Hi

please comment logically on this .

Normally a stolen BlackBerry mobile is wiped after 10 wrong device password attempt. At the end the person can still use the device after wiping with a new account.

Why if: for example
    1- The device is registered to email [email protected].
    2- when Any one tries to wipe the device, is emailed a unique wipe code to that device registered email.
    3. the email can be opened through any pc, tablet even by legit user. So legit owner is never locked out of his device.
    4- the wipe proceeds but the device will be unable to perform new setup unless that emailed wipe code is entered.

While the thief will never have the wipe unique code so device remains locked for him.

whatif it is provided as an option.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 10:24 AM
    That's a neat idea!
    11-27-14 10:33 AM
    You can post this neat idea at icanmakeitbetter.com hope they can implement this idea!

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 10:37 AM
    5. Feature becomes common knowledge.
    6. Thieves remove SIM before wiping device, email can't be sent.
    7.???

I like your thinking though.
    11-27-14 10:44 AM
    Nice idea, perhaps owners email is embeded into phone or something along those lines, maybe it would work with pin

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    11-27-14 10:53 AM
    Nice idea, perhaps owners email is embeded into phone or something along those lines, maybe it would work with pin

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    I could be wrong, but is the PIN not printed on the device somewhere behind the battery?

Anyway I wager that the main reason that such schemes are not implemented by device manufacturers is the potential volume of additional support calls they would receive.
    Relying on the likes of email to deliver such crucial information is dodgy since it is not completely reliable. Even a mail being put into someone's spam folder could trigger a support case.
    11-27-14 11:08 AM
    Hi

please comment logically on this .

Normally a stolen BlackBerry mobile is wiped after 10 wrong device password attempt. At the end the person can still use the device after wiping with a new account.

Why if: for example
    1- The device is registered to email [email protected].
    2- when Any one tries to wipe the device, is emailed a unique wipe code to that device registered email.
    3. the email can be opened through any pc, tablet even by legit user. So legit owner is never locked out of his device.
    4- the wipe proceeds but the device will be unable to perform new setup unless that emailed wipe code is entered.

While the thief will never have the wipe unique code so device remains locked for him.

whatif it is provided as an option.

Posted via CB10
    I think BlackBerry ID is better suited to handle it, logon to their servers vs email.

Reason : emails can be forwarded and users in a multi device world we're in today can have their email setup on numerous devices. Let's say a traveller with a laptop in a bag has their email setup on that. Travel bag also had their phone within same bag. Think of this as a carry on bag for a plane, left in a cab on the way to a hotel. This happens more commonly than most people think.

Idea is sound but clarity of the device being wiped continues yet user is never locked out of their device has me lost.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    11-27-14 11:24 AM
    You are debating possible implementations. First, RIM must include in the security model a use case where the device's owner opts to preclude the wipe. IMHO, that will never occur.
    11-27-14 11:29 AM
    Sounds like a great idea. As the one poster talked about removing the sim prior to the wipe, the unsent email would mean the phone I remains locks until the email is sent and the code entered. If this was an off device function, then the email could be triggered and sent with or without the sim. Even a light picking of the phone when the sim is removed triggered by the phone dropping off the cell network.
    Very good idea.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 11:31 AM
    my opinion is

1- how many people have BlackBerry and internet NOT working on it? thats the whole purpose of BlackBerry internet 24 hours.

2- first thing thieves do is to turn off phone/remove sim/ turn off radios. So they cannot be detected. How many normal users do this. ?

you can wipe your device when u r in reach of Internet. The Idea is to not allow the thieves to enjoy your mobile just by wiping it .

This feature will make thieves finding BlackBerry mobile least attractive to steal or sell it to someone after stealing. Only things they are left it to use spare parts.

BlackBerry can use it as an extra security feature which favors the users who spend $400-500 on its device.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 12:12 PM