I think all of us can agree that if BBM could provide everything upon launch when they cross platform, that would bode well for BlackBerry. However, with BB10 still in its infancy, replicating that same BBM experience cross platform is a big challenge and feat in itself. We are talking about real-time services that will be demanding on the infrastructure. They don't have the same deep pockets that they used to, they may not have the best personnel due to losing them to competition, and their reputation is on thin ice. I'm one for a practical approach rather than go big or go home in this likely scenario they are in.

If BBM video and voice are offered from the get go (based on reasons/assumptions above), I'm not sure if BlackBerry can manage the scalability should the uptake be exponential. I'm hoping that they can manage but you never know and with the bad news that ensues with any type of BB service outage, I would not take that risk. The potential news from this would be: "BlackBerry launches BBM cross platform and crashes". If this ever happened, would it matter if there was Video or Voice available? The common sentiment would be (if not already) - "oh it's BlackBerry". The reputation would take another further hit and even the basic BBM offering won't matter to people and/or prosumers. (I recognize there is one side of the argument that this isn't enough).

A managed approach is to make sure the early adoption provides a stable experience on the basic BBM functions and that the experience is one that excels in IM chat. This will give the metrics on how much initial demand is and then you provision for the BB Video and Voice (and other value add features) in a future update and make trend projections on scaling up the infrastructure with the money available.

Luckily for BlackBerry, the competition hasn't provided much of a competitive advantage with their IM chat clients just yet. The only chat clients that I see as most used cross platform are: Whatsapp, Yahoo messenger, MS messenger (that will be wrapped into Skype if I remember correctly), and maybe Gchat (now being moved into Google Hangouts?). They can't sit for long but if they can speed up the testing and release of the BBM video and voice, all the better.

It's a race against time it seems but it really shouldn't be because we want a good product and service offering (rather than a rush job) that will raise competition. That's why I'm kind of against the overly negative view of BlackBerry being dead, it's over, etc. being echoed all over Crackberry. They do have some things they do good and we only wish the competition could do the same. Right now, I have attempted Gchat/Hangout/Skype/Whatsapp as a potential cross platform IM chat/video app and to this day my experience with BBM has been more reliable and superior. Hopefully that will speak for itself and it will depend on the willingness of users to adopt.

In my opinion, I think it's more important for them to make sure the full BBM for corporate clients work in a MDM/BYOD world with BES10. If they can make it possible to make BBM Video/Voice a replacement for secure teleconference and video conferencing with good latency, while connecting via HDMI to a projector of TV ... they have major value add and cost savings for an enterprise. Screenshare can only increase the efficiency and productivity of its employees.

If only to raise the level and quality of competition offerings, I support BlackBerry in doing what they need to do to ensure their own survival (and going all-in is a risky proposition right now.) For those that think the all-in approach is the only way - well I hope they still have an open mind to at least try the app out as well as their contacts that they will need to contact with.

If you are correct that it is too late, then we won't get to ever see a full cross platform app to enjoy the experience what BBM on BB10 users have now. That would be a shame to all consumers.

You make some good points, but can we agree it would be very good for Blackberry if BBM is a huge immediate success? I really can't see that happening with only IM. Like you said, first impression is important, and when people think of BBM they will just think of IM, and not be compelled to use. Even if BB adds voice/video later, I think it might be too late, as the initial impression is there. This is my opinion for BBM to be successful: A product that contains IM, voice, video, photo sharing, and remote control, that can be used cross platform. If BBM would contain all these at launch, I think it can be very successful. We can list all of the reasons why they cannot do this, but consumers will not care about their excuses. Who knows, maybe I will be wrong and BBM will be a hit.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 06:36 PM
    I agree 100%. I am Android user and was going to try out BBM until I heard it will only offer IM initially. After hearing that I don't see the point. I think at least 99.0% of Android and IOS users will feel the same and BBM will flop big time. How is it that BlackBerry, one of the pioneers of phone messaging, in 2013 cannot release a version off BBM that does video? If I am wrong about this someone please let me know, because I would like to try BBM.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using CB Forums mobile app
    IM is the gauge interest and then they will add the required servers for video

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 12:25 PM
    IM is the gauge interest and then they will add the required servers for video

Posted via CB10
    I see your point but I guess it's like a catch 22. The less features then probably less interest. More features means greater interest but more risk from potential technological problems and more $$ invested. So I guess what I am saying is with only IM, I think interest will be too low. Again, just my opinion.
    08-20-13 12:30 AM
    Hi MobileZen, thank you for the analysis. Positioning BBM in the enterprise as the go to application for video/teleconferencing would be really big for Blackberry. Problem is if limited to BES users, too small a market. I would even take that a step further and add screen sharing/remote control and try to eat into Webex's market share. Again I keep going back to my premise that Blackberry has limited time. For example, I think Microsoft is poised to own the enterprise market with Skype. They will be integrating Skpe into Windows version 8.1 and I will be more integrated into Outlook and Office 365:
    "Microsoft is working on adding new functionality to Skype during its fiscal 2014 (which runs through June 30, 2014), including support for large meetings; support for enterprise voice (probably in conjunction with Lync integration, I'd think); and deeper integration with Outlook.com and Office 365." Microsoft confirms Skype will be bundled with Windows 8.1 | ZDNet
    08-20-13 12:59 AM
    You make some good points, but can we agree it would be very good for Blackberry if BBM is a huge immediate success? I really can't see that happening with only IM. Like you said, first impression is important, and when people think of BBM they will just think of IM, and not be compelled to use. Even if BB adds voice/video later, I think it might be too late, as the initial impression is there. This is my opinion for BBM to be successful: A product that contains IM, voice, video, photo sharing, and remote control, that can be used cross platform. If BBM would contain all these at launch, I think it can be very successful. We can list all of the reasons why they cannot do this, but consumers will not care about their excuses. Who knows, maybe I will be wrong and BBM will be a hit.
    Yes he made some good points. The problem is you did not take it all in. It?s better to go one step at a time and make sure each step is right. If you can't wait get your self a BB10 phone with the all the features already up and running. For all we know BlackBerry may just deliver everything you want at launch and will still be ridiculed for it. Damed if they do...

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 06:04 AM
    I feel if BBM is successful, it certainly save BlackBerry. Look at whatsapp, viper, etc, they are just IM companies and they are doing well. We will see as time goes. great valid points by everyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 07:25 AM
    9 days and counting........ My view on "this summer " reference. Then a push to 60MM users to invite a friend from contact list wherever it is housed on their device (regular email, whatapp list, ....).
    08-21-13 06:33 AM
    BBM is already on closed beta for iOS and Android. So I don't think it will be delayed .

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 07:18 AM
    You need a bb id . Mass populace will not be excited about that. Too much required to sign up just for a chat program. Remember we love it. We have to convince the whatsapp users who are happy and can add contacts just by a phone number. This will have a small niche.
    08-22-13 09:53 PM
    Absolutely it will be delayed. Why else wouldn't they provide a concrete release date. BlackBerry has lost all their top talent - why do u think it takes them so long to do minor things like pushing out a bbm app cross platform that should of been done 3 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:53 PM
    I don't think it will be delayed. They're probably giving the date only a week before official launch. Maybe this week is the one.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 08:14 PM
    One month away from end of summer.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 06:43 PM
    You need a bb id . Mass populace will not be excited about that. Too much required to sign up just for a chat program. Remember we love it. We have to convince the whatsapp users who are happy and can add contacts just by a phone number. This will have a small niche.
    If they manage to explain the advantages of the bbid, I think they're good. The lack of privacy is one of the reasons i deleted WhatsApp. The mire privacy idea and the unique login in any device with your contacts, groups and channels saved can be good for BBM future. Again, it depends on how they will promote it.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 08:10 PM
    The keeping BBM private to only bbid is awesome. The exclusivity of BBM was great when BlackBerry was at the top.

I feel BlackBerry needs to go back to that.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 10:37 PM
    Looks like the predictions were true and in a worse way as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 03:54 PM
40 12