I recently purchased an unlocked 9320 Curve, and I'm running it on Petro Can Mobility. I have no complaints about the phone, except for the fact it will not run BBM. Hangs at the "cannot set up BBM" screen. Tried numerous times, reset the phone, turned off mobile and left wifi on only. Tried some youtube suggestions. It just doesn't work.

My husbands Android Nexus 4 has no problem running BBM!! What a joke. No wonder they are failing. It doesn't even run on their own native phones. Very disappointed.
    10-23-13 08:23 PM
    You need a BIS plan for os7 phones unfortunately. Just the way the software is written. Not sure Petro Can has BIS available.

No such problem on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz likes this.
    10-23-13 08:27 PM
    I've changed the flamebaiting title to something slightly more relevant.

Looking at their website, it doesn't appear that Petro-Can offers any BIS service.
    BIS means BlackBerry Internet Service. It is a BlackBerry-specific data plan that's required for legacy BBOS devices. (i.e. anything that isn't the new BB10 devices)

Contact Petro-Can and ask if they BIS / BB data plans.

A few other things will check if you currently have one: Do you have a functioning BlackBerry World app? Can you set up email addresses to work in main Messages app? At top of screen where it shows your wireless service like 3G or EDGE or Wi-Fi, is there a 4-dot mini BB logo beside the network type?

If all of these are No, you don't have a BIS plan activated.
    Last edited by elite1; 10-23-13 at 08:57 PM.
    curvezzz likes this.
    10-23-13 08:45 PM
    Thats fine elite1. Didn't mean to flame bait. I'm just disappointed that it doesn't work on a BRAND NEW (albeit legacy) Blackberry phone. No there is no BIS plan available with PetroCan. App world works fine over WIfi though.

Unless they fire sale the Z10. I'm probably going to give this phone to my daughter and go with another Nexus 4 or maybe the Nexus 5 when it comes out. I like OS 10, but unless BB comes out with a Super NSA Impenetrable phone, I can't think of anything it offers over Android.
    10-23-13 08:59 PM
    Thats fine elite1. Didn't mean to flame bait. I'm just disappointed that it doesn't work on a BRAND NEW (albeit legacy) Blackberry phone. No there is no BIS plan available with PetroCan. App world works fine over WIfi though.

Unless they fire sale the Z10. I'm probably going to give this phone to my daughter and go with another Nexus 4 or maybe the Nexus 5 when it comes out. I like OS 10, but unless BB comes out with a Super NSA Impenetrable phone, I can't think of anything it offers over Android.
    So it's a carrier issue not a BlackBerry one! Aren't roids susceptible to viruses and such?

AT&T Z10
    10-23-13 09:09 PM
    I've changed the flamebaiting title to something slightly more relevant.

Looking at their website, it doesn't appear that Petro-Can offers any BIS service.
    BIS means BlackBerry Internet Service. It is a BlackBerry-specific data plan that's required for legacy BBOS devices. (i.e. anything that isn't the new BB10 devices)

Contact Petro-Can and ask if they BIS / BB data plans.

A few other things will check if you currently have one: Do you have a functioning BlackBerry World app? Can you set up email addresses to work in main Messages app? At top of screen where it shows your wireless service like 3G or EDGE or Wi-Fi, is there a 4-dot mini BB logo beside the network type?

If all of these are No, you don't have a BIS plan activated.
    You should add "which has no BIS plan available "

AT&T Z10
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-23-13 09:13 PM
    Painfully yes curvezzz!! From what I gather its really just a legacy issue. Unless you use BIS on Legacy, BBM just wont work. Its unfortunate, but it is what it is. Im not sure why its not possible to change this, but I'm not a programmer.
    10-23-13 09:15 PM
    Painfully yes curvezzz!! From what I gather its really just a legacy issue. Unless you use BIS on Legacy, BBM just wont work. Its unfortunate, but it is what it is. Im not sure why its not possible to change this, but I'm not a programmer.
    Just get a Q
    10-23-13 10:48 PM
    When they drop to a couple hundred bucks. Maybe Future Buy will throw in a gift card too??
    10-23-13 11:01 PM
    I agree it is a limiting thing today, but please consider that BIS was and is still a very good way to give access to some functions while blocking others, perfect for telecommunication companies selling plans and enterprises. It is still popular in developing countries since it brings data compression and reduce load in their lighter infrastructures. I mostly question this mobile company if they are selling legacy BlackBerry, but don't have BIS.

Still, now that we are used to have a fully functional phone, BIS tends to disappear. But that doesn't affect BB10 phones, which work like a boss. You can get new Z10 for around 350$ these days, and with the new 10.2 update, it is even better.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30.
    10-23-13 11:05 PM
    When they drop to a couple hundred bucks. Maybe Future Buy will throw in a gift card too??
    They are going for $200-$300 on ebay
    10-23-13 11:21 PM
    Thats tempting Curvezzz! Thanks.
    10-24-13 09:25 AM
    If you are in the Waterloo area I've seen new in box z10's in the $250 range unlocked. Now that I can sorta touch screen type I'm tempted to add one to my collection.

Look on Kijiji for them.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 10:41 AM

So you would spend the money on buying a new phone because your current won't work unless you spend more money on it?

Haha, sorry that's a long, confusing sentence, but hopefully understand my point.
    Shop around and find the carrier with cheapest BIS plan. Look at Koodo, Virgin, Fido, plus the big boys. I don't know much about Wind or Mobilicity, but they use different frequency bands and your BB might not be fully compatible.
    You would need to buy a new SIM card for that network if you can't convince them to give you one for hopping networks to them.

As another poster alluded to above, BIS offers data compression, so emails, browsing, apps, etc, use far less data on wireless network than other current smartphones. If you're budget conscious, but want to leave the door open to use the mobile network if you want to, BIS is a great way to go.

If you leave all connections on, it will automatically default to Wi-Fi if you're in the presence of a saved Wi-Fi network.
    If you turn off wireless data and leave Wi-Fi on, then you won't accidentally use wireless data. Phone & text messaging will still be functional while you're out.
    10-24-13 04:02 PM
    So it's a carrier issue not a BlackBerry one!
    Depends how you look at it. It's just how BlackBerry worked until BB10.
    This is a rare niche carrier that never did BIS.

It's up to the customer to research tech before they buy it, including ensuring compatibility.
    However, it's a real shame that neither whoever sold the phone to her, nor whoever set her up on her plan with the new device, took the time to explain or even inquire if she knew.

Aren't roids susceptible to viruses and such?
    Yes and no.

Yes, Android is more susceptible to malware than the more closed platforms of BB10 and iOS.

But no, there's not really a risk if you only obtain apps from the official store (Google Play), and that these apps were released from reputable/established developers.
    Stay relatively mainstream and you should be fine.
    10-24-13 04:12 PM