Never used it cause non of my contacts have Blackberry's. Exactly what is it? Is it like text messaging? Does it go against your monthly allotment (if you have one) of text messages?

Please, no smart arse remarks, as stated previously, I've never had the opportunity to look into it. All my contacst have non-smart phones, Droids or iPhones. It might become useful to me when it goes cross platform.
    08-01-13 10:04 PM
    With bbm you can chat,voice call and video call you can add me if you want to try it pin:2AF5A1B8

Q10SQN100-3/10.1.0.4687
    08-01-13 10:06 PM
    Better than texting. Shows that the recpient's phone receives your message and shows when they actually read the message. Does not count against normal SMS plans. BBM is data.
    08-01-13 10:09 PM
    There are a slew of BBM Groups on the site with many topics that may interest you. I'd checkout and join a few, this way you can chat send files and pics' to get a hands on experience how it works.
    Like you I don't have many casual BBM contacts just business relations.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:26 PM
    Pretty soon the whole world will be bbning from what I am reading. Meaning most smartphones if not all, doesn't have to be BlackBerry, at first I was mad that other products can use it but after thinking about it, I think it will be beneficial for BlackBerry as a company!
    08-01-13 10:30 PM
    BBM is the proprietary IM/Voice (only on specific devices) app of BlackBerry. This is limited now to BlackBerry devices only as the system uses the PIN which is unique to each BlackBerry device as it's identification address. In case of SMS it would your phone number whereas for iMessage it can be your email i.d. which is again unique to you. BBM communication can only be with other BBM users and those who are willing to accept you as their contact. You need to have the other person's PIN to invite them to be your contact. Very private/you will know if your contact has received your chat with a D and then when he/she has read the same (open the chat) it will turn R! You can use WiFi to talk for free with the BBM contact. This is limited to certain devices and availability of WiFi.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 11:52 PM
    Never used it cause non of my contacts have Blackberry's. Exactly what is it? Is it like text messaging? Does it go against your monthly allotment (if you have one) of text messages?

Please, no smart arse remarks, as stated previously, I've never had the opportunity to look into it. All my contacst have non-smart phones, Droids or iPhones. It might become useful to me when it goes cross platform.
    BBM is basically an IM application on your smartphone, used to send text messages, voice messages, calls or video chats.
    BBM has always been limited to BlackBerry due to the BIS architecture and the way text messages get routed. A Blackberry user using anything but a BB10 device still needs a separate BIS subscription from their provider. With the new BB10 phones, the BIS requirement has been lifted and everything you send through BBM just goes to your monthly data allowance.

BBM going cross platform, will allow BBM users to have that great texting experience (D for Delivered and R for Read) on a non-BlackBerry smartphone, coupled with the knowledge of security. In later stages, Cross platform BBM will have Voice calls over WIFI and Video chat over 3G/WIFI. I'm crossing my fingers here and hope they'll evolve voice calling to the point you can use it over 3G.

So in essence, BBM is evey chat app you ever used, on steriods.
    When they release a WEB/DESKTOP version they'll be a serious competitor to Skype in terms of video calling but in order to make a definite dent in Skype's reign, they need to offer paid VOIP services for businesses or even free plans in conjunction with Fusion/BES.

Get mixed in the conversation here: The future of BBM
    08-02-13 02:25 AM
    Got it.....Thanx for all the replies, certainly appreciate it. Maybe I'll join a group just to check i out.
    rallen562 likes this.
    08-02-13 11:35 AM