BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): Don't do what I did below. Just reinstall BBM using one of these options:
    Blackberry Beta Zone's BBM Channels (BBOS + BB10)
    PSA: You may have trouble messaging friends on Android and iOS if you have BBM Channels beta installed

I recently moved to a Q10 after having my Z10 for a few months. The switch wasn't easy and I was partly to blame for that. There were many things that I could have done differently (Maybe use the "switch device" option in Link) but my actions took me down a frustrating road for a few days.

I live in Germany and I'm on Vodafone D2. The Q10's being sold here are the SQN100-3, but I purchased a SQN100-5 from a crackberry member. I backed up my German Z10 thinking I could do a restore to the SQN100-5, but I received an error in Link indicating that the restore couldn't happen because the operating systems were different (The SQN100-5 was on a early 10.1 release). So I just started from scratch on the Q10 and started linking my accounts (I really love how calendar and contacts sync now on BB10 OS). My problems started during the BBM setup.

BBM asked to restore via email and I was constantly stuck on the "Transferring you BBM information" screen which would always lead to the "Temporary Server Error." Eventually I did a restore to factory settings in Link and a Security wipe in the handset but the same would always happen. I would always get the same errors. Then I thought maybe I could do the restore from my Z10 if I got the operating systems on the same version, so I used faenil, xSacha and roy20021's How To post located here: HOW-TO: Update ALL BB10 devices to the latest official OS version (now 10.1) to update my Q10. This didn't solve the problem either. Link still didn't allow me to do a restore and I still got the same errors during the BBM setup. Then I realized I still had the Z10 listed as one of my devices in Link. I figured its PIN was still tied to my BlackBerry ID and I was sure this was the cause. I removed the Z10 and hoped that the errors would magically go away after a few power cycles. I was wrong and heartbroken. I didn't want to return my new Q10. That's when I recalled reading the two links I mentioned at the top of this post. I wish I would have thought of this sooner. I installed the BBM Channels beta and BBM hummed to life. Man was I excited!

I hope this post spares someone the frustration that I went through. There are some posts on here of people having similar problems. Some people returned their handsets and I think someone even left BlackBerry thinking their phones were POS. These things happen and it's not BlackBerry's fault. Sometimes you just have to be smarted than the phone!
    09-30-13 03:24 AM
    Glad you were able to get your phone back up and running with BBM.
    The same thing happened to me. In a much simpler way. Upgraded an OS and BBM would not work till I loaded Channels.
    Glad you are back and thanks for the steps.
    09-30-13 06:58 AM
    Thanks. It was a lesson learned and now I know what to do if it happens again. I haven't tried any of the leaked OSs, but if I do I'll know what to do if BBM konks out.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 12:04 PM
    I tried going to the blackberry beta zone but i cant seem to figure out how to reinstall my bbm on my z10. can you give me step by step instruction. appreciate it thanks
    04-21-15 02:01 AM
    For about 8 hours I tried to get BBM on my Passport working after it came back from repair. I had transferred my account over to a loaner Android phone and was using BBM on it. However I had given the loaner phone back.

Luckily I had another spare device that could run BBM and I switched my account onto that tablet. Then I immediately went back to my Passport and signed into BBM and the switch worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps anyone else encountering the error message.
    07-23-15 09:56 AM