This is something I honestly don't know the answer to. I think most people who have experienced it will agree that BBMx is not very reliable, and might actually be said to...erm...well...really suck.

What I want to know is why we should expect eBBM to be any different?

Also, if there IS a good reason why eBBM is going work properly cross platform, WHY is consumer BBMx so rubbish?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:41 AM
    BBMx doesn't suck. iOS sucks and, as a result, BBM for iOS sucks. The Android version runs fine, as will the Windows version.
    06-22-14 06:18 AM
    Doesn't that sound like an excuse? I don't know how better Android BBM is, so can't speak on that topic, but how does WhatsApp manage to handle the suckiness?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:27 AM
    And I have a BlackBerry, and I find BBM quite buggy too. It's better than the iOS bugginess, but I do think it's something we should not try to hide or at least ignore.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:29 AM
    BBMx doesn't suck. iOS sucks and, as a result, BBM for iOS sucks. The Android version runs fine, as will the Windows version.
    And, as we agree that BBMx sucks on iOS, what about my original question: what is there to suggest that eBBM won't suck on iOS, which could be quite problematic if folks are paying for it?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:30 AM
    I bet that there's way more resources on eBBM. This application has a price. A big price. BlackBerry can't afford not to provide top-notch service.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:59 AM
    I bet that there's way more resources on eBBM. This application has a price. A big price. BlackBerry can't afford not to provide top-notch service.

Posted via CB10
    Well, that's sort of my point. They certainly can't.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:28 AM
    WhatsApp is what, 4 years old?
    BBMx for iOS is 6 months old.

Like all of modern day BlackBerry, the BBM team had to forego some beta testing because they could not afford to waste any more time getting it to the market. They will have it running smoothly by the time eBBM launches.
    06-22-14 07:48 AM

Like all of modern day BlackBerry, the BBM team had to forego some beta testing because they could not afford to waste any more time getting it to the market. They will have it running smoothly by the time eBBM launches.
    Got to admire the sureness and confidence.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:09 AM

If it doesn't run smoothly long before eBBM launches (ie VERY soon!), there will be no more iOS BBM users left in my circles of friends, family and workmates.
    06-22-14 01:42 PM
    If it doesn't run smoothly long before eBBM launches (ie VERY soon!), there will be no more iOS BBM users left in my circles of friends, family and workmates.
    I feel the same. I have lost a few bbm friends because of it, but considering it's a free app and easy to delete, it won't be hard to convince them to give it another try when it is sorted out.

Not that, that should be taken as an excuse to lessen the urgency..
    06-22-14 01:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has done some incredible things in very short order, up against the world.

They have been left in a near-impossible situation and done rather well with the feats. I don't like the bugs and rushed releases either, but they keep pushing forward and making huge leaps in features and bug fixes.
    06-22-14 02:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is fully aware there is some issues cross-platform and they're constantly looking to improve them. Is it perfect? Nope and they know that. Knowing is half the battle. Previously they'd know of issues and never really put a concerted effort into fixing them because they were all over the place.

The BBM Team is well, a TEAM now and essentially being ran sep. they have their own resources and aren't being stretched. Things will improve and as others have noted, BBM isn't mature yet cross-platform everything else out there is.

I'm sure that will be twisted into an 'excuse' or a fanboy comment or w/e else but that's the reality of it. They were never their own team before and now they are, it allows for more focus and effort to be put in. I know a bit more than the normal person about how much they're actually listening and wanting feedback on it all so, say people can say whatever they want.. I know what the real deal is.

They're listening. They're gathering feedback and they're taking it all into account and when and where they can they're improving things as they go.
    Dave Bourque and gokulesh like this.
    06-22-14 02:07 PM
    BlackBerry has done some incredible things in very short order, up against the world.

They have been left in a near-impossible situation and done rather well with the feats. I don't like the bugs and rushed releases either, but they keep pushing forward and making huge leaps in features and bug fixes.
    It's always about excuses... Why not to admit than the xBBM is not complete or crappy right now rather than closing eyes and saying that BBM is the best and secure and uber...?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:07 PM
    *edit

Nevermind
    06-22-14 02:11 PM
    BlackBerry is fully aware there is some issues cross-platform and they're constantly looking to improve them. Is it perfect? Nope and they know that. Knowing is half the battle. Previously they'd know of issues and never really put a concerted effort into fixing them because they were all over the place.

The BBM Team is well, a TEAM now and essentially being ran sep. they have their own resources and aren't being stretched. Things will improve and as others have noted, BBM isn't mature yet cross-platform everything else out there is.
    Yes, being aware of the issues is certainly a good start. I also mentioned somewhere that I do not suffer from the delusion that this stuff is easy. I'm sure it's incredibly difficult, especially with BBM being a more complex app than WhatsApp, for example.

None of this helps the image and reputation of BBM, of course, especially as these issues continue over time. That's my concern, in addition to the question of whether eBBM etc will work with iOS.

Guess we will have to see.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:13 PM
    Also, thanks Bla1ze for the information.

It's easy for all of us to be harsh in our criticism when typing and venting, and forget we are talking about real people. I do look forward to the day when BBMx is stable and mature so that real headway can be made.

An article on this at some point would be worth a read...

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:19 PM
    I can only speak for myself. It's not hatred or disrespect for BB people nor for the company BB.
    Actually, it is the opposite.

It is the sheer desperation of someone who has been a BB user for almost 10 years, and who still tries to convince people to join the BB10 platform and BBM(x), and who gets disappointed and who loses BBM connections on a daily basis, due to the buggy and complicated to use (the user's words!) nature of BBM on iOS, and due to the fact that certain bugs have been around since the product got released and are still unresolved.

I do no longer know what to do. I can't retain BBMx users forever by appealing to their patience because the product is young. After more than 6 months, they don't care any longer, and they feel annoyed! None of them is a BB aficionado like I am, but all of them are (were?) potential buyers/customers! If the situation doesn't improve, I will have no more BBM connections left, in an estimated 4 weeks from now. Down from ~50, just fyi.
    06-22-14 04:50 PM
    I really don't understand what problems people are having on iOS. Because my dad consistently uses BBM on iOS and I've tested a few issues that people mention but can't replicate it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    southlander likes this.
    06-22-14 05:38 PM
    As Bla1ze said they are working hard. It is complicated. The messages go through the NOC, likely, and so not as easy. Just because a bug is known does not automatically translate into a fix.

Let us hypotheicate (don't know if this is a word) that to fix this 6 month old bug they need to rewrite some NOC software. That may take much longer because not only do they have to verify that it is fixed but also ensure it has not screwed up other stuff.

So, you are right, ios users may leave and there is nothing you can do.

I don't use another service. Period. So people who want to talk to me either use text or BBM.

I am not asking others to change or force them. But I like BBM and so by the same token I am not prepared to use something I don't want to for others either.

And they can always call.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:42 PM
    I really don't understand what problems people are having on iOS. Because my dad consistently uses BBM on iOS and I've tested a few issues that people mention but can't replicate it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    This is great, but believe me, I'm not here to just make up stories.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:14 PM
    This is something I honestly don't know the answer to. I think most people who have experienced it will agree that BBMx is not very reliable, and might actually be said to...erm...well...really suck.

What I want to know is why we should expect eBBM to be any different?

Also, if there IS a good reason why eBBM is going work properly cross platform, WHY is consumer BBMx so rubbish?

Posted via CB10
    iOS itself is terrible which makes apps run terrible. There's your answer.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:35 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Yeah I have had good luck with it. On both iOS and Android. Not perfect but it works pretty well.
    06-22-14 10:49 PM
    I've had excellent luck with Android BBM contacts, but it's been hit or miss with iPhone BBM contacts. I think it depends on how they interact with their notification "panel",.. I also think Android users have been slightly better conditioned to deal with small bugs and quirks, while iOS users expect things to "just work" and to work very smoothly.

Not excusing BBMx deficiencies, but just stating my small sample of observations and conjecture based upon them.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 11:01 PM
    iOS itself is terrible which makes apps run terrible. There's your answer.

Posted via CB10
    With respect, I think that's probably not an 'excuse'. WhatsApp works on iOS somehow, as do many other messaging apps.

Anyway, I'm sure the BBM team are doing their best. Hopefully things will improve.

Posted via CB10
    bspence87 likes this.
    06-23-14 01:30 AM