I set up a relative on BBM under Android, and the first time I sent them a video (not video chat, but actual video) they had trouble using it.

Basically, under BB10 if you accept a video it just plays. Under Android it seems you have to save it somewhere first, then find it and open it (Just like any other file?). This is a problem for someone not techo-savvy, and frankly a clunky solution for something that should just work.

Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-16 11:24 AM
    It should play if they have an app that can play it. If they don't, or the file type isn't associated with it, it may not play. There's not built in video viewer. It's an Android thing
    09-26-16 06:40 AM
    And yet they can play video already through the photos app. Maybe it is a filetype thing...will look into that.

It is hard for me to appreciate how many things need to have a separate app or different settings under Android. I wouldn't be surprised if I need to configure the config.sys and autoexec.bat file next! So many things just worked out of the box on BB10.

Oh well...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 07:25 AM
    It should play if they have an app that can play it. If they don't, or the file type isn't associated with it, it may not play. There's not built in video viewer. It's an Android thing
    Finally spent more time on this, and the answer appears to be that you cannot save and watch the video in 1 step from within BBM, regardless of the app. Seems like you absolutely need to manually save it first, and it does not even remember the path you used the last time. Explaining the concept of Android directories to a technophobe used to a BlackBerry that "just worked" is futile... they already use WhatsApp without any issues.

BBM has got to step up their game on Android if they want to compete. This should be seamless.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    10-10-16 10:21 AM
    Finally spent more time on this, and the answer appears to be that you cannot save and watch the video in 1 step from within BBM, regardless of the app. Seems like you absolutely need to manually save it first, and it does not even remember the path you used the last time. Explaining the concept of Android directories to a technophobe used to a BlackBerry that "just worked" is futile... they already use WhatsApp without any issues.

BBM has got to step up their game on Android if they want to compete. This should be seamless.

Posted via CB10
    No all you have to do is to save it on you device then tap on the icon within BBM and it will play.
    12-03-16 12:52 PM
    I have to try this again then, but the problem is the "save it on your device" part. On BlackBerry, i could send videos to my parents and they could view them easily. They don't know what a file system is, or where to put things. I guess maybe Apple was onto something afterall

Posted via CB10
    12-18-16 07:53 AM