I love BBM I loved it from my 9300, Z10 and now on my Huawei, I have made it my daily driver messenger, especially since my wife loves it, but then again I can't stand the promoted stuff and random invitations from i don't know who. Whenever I check the update I must get a sponsored content, if I choose not to check the update I will be forced to ignore and block the invitation.

Then there is WhatsApp, fluid and buttery smooth.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    chain13 likes this.
    06-13-16 02:18 AM
    I am with you on the bbm ads

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    06-13-16 02:45 AM
    Nothing is free.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-13-16 08:48 AM
    I get nothing is free, and I can subscribe, but isn't WhatsApp just better in that department?

06-13-16 09:05 AM
    I dont get BBM ads. I dont get or understand all the complaints of ads at all. I dont get any
    gugomat and acovey like this.
    06-13-16 09:40 AM
    I dont get BBM ads. I dont get or understand all the complaints of ads at all. I dont get any
    I don't get any, either

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    gugomat and acovey like this.
    06-13-16 02:44 PM
    I get nothing is free, and I can subscribe, but isn't WhatsApp just better in that department?

Depends. If you don't mind Facebook owning and selling your metadata -- I mean, really, they paid $19B for SOMEthing they can monetize -- and you don't mind WhatsApp grabbing your whole contact list... then, yeah; I suppose it is. It's all in your priorities.

06-13-16 02:48 PM
    I don't get any, either

I have been using BBM since sometime around 2007 and don't recall ever getting an ad either.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and rubyslipperss like this.
    06-13-16 10:04 PM
    I am getting tired as well, too many sponsor adds and random invites as well.

06-13-16 10:38 PM
    What adds? Where do they appear?

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    06-13-16 11:24 PM
    Ads are more prevalent on iOS and Android. BB10 will get them occasionally but you'll see them more on iOS and Android since many of them are apps that they want you to install and well, you can't install them on BB10 (Mobile Strike, Hotels.com, etc)
    DaDaDogg and DrEd14 like this.
    06-14-16 08:08 AM
    Ads are more prevalent on iOS and Android. BB10 will get them occasionally but you'll see them more on iOS and Android since many of them are apps that they want you to install and well, you can't install them on BB10 (Mobile Strike, Hotels.com, etc)
    If that is the case then its pretty much expected on that platform so dont see how people would complain about it. Every free app that is available on those platforms gets monetized in some way, ads or your soul!
    06-14-16 09:02 AM
    Something like this

Attached Thumbnails I am tired of BBM-82310.jpg  
    06-17-16 03:38 PM
    Something like this
    Ah. I thought you meant you were getting ads popping up in your chats. I don't ever look in "feeds" (I will check the channels to which I'm subscribed now and again), but I did just now, and I don't see any "sponsored content" there, either.
    06-17-16 04:30 PM
    Ah. I thought you meant you were getting ads popping up in your chats. I don't ever look in "feeds" (I will check the channels to which I'm subscribed now and again), but I did just now, and I don't see any "sponsored content" there, either.
    Yes it happens when I check the feeds, and besides random invitations you also get "sponsored invites" that pops up now and then on your chat list

06-18-16 02:22 AM
    Sponsored content is also based on your location. Not much ads in the Netherlands

Posted via CB10
    06-20-16 03:58 AM
    But then that's my point, do I have to first switch off the location services for me to use BBM smoothly. Or is it way of monetizing it. I wouldn't mind a paid version to get rid of this. Once off

06-21-16 01:12 AM
    But then that's my point, do I have to first switch off the location services for me to use BBM smoothly. Or is it way of monetizing it. I wouldn't mind a paid version to get rid of this. Once off

Look in the BBM Shop. You can get a "No Ads" subscription for a monthly fee, that eliminates all the ads.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-21-16 01:13 AM

BBM Protected? Get's rid of ads too.

Via Pasta CB10
    06-21-16 05:15 AM
    I am reminded of when Altavista tried to place intrusive ads on their page and lost the web to Google. They realized their mistake and fixed the problem, but it was too late and the mass exodus to Google was already under way. Google has figured out how to make ads hassle free for users (no need to click on them unless you're interested, and they try to melt into the background most of the time) and also make them predictable and unintrusive. BBM ads seem to be specifically calculated to create the highest level of angst and resentment among users. They show up in the middle of your conversation list, at random times (though increasingly it seems every time to look at the app). When you click them and hit back to clear them, they sometimes freeze for about 5 seconds. I assume they're intentionally making them irritating hoping for a surge of revenue from "no ads" subscriptions now that their hardware division is on life support. Someone probably calculated that they'll go bankrupt if they continue down the path they're on, and this is a final Hail Mary play. That, or they hired the Altavista advertising team and they think that users won't mind!

Any thoughts on what the best BBM replacement is. I am considering WhatsApp, Kik, Hangouts, WeChat, and Telegram. About half of my friends are already on WhatsApp so that is an obvious choice, but does anyone have experience with the others?
    06-21-16 02:33 PM
    Any thoughts on what the best BBM replacement is. I am considering WhatsApp, Kik, Hangouts, WeChat, and Telegram. About half of my friends are already on WhatsApp so that is an obvious choice, but does anyone have experience with the others?
    Depends on your personal views, but why not consider the "No Ads" subscription from the BBM Shop? In my opinion, it is better than paying with your personal data, like with WhatsApp or Hangouts. I do not have any experience with Kik, WeChat or Telegram. Though I don't see any reason to ever seriously try these. Getting the subscription also saves you the hassle of switching to a new messenger.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-21-16 03:12 PM
    Depends. If you don't mind Facebook owning and selling your metadata -- I mean, really, they paid $19B for SOMEthing they can monetize -- and you don't mind WhatsApp grabbing your whole contact list... then, yeah; I suppose it is. It's all in your priorities.

If those things worry you, You need to get off the internet. Your info has been bought, sold, and traded more times than a cheap Hore working Time Square in the late 70's
    06-21-16 03:24 PM
    If those things worry you, You need to get off the internet. Your info has been bought, sold, and traded more times than a cheap Hore working Time Square in the late 70's
    Uh huh. So your argument is that's a good reason to just not care anymore?

06-21-16 04:20 PM
    Uh huh. So your argument is that's a good reason to just not care anymore?

My comment was a good reason to focus on things you can change. Privacy? That ship has sailed, a long time ago.
    06-22-16 09:39 AM
    My comment was a good reason to focus on things you can change. Privacy? That ship has sailed, a long time ago.
    I disagree -- while it's a rare person who's actually "off the grid," one doesn't _have_ to use and constantly update Facebook, one doesn't _have_ to leave location services on, one doesn't _have_ use Android apps with no permissions control. There are many, many things one can do to minimize the personal information leakage in one's life.

itsyaboy, dusdal and parketheo like this.
    06-22-16 10:10 AM
73 123