Get the New BBM for Privacy, Control and Much, Much More | Inside BlackBerry

With these new features, now is the time to get your friends on BBM to start enjoying the unmatched level of privacy and control. Timed Messages and Message Retraction features are premium features that will be available free and without restriction over the next three months. After this time, unrestricted access to these features will become part of a broader bundle of features that will be offered as part of a BBM subscription.

Sucks to me.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:35 AM
    All the features, is my guess.

BlackBerry - Accept is no substitute. Period!
    10-31-14 07:41 AM
    I just wonder what else they will try to bundle with this as a BBM subscription? What doesn't make sense to me is, will it will be valuable if only a few of your friends subscribe? Can the subscriber STILL use the services with his friends who are Not subscribed? So many questions.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:42 AM
    I'm not really sure if that would fly..
    If they want to make subscriptions make them payable over carrier billing... cause I believe most bbm users don't even have credit cards yet

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    Minhaaj Rehman likes this.
    10-31-14 07:44 AM
    Why subscribe? Y not one time payment?

I don't even like the idea of charging for timed messages, I see whatsapp may adopt these features and make it free. My guess for the future.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:45 AM
    I think it's best they arrange a payment system with the network provider, a lot of us can't make payment via BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:47 AM
    Why subscribe? Y not one time payment?

I don't even like the idea of charging for timed messages, I see whatsapp may adopt these features and make it free. My guess for the future.

Posted via CB10
    A timed message is NOT worthy of my money. BUT in the future, with use and other features that are released, i NIGHT change my mind.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:11 AM
    That's stupid

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:20 AM
    Wtf one more reason for people to not jump to BBM. Damn, my contacts slowly left back to whastapp, now I'm left with a few.. guess they'll be gone now once they see this; This, and the fact that there's no video calling in the horizon.
    10-31-14 08:25 AM
    Not gonna happen
    10-31-14 08:28 AM
    Anyone think us BlackBerry users are going to get these features for free? yeah, I know. Not going to happen...

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:37 AM
    One time payment - wouldn't think twice. I'll never pay a subscription fee for these monthly.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:39 AM
    This idea will fail surely. None will pay for a feature that is available in other apps for free. BBM Sucks again

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.938
    10-31-14 08:45 AM
    Someone needs to contact BlackBerry and figure out what "Unrestricted access" means:
    A) three months of free use, then paying for access.
    OR
    B) free limited usage (x times per month, x data limit) and paid for unlimited access.

Of those B would be a great option, A in my opinion will make it almost impossible to get friends to switch to BBM.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-31-14 08:45 AM
    Line messenger has this timed massage already. If those features are in paid version then people are already using line free.

Abdul z30
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-31-14 08:53 AM
    "these features will become part of a broader bundle of features"

You guys are missing the key sentence here.

These timed message and retract features are worthless on their own (and offered for free by others), however they will only be a part of a bundle of features (probably BBM Meetings, ability to host meetings accessible through a Web browser, and cross platform video will be included). Something similar to Webex,.. which is not free.

As with many other services, you will pay for a bundle that includes things you really want and others that you couldn't care for.

They key is to wait and see what they add to this "bundle of features".

I know I wouldn't pay for timed messages (very dumb feature) and retraction (which can be circumvented with a simple screen capture and a keen recipient).

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:09 AM
    I hope they don't charge BB10 users!! I'm guessing they will but damn.
    satchit likes this.
    10-31-14 09:32 AM
    Cool, I don't see a problem with that. Someone that really need timed message will pay for it.

And if it's part of a bundle... even better

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-31-14 09:39 AM
    I don't know how I feel about this. People are cheap and not only that but BBM really doesn't have a significant amount of users in certain parts of the world in the first place that are going to justify paying for features that are available on other messengers for free. I fear they will try to charge to cross platform video chat and this will be a huge let down. Especially considering how long people have been waiting for this one feature

I'm gonna try to have faith that this BBM team knows what they're doing though. Hope they don't try to monetize every good feature of BBM

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:42 AM
    Telegram calls it secret chat.

With due diligence from my Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.938
    10-31-14 09:51 AM
    Line messenger has this timed massage already. If those features are in paid version then people are already using line free.

Abdul z30
    More of a reason to have a native Line app for BB10 lol
    And can I have that "timed massage"?
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-31-14 09:52 AM
    I guess they are trying to change the revenue source they are losing from BIS, but I think these features should be free for BB10 devices. Anyway, if in these 3 months I see my self giving these features a good use and the price of subscription is reasonable maybe I will subscribe. Hope it happens as with Whatsapp, it always said when I used it that there was left sometime for the free subscription after that it will be 99 cents a year but always when the day came it renewed automatically for a year without any payment.

IDEA: Make like a coin reward program for BBM channel owners where you get some coins for each post you make with a limit of posts a month worth the reward, if the post reach a minimum or reads or likes you earn more coins, if your channel have a subscription base of some size you get extra coins, etc., this way you pay for the features with coins and give an incentive to make BBM channels more engaging.
    edyts likes this.
    10-31-14 10:03 AM
    subscription fee for BBM? Blackberry is lucky i cant delete BBM from my z10. lol
    10-31-14 10:11 AM
    ya NO. that would be to hefty a **** off (pardon my french), monetization on BBM channels for advertisers to get top views in search is okay, uh but asking the consumer to pony up, then they must bring back compression and SAVE us money on our data charges or it won't REALLY be worth it
    10-31-14 10:17 AM
    Downloading the update now!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:17 AM
156 123 ...