You're not sure?
    Take the HTC One for example. Better camera, better screen, better design, far better speaker, far better CPU & GPU, far more robust app library, much more customizable OS, Google's robust ecosystem (that will only get much better after Google I/O.

Blackberry 10 is slick and fast, but the opportunity cost in using it outweighs most of the benefit.

Were BBM to be on Android in January this year, I may not have bought my Z10.
    does it come with bb10?
    archigos, grover5, seacan2 and 2 others like this.
    05-15-13 01:35 AM
    Your English is fine. Your math is what concerns me now. You have enough money to buy an iPhone and a Z10, but not enough to pay for sms messages. Check with your CPA on that, there may be an adjustment to be made somewhere.
    I have money to buy all the device I wanted, but I opted for a Z10 and Z10 only. Where did I write that I can't pay for my sms?

Many of you don't understand why people in emerging countries buy BBs for BBM only. That's probably because you don't live in one.

This is the case now that BBM go cross platform: BB will lose market in several countries (like mine) while gaining some in other. They already know that this will happen. Risky move indeed.
    Donvald likes this.
    05-15-13 01:49 AM
    I switched from an iPhone 4S to the Z10 because of the overall BB10 experience. With BBM going cross-platform am I going to switch back? No, I'm going to tell my sister to make sure and download BBM on her iPhone so that she and I can communicate over BBM. My wife will do the same on her iPhone. Whether they switch to BB10 would be pure speculation on my part so I won't. The point is that now I, a person who switched to BB10 for the overall experience, will now be able to communicate the way I want to with people who aren't inside my ecosystem.

The question of whether this was a good business move is not answerable because the factors involved are far too numerous for any person to adequately evaluate. I for one am very happy at the decision to go cross-platform but for my own personal reasons. Whether it ends up being a success overall is anyone's guess.
    Gla1ze, grover5, Alex_Hong and 6 others like this.
    05-15-13 01:55 AM
    I have money to buy all the device I wanted, but I opted for a Z10 and Z10 only. Where did I write that I can't pay for my sms?

Many of you don't understand why people in emerging countries buy BBs for BBM only. That's probably because you don't live in one.

This is the case now that BBM go cross platform: BB will lose market in several countries (like mine) while gaining some in other. They already know that this will happen. Risky move indeed.
    Plus one.
    Indonesian here, everything op said is true and will happen in indo
    Donvald likes this.
    05-15-13 01:56 AM
    Plus one.
    Indonesian here, everything op said is true and will happen in indo
    Even BlackBerry’s most loyal market is switching to Samsung – Quartz

Yup. Of course it will.
    glennster28 likes this.
    05-15-13 02:05 AM
    You have a cool job....I didn't know there was a phone official spokesman for entire mid-upper class of BlackBerry users in Indonesia. Nice
    Even BlackBerry’s most loyal market is switching to Samsung – Quartz
    05-15-13 02:08 AM
    does it come with bb10?
    Nope. It doesn't have to. It comes with an OS that is inferior in some ways, but superior in many more ways.
    millerliteboy likes this.
    05-15-13 02:16 AM
    I'm struggling to understand your rationale. You're saying the only reason to get a Z10/Q10/Q5.... is BBM? Are you on crack?
    I can't speak for the other units, but the Z10 is an all around powerhouse. There are way too many + points to be dwelling on BBM, or its proprietary status.
    Pushing BBM cross-platform can only be viewed as a boon for BlackBerry. Now users of other platforms can communicate with their BB using friends (and BBRY can flood BBM with BB marketing ads). ;D

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    seacan2 likes this.
    05-15-13 02:17 AM
    You should sell it now, the used price for Z10 in indo already half the brand new, it'll worth even less when bbm goes cross platform. I'm still trying to sell mine but no taker yet

Posted via CB10
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    05-15-13 02:21 AM
    I don't get it.
    Why BBM when you had other options like whatsapp available all this time?
    I'm not sure how this news will affect BlackBerry and I can see them losing customers but I don't think it is all down to bbm

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 02:23 AM
    I'm struggling to understand your rationale. You're saying the only reason to get a Z10/Q10/Q5.... is BBM? Are you on crack?
    I can't speak for the other units, but the Z10 is an all around powerhouse. There are way too many + points to be dwelling on BBM, or its proprietary status.
    Pushing BBM cross-platform can only be viewed as a boon for BlackBerry. Now users of other platforms can communicate with their BB using friends (and BBRY can flood BBM with BB marketing ads). ;D

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    In emerging markets, ppl uses 2 phones. Their android/ios main phone and bundle of fun. Another one purely for bbm app-less bb device.

In summer, the bundle of fun gets bbm. What need do they have for the device of no joy?

Hence the great migration will commence this summer. Best of both world. Apps!!! And bbm!
    Im saying this from the point of view of emerging marketa mind you, where its normal to carry 2 phones just as i mentioned

Understand now?
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    05-15-13 02:28 AM
    I don't get it.
    Why BBM when you had other options like whatsapp available all this time?
    I'm not sure how this news will affect BlackBerry and I can see them losing customers but I don't think it is all down to bbm

Posted via CB10
    My 2 cents:

Beside the fact that bbm is much better than whatsapp

Again, im saying this from pov of emerging market. Majority Ppl here (indonesia) still uses bb devices and hence bbm as their main messaging service. Although whatsapp user are getting more and more each day, the user base still pale in comparison to bbm

Now, with the multiplatform adoption, ppl in indonesia will still he able to communicate with the hundreds of ppl in their contacts via bbm on android and ios
    takeo likes this.
    05-15-13 02:34 AM
    Oh...ok. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me because I'm an adult and got the Z10 because of its excellent features, fluid UI, amazing keyboard (that virtually eradicated my text errors and increased my texting speed 10 fold), fantastic browsing experience, and the chance to be a part of the new BlackBerry.
    Sure...call me a fan boy...maybe I am...but I genuinely love the Z10. It has been an amazing ride thus far and I'll now be able to share this experience more closely with my friends without BBs.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    05-15-13 02:44 AM
    I was pretty worried too when I first heard that BBM is going cross platform. But I realised that...

1) It shows BB is confident that their OS will win people over. If BB had made BBM available to others before BB10 is out, they would have died. But their new OS and interface will be enough to win fans over. If they can't, then... too bad, they are doomed from the start and this won't make any difference. [Of course I don't believe that ] The point is, Blackberry now has soooo much more to offer besides BBM.
    2) I only have 1 person on my BBM...I used to have more than 50 or something... didn't even count. Those people who left, or would have left, had already done so. Can't wait to stop using Whatsapp once everybody has the option of going to BBM! It will be an advantage to current users who can have a built in, dedicated BBM service in their phone to msg their other friends. We BB10 users will still have the superior experience.
    3) Most people in Indonesia that I know of, have 2 phones, as some of you have mentioned. And I know many who are just waiting for Q10 anyway.
    05-15-13 02:49 AM
    I'm a devoted BlackBerry fan all these years and I got my beautiful Z10 last April as my 4th device after 8830, 9550, and 9800.

This decision will not only made by me and my friends, but the entire mid-upper class of BlackBerry users in Indonesia.

People here got "stuck" with BB because of BBM and nothing else. BB10 is great and all, but it wouldn't be enough.

The cross platform BBM is sure is a good news for you guys. But it's a disaster for whoever heads the BlackBerry office here.

Sorry for my average English. I'm thinking of Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5S. It's been fun guys.
    How much are you selling it for?

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-15-13 02:55 AM
    Sounds like BlackBerry will lose a few Indonesian users. Maybe a lot.

As has been said before, if these users didn't realise they could have WhatsApp on their Android or iOS phones, then they're not the people BlackBerry are targetting. Targetting people who don't know what competing platforms offer isn't a good strategy.

BB10 offers a lot of advantages, in UI, in camera, and potential going forward.
    That's why people are buying it, otherwise, if it's only for BBM, all these Indonesian users wouldn't be upgrading to BB10. After all, their BlackBerry is only a secondary phone just for BBM, their Android and iOS phone is their main device right?
    So why drop all this money on a secondary device which has the same BBM as the older one?

No, not buying it, no way. Something's very fishy here.

As an Indian origin person, I can say at least with pride this will be a welcome move in India, people on OS7 with social only plans now have more, not less people to talk to.
    Woo hoo. I might move my whole family to BlackBerries now, and it's a much easier sell than it was earlier yesterday.
    i think the bottom line (or fear) is that at the bottom end of cheap curves - one of the main reasons to stick with another bb is gone for many users.

imho in the uk most teens in the uk (on prepay bb plans) do so for bbm and they will likely switch to other handsets when it is time to change.

It appears to me that most move to ios or andriod after high school and this bbm move will bring this platform switch earlier.

in the uk BB's are mostly used by business and by school kids and they could be about to lose those kids.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Nope. It doesn't have to. It comes with an OS that is inferior in some ways, but superior in many more ways.
    but, then why would I buy it?
    05-15-13 02:59 AM
    I'm a devoted BlackBerry fan all these years and I got my beautiful Z10 last April as my 4th device after 8830, 9550, and 9800.

Sorry for my average English. I'm thinking of Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5S. It's been fun guys.
    Why do you want other phones if z10 is beautiful? To my mind it is shorts trolling.
    We need to create new topic: "Write here if you leave your beautiful gorgeous splendid loving and etc bb10 devices and switch to ios-android because of cross platform BBM."
    05-15-13 03:05 AM
    What this thread completely ignores, is smartphone adoption rate.

http://www.medianama.com/2012/12/223...ribers-report/

India has 44 million smartphone subscribers as of Q4 2012, recording a 52% growth YoY. However smartphones account for only 4% of the total subscribers

@BBM Keeping customers in the long term:

When people say, that the only thing they miss about BlackBerry is BBM this tells one thing:

There was nothing at all, that attracted these users enough to stay on the BlackBerry platform.
    If BBM would have been sooooo great, they would have stayed.

Now, with the new OS10 devices, the limitations of the old OS, that made people switch to other platforms, are gone.
    BlackBerry has now the ability, theoretically, after all the important apps are here, to attract customers from the other platforms. Something that was impossible before the introduction of OS10 even though BBM existed for years.

That BBM attracts customers, is a fallacy. If it would, than everybody would use a BlackBerry. In reality the marketshare is somewhere around 5%. Even though there is BBM.

That people do not understand that, is beyond me.
    And how it is a negative, to reach friends through BBM on your BBRY, who are not BBRY users, is also beyond me.

Posted via CB10
    seacan2 and randall2580 like this.
    05-15-13 03:10 AM
    If you bought something for ONE feature, you need to do better research. Now if the phone simply wasn't meeting your expectations and you are finding the features you need on other platforms INCLUDING BBM being multi-platform, then this would make sense.
    05-15-13 03:21 AM

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    You folks are soooo hilarious!
    First you crow on and on about Blackberry phones being the best for communication. And now people scoff when you tell them a key selling point for you in getting a BB is BBM. Isn't BBM part of the 'excellent communication features' you folks were boasting about just months ago?

Please don't 'struggle' to understand my rationale. You aren't me, you don't make my money, you have no say in how i spend my damn money. I have well over 250 friends, family members, colleagues and business contacts on BBM. I belong to a very prolific group where we discuss one of my main hobbies (EPL football) and general news and discussion. That is why BBM IS important to me.
    Why else do you think I stuck with that archaic 9900 for as long as I did, despite never being able to yield battery life more than half a day of use?

The Z10 is a powerhouse in some aspects, but hardware wise, it is superseded by much more powerful phones at the same price point. App library cannot hold a candle to iOS and Android, It isn't really customizable...and most of the positive points are replicated on other phones. What are the positive points you speak of?

I carry around 2 phones, always have, always will. The Blackberry has always been a constant for one slot while the other slot was reserved for iOS/Android. My BB was indispensable to me then. This move just makes it far less indispensable and I will be able to review later on if I can still carry one later on.

Perhaps when I switch from my Z10 to the Q10 I'll see if the physical keyboard is a big enough draw to keep me on BB. We'll see.
    05-15-13 03:27 AM
    If you bought something for ONE feature, you need to do better research.
    I can assure you, I do better research than most folks here. That ONE feature was important to me (okay, THREE features...BIS was wonderful then and the BB email experience then couldn't be beat) and I bought a phone that could provide that feature. Not sure what's so difficult for you folks to comprehend this simple fact.

Y'all scoff because it's BBM...perhaps you don't have any BBM contacts or it just isn't that important to you. I bet if someone said "I bought BB just for security" you'd be falling over yourselves to congratulate them.

I fail to see what 'research' has to do with anything, anyway. It just seems this 'do better research' phrase is something you folks parrot endlessly without asking yourselves if it makes any sense in the context it's being used.
    Deathcoffin and 21stNow like this.
    05-15-13 03:33 AM

Now, with the new OS10 devices, the limitations of the old OS, that made people switch to other platforms, are gone.
    BlackBerry has now the ability, theoretically, after all the important apps are here, to attract customers from the other platforms. Something that was impossible before the introduction of OS10 even though BBM existed for years.

Posted via CB10
    Why theoretically? And with cross platform BBM this ability will go further. If you use very good product(BBM) from a company(BB), is there are any chance that you will buy another very good products(OS10 phones) from this company? To my mind chances are very good.
    seacan2 likes this.
    05-15-13 03:35 AM
    I'm Indonesian,and I must say,BlackBerry is like the trend here. I don't think just because BBM will go cross-platform people will start ditching their BlackBerry and use androids or iOS devices. BlackBerry isn't only good because of BBM,but also because of the Physical Keyboard,and also security. Blackberry is the most secure operating system out there. so why change?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    seacan2 likes this.
    05-15-13 03:44 AM
490 1234 ...