I guess there is some risk in it but I am optimistic that cross-platform BBM will raise BB's profile and give some momentum to its marketing efforts. Right now Blackberry has almost no brand profile in many parts or demographics in the U.S. - perhaps a lot of former BBM users, or friends of current BBM users, will get the hint that Blackberry is still in the game and has something awesome to offer. I have to say that for my part - both for practical reasons and as a BB supporter - I'll be encouraging virtually everyone I text with to do so via BBM. Looking forward to a broader BBM world.

What do you think?
    09-02-13 09:45 PM
    I guess there is some risk in it but I am optimistic that cross-platform BBM will raise BB's profile and give some momentum to its marketing efforts. Right now Blackberry has almost no brand profile in many parts or demographics in the U.S. - perhaps a lot of former BBM users, or friends of current BBM users, will get the hint that Blackberry is still in the game and has something awesome to offer. I have to say that for my part - both for practical reasons and as a BB supporter - I'll be encouraging virtually everyone I text with to do so via BBM. Looking forward to a broader BBM world.

What do you think?
    You may be right. I think, though, that BBM will be spun off as a separate business and Blackberry won't be making phones in 2014. Software will be their new niche. How they monetise BBM though, I have no idea.
    09-02-13 09:49 PM
    My take is absolutely nothing. They're simple too late. At the beginning of summer, I believe people were very interested. I think as time wore on, and Whatsapp improved, BBM became increasingly forgotten. My iOS and Android friends were all excited about BBM in May and early June. Now they claim they won't even bother downloading it.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 09:35 PM
    I think cross platform BBM will go main stream. As much as people don't like BlackBerry anymore, they still give high regards to BlackBerry Traffic and BBM.

I see BBM taking off. And hopefully people will like the functionality of the new OS that they will look into the new devices. Which should come about the same time as the Z30 comes to market.

But that's just my theory and 2 cents!

Subscribe to my catering & party idea channel: C00124338
    09-04-13 06:08 AM
    If BlackBerry Messenger pans out on Android and iOS, BlackBerry will likely sell the service.

If BlackBerry is not sold, I think it will eventually focus on BES, and sell or fold everything else.

Posted from my Zed 10
    09-10-13 07:07 AM
    BBM non-cross-platform isn't doing anything for Blackberry, so they are taking a bold move by making it cross-platform, if the number of users are large, they will aim to monetize their base.

* Google bought Youtube, didn't do anything with it for years, then monetized it with ads.

* Facebook exploded with growth, monitization came after.

* Twitter grew and became mainstream, was ad free for many years, still not fully monetized but they have promoted tweets to bring in revenue.

* BBM will need time to prove it self in the market, so don't expect anything, it is not the saviour of Blackberry, it's more like a last attempt to salvage what it has left.
    09-10-13 07:17 AM
    If BlackBerry Messenger pans out on Android and iOS, BlackBerry will likely sell the service.

If BlackBerry is not sold, I think it will eventually focus on BES, and sell or fold everything else.

Posted from my Zed 10
    Who will buy the service when there are similar ones for free?
    09-10-13 07:29 AM
    Sorry, I meant BlackBerry would create a separate company to run BBM and sell the newly created company.

If you can get a modest 150 million active users, than could be very conservatively sold at US$3 billion.

Like Mr_Zed10 said. It is not about saving BlackBerry phones, but about giving stockholders a better return on their investment.

Posted from my Zed 10
    09-10-13 11:48 AM
    I just don't understand how Blackberry will monetize cross-platform BBM. An informal poll amongst my friends and colleagues showed that most people will try BBM if asked to by an acquaintance, but no one will change their opinion about leaving their current platform over a free app. Especially, since there are several other apps that basically do the same thing and who knows how those will be enhnaced over the next year to compete with BBM. I would love to know everyone's thoughts on this because I just don't see how this will save Blackberry.
    09-10-13 12:56 PM
    They could have taken over.. but het again BBRY is too late.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 01:13 PM
    At least made it cross platform just to realised others that BlackBerry still alive!
    09-10-13 01:16 PM
    Microsoft paid US8 billion (or was it 10 billion) for Skype. Facebook paid US$1 billion for Instagram. BlackBerry hopes to make some money selling BBM.

It really is that simple.

Posted from my Zed 10
    09-10-13 02:04 PM