I can understand the appeal behind the concept. But that appeal would normally only apply to the sender. Does anybody think that self destructing messages are good for the recipient?

If a boss sends an employee a message with job instructions, the recipient follows through with the instructions, then down the line it comes back to bite him... It would suck rocks if the message from his/her boss is conspicuously missing when trying to defend their actions. I'm sure BES should be able to get around this. But what about at the personal usage level? If an Ex significant other posts threats to you, but those incriminating messages disappear, that could be bad.

I can't help but think senders need to be held accountable for what they send. Watch Judge Judy etc.. enough, and you can see several examples of why recipients saving all their SMS/Messaging correspondence is essential.

I can see the usefulness when both sender and recipient are on the same page. But I can't help but see the obvious ways it can be abused.

Thoughts?

Penned via Tapatalk
    10-31-14 02:17 PM
    You certainly have picked out a few examples in which the timed message may be a bad thing.

There are hundreds of others in which it could be a good thing.
    Boss to manager "keep an eye on George, we haven't been getting much productivity out of him lately"
    Chen to CB Kevin "check out this prototype we're working on!"
    Wife to husband "are you sure you have to work late *view photo*"
    Manager to employee "we need to let somebody go. What are your thoughts?"

Or sending several photos to discuss the best solution. Who wants to have to look through 20 to find the one they want. Request the right one and the rest delete themselves

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 03:33 PM
    I can understand the appeal behind the concept. But that appeal would normally only apply to the sender. Does anybody think that self destructing messages are good for the recipient?

If a boss sends an employee a message with job instructions, the recipient follows through with the instructions, then down the line it comes back to bite him... It would suck rocks if the message from his/her boss is conspicuously missing when trying to defend their actions. I'm sure BES should be able to get around this. But what about at the personal usage level? If an Ex significant other posts threats to you, but those incriminating messages disappear, that could be bad.

I can't help but think senders need to be held accountable for what they send. Watch Judge Judy etc.. enough, and you can see several examples of why recipients saving all their SMS/Messaging correspondence is essential.

I can see the usefulness when both sender and recipient are on the same page. But I can't help but see the obvious ways it can be abused.

Thoughts?

Penned via Tapatalk
    I think the intent is more like snapchat.
    10-31-14 03:40 PM
    I understand what the intent may be.

But realistically, is not the possibility of abuse obvious? Especially given the original intent of BBM?

Penned via Tapatalk
    10-31-14 03:46 PM
    Well I get your point and I think you're right in a way. However, a serious guy at work will always know that he might want to get things on paper (or email) in order to have his legitimation.

I think this feature is a nice-to have and might come in handy from time to time. I'm not sure about its real value yet though.
    10-31-14 05:03 PM
    I suppose the recipient of a threatening message can still take a screenshot should the sender ever decide to retract.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:01 PM
    In my opinion, messages should only be retractable until they are marked as 'read'. Retractability is more for errors in content than for secrecy, as the opposing site can always make a Screenshot of a message for example. I have no problem with the self-destructing messages, other than that they give a false sense of security to people that think the other person can't make a screenshot of them (or get a second phone and film the screen or whatever).

BlackBerry should give us S/MIME and PGP capabilities!
    11-01-14 08:05 PM
    You know, since BlackBerry makes bbm and then phones, they could release a future version that didn't allow screen shots of timed messages. Of course if you had another camera around.....

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 09:22 PM