I have been a BBM Fan for years, it is without a doubt my preferred method of chatting with my friends. I have been almost obnoxious trying to get my friends, family and colleagues to use BBM. While there are some who are hateful towards anything Blackberry, most are quite willing try.

The number one issue, even from those who like BBM, is that they would rather use it from the desktop and after an initial surge using BBM, they end up leaving BBM. I can understand that, they do not have the Blackberry keyboard, so typing is a lot harder for them. Also, with Blend, I pretty much use it exclusively when at my desktop.

If Blackberry wants to become one of the top, or even the number one IM app for mobility, they need a desktop app. Even with the growth of mobility, the desktop is not going anywhere. The desktop and/or laptop on a desk, is still where I do almost all of my work. The desktop is also where most of my clients and business associates do most of their work. The desktop is still important, that may not be so true in 10 years but for now it is.

Blackberry please give us a desktop BBM client
    hasa77 and muellerto like this.
    09-10-15 06:52 AM
    I am guessing we will not get it soon of we ever get it.
    For now we can use blend.
    The problem with desktop BBM is that it will require simultaneous use at PC and phone.
    Up to now you can have BBM in one device only, so I am guessing it will need some basic redesign.
    Just guessing though.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    09-10-15 09:06 AM
    Blend?

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    09-11-15 10:51 PM
    Blend?

Posted via CB10
    Blend is not cross platform, only for BlackBerry 10 devices

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 12:46 AM
    Blend is not cross platform, only for BlackBerry 10 devices

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my point.
    Everyone should be carrying one.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    TJ Strozier and 3_M4N like this.
    09-12-15 04:13 AM
    Nearly every attempt to get someone to join bbm fails. Today I needed to arrange a meeting with a client in another continent. He asked how we should communicate and I told him, "bbm is best". he replied that if bbm were available for the desktop then he would install it (not a smartphone user).

So we're going to have our meeting on skype. <sigh>
    09-17-15 03:17 PM
    You should post feature request on betazone...

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 04:50 AM
    I don't disagree with your sentiments about BBM. But BlackBerry has way bigger problems than to worry about creating a feature for a declining marketplace (desktop) for a customer base that isn't their core target market (BBM enthusiasts). They have bungled many things when it comes to BBM.

They shouldn't be trying to monetize it in the way they've been going about it either. They also should be focusing on core products that serve their business clientele. Anything else is a distraction.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 11:36 AM
    We still can't even do video chat between bb10 and other platforms... can't even use this thing as a Skype alternative and it's less well known to being with.

Not sure why they bothered with cross platform at this point other than eventually having to release an android phone eventually, which could easily live without bbm

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:09 AM
    We still can't even do video chat between bb10 and other platforms... can't even use this thing as a Skype alternative and it's less well known to being with.

Not sure why they bothered with cross platform at this point other than eventually having to release an android phone eventually, which could easily live without bbm

Posted via CB10
    BBM generates money for the company now whereas before it was just an expense. Making it cross platform makes perfect sense.

They are adding many features and it is becoming one of the most feature rich messaging apps out there. BBM Meetings works surprisingly well so the infrastructure is there. There wouldn't be much appeal to making video chat cross platform if they can't monetize it. The tricky part for them now is probably figuring out how to add a feature that they would want to monetize that they already provide BB10 with for free.
    10-01-15 12:43 AM
    BBM generates money for the company now whereas before it was just an expense. Making it cross platform makes perfect sense.
    Making it cross platform as a concept makes sense. Their timeframe and execution does not... Guess which one is more important.
    10-01-15 01:54 PM
    Making it cross platform as a concept makes sense. Their timeframe and execution does not... Guess which one is more important.
    Can't say I disagree with you there. The feature rollout is pretty lackluster and the pricing of those said features seems questionable.

At this point, they almost need a "redo" for their subscription services. They should have a free version and a paid version. Paid version includes all current "subscription based services" plus video chat.

And market the stupid thing!!! Glimpse is an awesome feature. Far more worth a subscription than retractable messages, in my opinion. Market the goodies, give free trials of the Premium features to get the masses hooked. Stop pushing the damn sticker club! I'd rather pay for one sticker pack of my choosing each month than pay to get access to random ones such as "Rainbow Hotdog"!
    10-01-15 02:19 PM
    BBM on the desktop only with an own BBID would be awesome!

⌨ BBM News: ☠☞ or try C00215825 ☎C003D68A0 ☠
    10-02-15 06:31 PM
    Nearly every attempt to get someone to join bbm fails. Today I needed to arrange a meeting with a client in another continent. He asked how we should communicate and I told him, "bbm is best". he replied that if bbm were available for the desktop then he would install it (not a smartphone user).

So we're going to have our meeting on skype. <sigh>
    That's what BBM Meetings is for.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.2.2639 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.6.28
    10-02-15 07:53 PM
    Definitely time for BBM on computers WITHOUT Blend.

Simply download BBM and use. Easy and simple.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-02-15 11:32 PM
    That's what BBM Meetings is for.
    You are right and I'm looking into that, although it is somewhat expensive.
    10-08-15 01:45 PM
    http://n4bb.com/use-bbm-desktop-using-bluestacks/

BBM is by far the greatest mobile messaging application. Here is a way to have BBM on your desktop computer, using a very simple method involving BlueStacks.
    BlueStacks is an Android emulator, available for free to download at http://www.bluestacks.com/. Both Mac and Windows versions are at your disposal.
    Simply install the application, and run the emulator.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 09:08 AM
    Thanks, jaypatelani, for reminding us about bluestacks! A long time ago I installed it, but the emulator was a real resource hog and just not worth the hassle... I certainly could never recommend a client or partner to install it just for the sake of bbm... But you're right, it does work.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-03-15 06:52 PM