation in growth unless it takes up email functionality, file integration, collaboration to a whole new level rather than competing with other IMs.
    02-28-14 12:17 AM
    They should just add the option to personalize the max transfer limit over data and wifi. so everyone can choose the limit he likes...
    02-28-14 12:40 AM
    Add an API for cloud integration in BBM, and any size or file can easily be shared. BOOM, solved. Dropbox could be added by BlackBerry to get the ball rolling.

Posted via CB10

dropbox is already added
    02-28-14 12:42 AM
    When receiving something don't you have an option to save it? Limit is beyond ridiculous. Can't send any videos, Imessage has no limit. This is over due.
    02-28-14 02:57 AM
    First someone had an objection to the belt saying it was regressive. Now if BlackBerry wants to increase file size limit on BBM they say it's bad. Can't we just be satisfied... BBM is for instant communications and not to go to a cloud and download some file. It should be available on tap immediately on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale and kbz1960 like this.
    02-28-14 03:08 AM
    OP, you are not thinking about transfer speed of most cloud services. I don't use DropBox because of it's limit (never had more than 120 kbps). With 3G network i have about 1Mbps (Megabyte, not Megabit). Same with Box. So direct file transfer is a very, very nice thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, if you have set up sync to cloud on your device AND on you PC, then you don't need to upload anything from your phone, just share the link, but that is not always the case right?
    02-28-14 05:16 AM
    First someone had an objection to the belt saying it was regressive. Now if BlackBerry wants to increase file size limit on BBM they say it's bad. Can't we just be satisfied... BBM is for instant communications and not to go to a cloud and download some file. It should be available on tap immediately on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    I am not against limit increase. Just giving an alternate method for collaboration. Especially in an enterprise setup.

In my office setup, using an email, my 25% of time goes in to locating the right file which went through various revision. If I use a cloud service (of Intranet or Internet), I miss the communication between members.

Just think, BBM taking away both hassles of using email and cloud services and providing a unified flow of both communication and collaboration.

Right know to my best of knowledge, NOBODY does this.
    02-28-14 09:26 AM
    OP, you are not thinking about transfer speed of most cloud services. I don't use DropBox because of it's limit (never had more than 120 kbps). With 3G network i have about 1Mbps (Megabyte, not Megabit). Same with Box. So direct file transfer is a very, very nice thing.
    I am not an expert in this, but I assume this scenario happens now. Whenever a file is sent from one device, that must be loaded temporarily somewhere in a server and sent to recipient device. That could be ISP or NOC as still I believe BBM messages are still going through NOC. If this is the case, then just extend the life of the temp storage as a cloud service. Again this is my just thought!

Now, don't get me wrong, if you have set up sync to cloud on your device AND on you PC, then you don't need to upload anything from your phone, just share the link, but that is not always the case right?
    If On the Go I create a file (or edit a file), I have to upload to cloud and send an email to collaborators. What if I do both these activities from inside BBM? Best suited if collaborators are having a conversation about the file. It will eliminate back and forth emails or phone calls.
    02-28-14 09:45 AM

From my White Z30
    Sharing RAW photos is one thing, but - you don't use them on a phone anyway - they need to end up on a computer... so sending files via social network is never a good idea when the goal is to move large amounts of data. Many e-mail systems still can't handle more than 10MB max... even worse if the emails traverse several systems before reaching destination.

Cloud services are the only reliable functional way to do this, so perhaps a tighter integration between user selectable services like Box, Dropbox, Mega etc, - BBM can upload to that and return a share-able link, which can be used either directly in the chat, or with easy to tap button to send the link as email to someone, even yourself.

It would be an easy solution that anyone could use, it would make it easy for everyone to receive - and easy to retrieve the files from either a mobile device, or any computer.

Picture sizes will continue to grow as more pixels are store pr picture, but a direct device-to-device instant thing would in most cases not be a good thing,... larger files also needs to be handled with a better control system like pause/resume for both upload and download, otherwise there will be a lot of corrupted data going around. Perhaps the phones capabilities are robust enough, but the carrier networks are far from stable - and sudden drop outs WILL occur from time to time...and speed will go up and down...
    02-28-14 10:22 AM
    02-28-14 11:16 AM
    I am not against limit increase. Just giving an alternate method for collaboration. Especially in an enterprise setup.

In my office setup, using an email, my 25% of time goes in to locating the right file which went through various revision. If I use a cloud service (of Intranet or Internet), I miss the communication between members.

Just think, BBM taking away both hassles of using email and cloud services and providing a unified flow of both communication and collaboration.

Right know to my best of knowledge, NOBODY does this.

OP... you are right... no one does this. Maybe BlackBerry might come up with it, but if the 6MB file limit is to remain then no one will be able to upload larger files. I think BBM should allow for that.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 04:01 PM
    I take out the SD card and plug it in the pc reader and take it from there

From my White Z30
    02-28-14 04:09 PM