I can't figure it out. I am a long time user of BlackBerry devices and have never, ever needed or desired BBM. There are many quick, easy ways to communicate and I can't figure out where BBM fits in. I've always wondered why people want it but never asked. So now I'm asking............Why would anyone want BBM? What makes BBM unique? Is it just some kind of Facebook for BlackBerry or is there more to it than that?
    10-26-13 10:41 AM
    Other than the fact that it is the best messaging platform around, it is also said to be the most secure. People cannot arbitrarily add you; it does not automatically map everyone from your address book with BBM; you can send PIN to PIN messages which are more secure. I am sure others will pipe in as to the merits of BBM.

However, it is not really important if you are able to figure out the attraction to the app. Just accept that it is what it is and move on.
    nico2004 and ghundiraj like this.
    10-26-13 11:24 AM
    Other than the fact that it is the best messaging platform around, it is also said to be the most secure. People cannot arbitrarily add you; it does not automatically map everyone from your address book with BBM; you can send PIN to PIN messages which are more secure. I am sure others will pipe in as to the merits of BBM.

However, it is not really important if you are able to figure out the attraction to the app. Just accept that it is what it is and move on.
    That's kind of what I thought. People parrot that "it's the best messaging platform around" but never give reasons for this and they find the fact that you can't be arbitrarily added to it a positive for some unknown reason. How is texting "I'll be there in a few minutes" a sentence that requires such high security? Unless you are CIA or have super sensitive info to pass along, what's the point of PIN to PIN or such high "perceived security"?

I knew that someone that has no answers to a question was going to tell me to "just accept it for what it is and move on" but I didn't think it would happen with the first response.
    10-26-13 01:43 PM
    1) No compression of photos or video files
    2) provide status, location and availability. Set your status to do not disturb to let your contacts know you will not respond
    3) tied to a pin /BBID so you can control spam, or block users. Control who you allow to be your contact
    4) changing phone numbers doesn't mean you now have to get all you contacts to change your info because it is tied to a bbid that follows you no matter where you go. Change devices and pins and it simply pushes forward to your contacts. All contacts are restored automatically to your new device when you sign in with your existing bbid
    5) Know when your contact has received and read the message. Also know when your contact is typing back to you so you can wait for the reply before you type something again
    6) ping
    7) not effected by roaming so no additional charges apply if you are out of area.
    8) if on wifi it uses no data at all
    9) profile can have unique photo
    10) fast...really fast. also very reliable
    11) secure
    12) if you are BlackBerry to BlackBerry then you have voice and video calling. This will also happen cross platform in the very near future
    13) no character limit....type as long a message as you want
    14) groups
    15) channels
    16) scan in new contacts via bar code (no typing in a number)
    17) follow your contacts updates
    18) sort contacts via different available filters
    19) mush easier to send a broadcast message. And your contacts will know the message they got was a broadcast
    20 ) BBM just sounds cooler than SMS or whatsapp. What do you say to people for whatsapp. "Hey buddy, whatsapp me"? Just doesn't have the same ring to it

If I missed something, feel free to add to my list

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    ghundiraj, saxxman and Danny Ocean like this.
    10-26-13 02:25 PM
    It needs voice sharing like whatsapp..hopefully it'll come soon
    10-26-13 02:28 PM
    I use it with my wife. I just prefer it to texting. I like the D And the R. So does she.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-26-13 02:37 PM
    1) No compression of photos or video files
    2) provide status, location and availability. Set your status to do not disturb to let your contacts know you will not respond
    3) tied to a pin /BBID so you can control spam, or block users. Control who you allow to be your contact
    4) changing phone numbers doesn't mean you now have to get all you contacts to change your info because it is tied to a bbid that follows you no matter where you go. Change devices and pins and it simply pushes forward to your contacts. All contacts are restored automatically to your new device when you sign in with your existing bbid
    5) Know when your contact has received and read the message. Also know when your contact is typing back to you so you can wait for the reply before you type something again
    6) ping
    7) not effected by roaming so no additional charges apply if you are out of area.
    8) if on wifi it uses no data at all
    9) profile can have unique photo
    10) fast...really fast. also very reliable
    11) secure
    12) if you are BlackBerry to BlackBerry then you have voice and video calling. This will also happen cross platform in the very near future
    13) no character limit....type as long a message as you want
    14) groups
    15) channels
    16) scan in new contacts via bar code (no typing in a number)
    17) follow your contacts updates
    18) sort contacts via different available filters
    19) mush easier to send a broadcast message. And your contacts will know the message they got was a broadcast
    20 ) BBM just sounds cooler than SMS or whatsapp. What do you say to people for whatsapp. "Hey buddy, whatsapp me"? Just doesn't have the same ring to it

If I missed something, feel free to add to my list

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    Yeah...this.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 02:44 PM
    Why is Instagram, facebook, Twitter, snapchat popular? Hey, consumer interest is a lot about perception versus reality. Not saying BBM is not the best but why do some things catch on and others not? Why is Apple or iPhone the de facto standard in North America for phones? It's what people think versus anything else. A hard thing to understand but BBM4ALL has got some legs and it's up to BlackBerry to keep it going!!.

Posted via CB10
    saxxman likes this.
    10-26-13 04:15 PM
    Thanks to ibpluto for the awesome write-up!!!

CB rocks!

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto likes this.
    10-26-13 05:43 PM
    It needs voice sharing like whatsapp..hopefully it'll come soon
    On actual blackberry devices, you get voice and video. Apparently iDroid will get this soon too

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    10-26-13 05:49 PM
    Yeah...this.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that! And... texting sucks

10-26-13 05:50 PM
    I can't figure it out. I am a long time user of BlackBerry devices and have never, ever needed or desired BBM. There are many quick, easy ways to communicate and I can't figure out where BBM fits in. I've always wondered why people want it but never asked. So now I'm asking............Why would anyone want BBM? What makes BBM unique? Is it just some kind of Facebook for BlackBerry or is there more to it than that?
    Do you text (sms) frequently?

10-26-13 05:51 PM
    ‘Incredible demand’ for BlackBerry’s BBM service - The Globe and Mail
    Hilights from above article:

KEY FEATURES:
    Ability to chat and share photos, voice notes and other files with other smartphone users.
    Ability to host multiperson chats for up to 30 people.
    Ability to post personal messages, profile pictures and current status.
    IDENTITY PROTECTION:
    Users are assigned a personal identification number made up of a random collection of numbers and letters, rather than a phone number or an e-mail address.

1. Encryption key is stored in the user’s secure mailbox account.
    2. Blackberry messages don’t have to be short, but short message service text messages (SMS), in the Latin alphabet, max out at 160 characters. For other alphabets, such as Chinese, the maximum SMS length is 70 characters.
    3. Data sent to and from the smartphone is encrypted using the private key retrieved from the user’s mailbox.
    4. Data remains encrypted in transit and is never decrypted outside of the firewall.
    5. Instant messages can only be sent to someone if you know his or her PIN code.
    6. Encrypted information travels securely to the smartphone where it is decrypted with the key stored there.

BBM is low-cost:
    Since BlackBerry messages are sent as data, users do not incur individual charges for each message as they would through regular SMS texting. While phone companies have introduced bulk texting plans, many options still include caps on the number of individual SMS messages that can be sent. BBM has no such limit.
    BBM is faster,
    Messages are “real time.” Users can carry on multiple, simultaneous conversations with other users and participate in group chats — all features unvailable through traditional SMS technology.
    10-26-13 05:58 PM
    Ibpluto such a excellent response and thank you for it. I am going to use it on my wife and friends.

I use to love my Blackberry.

Sent from the Note 2
    southlander and ibpluto like this.
    10-26-13 09:01 PM
    I'm considered to be hyperconnected by most people's standards. I've never been invited to BBM with anyone, and I don't know anyone using it (or they are not telling me) .

I've had a z10 for nine months and never been invited to BBM. I've seen two people with BlackBerry z10 and we've talked about doing BBM but never got around to it.

I wish I caught the bug. But no one is infecting me with it.
    10-26-13 09:56 PM
    Thank you ibpluto. That is what I was looking for. I can understand why some may think it's the best. I personally still don't see a need for it but at least now I have an idea as to why people want it so much. I find that I'm just fine with your average, everyday texting, email and phone calls. I have no need for anything more than basic communicating without any extras.
    10-27-13 10:57 AM
    Thank you ibpluto. That is what I was looking for. I can understand why some may think it's the best. I personally still don't see a need for it but at least now I have an idea as to why people want it so much. I find that I'm just fine with your average, everyday texting, email and phone calls. I have no need for anything more than basic communicating without any extras.
    It's free to try....give it a go, maybe time will change your mind

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    10-27-13 11:15 AM
    Just think of your parents 20 years ago saying what is the point of email when you can pick up the phone and call someone. Instant Messaging is the new email.
    10-30-13 10:22 PM
    I like to use BBM because it's a fun way to communicate with friends etc.

I enjoy knowing the status of my messages with the D & R. On rare occasions I've had texts fail to go through and wasn't aware. Never had that situation with BBM.

I like the instantaneous communication. I agree that it's the closest thing to real time convo.

I love being able to notice when someone is writing me back. I hate getting caught up sending multiple messages while the other person is sending me a reply. Knowing that someone is writing back prevent this from happening as often.

Lastly, I just like hearing that classic BBM notification. I went back and downloaded the "BlackBerry notifier 6" alert(title may be off).

Overall, BBM is truly a joy to use.

Posted with my Q10
    10-31-13 02:54 AM
    I think BBM is amazing. Sadly, being in the UK, up until the IOS/Android release, I had 2 BBM contacts from a phone book of 400+. Since the cross platform roll-out, that no. has risen to over 40, but I've never met any of them, and they're almost exclusively via CB. I have invited maybe 60 or 70 of my contacts to BBM, which, so far, 1 has accepted. They are more than happy to EM, SMS, WhatsApp, etc... maybe when Video calling goes across the board, that may tempt others, but I find Skype pretty decent for the odd VCall.

Not dissing BBM at all, just a personal account. BBM is, and will continue to be a vital way of communication in countries where contracts and inclusive bundles are less common, and it's good to see the BlackBerry name back in the ether with a positive vibe .

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 03:18 AM
    Just think of your parents 20 years ago saying what is the point of email when you can pick up the phone and call someone. Instant Messaging is the new email.
    It wasn't just my parents. Just about everyone asked that in 1993 and to a certain degree, I still agree with that. But that isn't the topic. BBM is. IM is not the new email. Email and IM are totally different and both serve different purposes. I have no problem with anyone using instant messaging. I just don't see a need for it in my world. The last thing I ever want to be is one of those people that are totally unaware of their surroundings because they are totally engrossed with their phone. I don't need yet another way to communicate. Talking, texting and email work just fine in my world. I was asking what makes BBM so special and different from other IM. I did get some good answers.
    10-31-13 10:05 AM