1. Data Hog.
    Since msgs are sent from bbry servers, BBM for android is always running, chugging data
    2. Battery Hog.
    See #1
    3. Lack of features at launch. (android)
    It lags painfully behind in terms of features. No video chat, file sending within the app is limited in size and type, even the native txt msg app does more for what I need.
    4. No one I know uses it.
    If I want to chat with complete strangers, I can hop on Internet forums or simply txt random phone numbers.
    5. Security
    Since I don't work for the cia or msg my account numbers, I don't worry about pics of my kids or a grocery list falling into the wrong hands. Even though I've never heard about something like this happening, every high ranking ceo and secret agent CB forum member seems to think it's the best feature since the click screen on the bbry storm.

Basically, I found bbm exactly as I left it 5 years ago when I owned a bbry, useless.

Sent using CB Forums mobile app
    10-26-13 07:59 AM
    The biggest one here is number 4. If all your friends used it I doubt you'd have deleted, regardless of the other perceived drawbacks.

If 4 changes, you'll probably download it again.

Posted via CB10
    nico2004 and viper-85 like this.
    10-26-13 08:05 AM
    Oh well, the apps not for you.

Can't say I've found the app data hungry and the point is to have it running. It's a messaging app
    10-26-13 08:08 AM
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the app is using that much data. Yes is running in the background but because the messages are pushed to you're pin not pulled by the phone I think the communication between servers and you're phone is minimal so not that much data used.

Join my BBM Channel C000E96F6
    10-26-13 08:14 AM
    1. Data Hog.
    Since msgs are sent from bbry servers, BBM for android is always running, chugging data
    Pls. explaing how the BB servers changes anything in regards to the dataflow or should cause the BBM app to use more data than bare minimum.

I don't have an Android device to install/test, but iOS devices uses APNS and I certainly would expect the Android version to use GCM, meaning the device will receive a notification from GCM.
    10-26-13 08:15 AM
    Pls. explaing how the BB servers changes anything in regards to the dataflow or should cause the BBM app to use more data than bare minimum.

I don't have an Android device to install/test, but iOS devices uses APNS and I certainly would expect the Android version to use GCM, meaning the device will receive a notification from GCM.
    Most of this guys guesstimate instead of getting the facts first, that is a common ground around here.

BlackBerry Z10, powerful tool indeed.
    10-26-13 08:19 AM
    I don't remember the exact usage sorry but when it was installed it hovered at the top of the list of apps for data usage. Battery usage was up there too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-26-13 08:50 AM
    I will check my wife's s4 to see the usage , yes there are limitations between the versions. But we knew there wasn't going to be video chat.

Most common response from my iPhone friends is they don't like the UI and have a few bugs. Android folks mostly love the app.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 08:57 AM
    Not to mention 3. As it stands right now, for android anyway, BBM is a glorified txt msg app. After all that time and hype you think they could release a complete product. But that's black "just wait it's coming" berry for ya.

10-26-13 08:59 AM
    My BBM list went from 10 to 86 in last 2 days. All my coworkers, agent managers, club managers and djs in the city hopped on BBM. No need for text messaging and what's app anymore! ::bbm dance smiley face::
    10-26-13 09:01 AM
    @philly I understand what you are saying, but in my circle of friends we use groups a lot and bbm does those well. We can have a calendar, pictures are separate and not within a chat Window and it is quick.

Also I checked my wife's phone and so far she has 1.25 mb of data usage from bbm and using 20 mb of resources. Haven't noticed a change in her battery.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 09:21 AM
    Always that one person
    Difficult, Never pleased.

Posted via CB10
    gschep and mkelley65 like this.
    10-26-13 09:36 AM
    OP is right.....It is a good battery drain on ios. did a test with deleting it and re-installing. You can notice battery drain. That is something that needs work on the next update.
    phillyphreak likes this.
    10-26-13 09:38 AM
    You didnt like it, you didnt use it. Its as simple as that. Let the IM market ultimately be the judge of BBM's fate.
    phillyphreak likes this.
    10-26-13 09:56 AM
    The Android version unfortunately does NOT use GCM, it simply runs in the background. Hopefully that'll change soon.
    phillyphreak likes this.
    10-26-13 10:01 AM
    OP is right.....It is a good battery drain on ios. did a test with deleting it and re-installing. You can notice battery drain. That is something that needs work on the next update.
    Keep in mind that most apps use more data just after being installed as they make their connections and set up. After a few hours it should settle and not really use that much data. This is what most apps do and not just BBM.
    10-26-13 10:21 AM
    As I stated in the op, I don't use it (deleted) I also know that this is (supposed to be) the place to discuss all things bbry. Thanks.

10-26-13 02:18 PM