I liked BBM, and a lot of features about it, and most of my friends were fine with it too. But sure enough, as soon as BlackBerry started ad-spamming they wanted out and so now we have moved on to Telegram. I think I could have prevented the switch had BlackBerry not been so out-to-lunch on their pricing. MOST app users don't want to spend anything, and the scoff at the idea of spending even $0.99 even once, let alone monthly. Maybe try charging people once a year for no ads? Maybe just try enforcing that, unlike whatsapp.

Anyways I think more people would pitch in for that and it would cut back on the on the negative perception of BlackBerry's brand as a whole.

For a $1/month I'd like to see them throw in all their service packs: no ads, personalized PIN, sticker club,& BBM protected! Leverage BBM channels better and serve ads there, then improve the 'fun content' and open up the option to use wallpapers. Then SELL wallpaper packs to people. They started the option of wallpapers on BB10, and it looks like we still only have the choice of 4 different colors and that's it. Does BBM even have the ability to screen share during video chats on iOS or Android?

Even then I think BBM would be a tough sell to most people. They'd have to add something people would see real value in to really start adding users. Imagine if you could totally "theme it" almost like ChompSMS for Android. Then you could also have a theme-store! Gadzooks another revenue-stream! Maybe do like Skype/Viber and offer the ability to call landlines and cell phones for a small cost? I don't think Skype makes a lot of money, if any, but maybe if BlackBerry could get people a SECURE & PRIVATE connection matched with their fantastic BBM-call audio quality (when it is working), and basically offer inexpensive international calls, I think a lot of people would actually be more into it.

OK so this kind of became a wishful thinking thread, but I mean my point still stands, they need to make a lot better of an offering to actually get people to pay anything close to what the company wants.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    09-07-16 12:53 AM
    http://www.cryptofails.com/post/7054...alysis-contest

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11..._telegram_app/

<MOST app users don't want to spend anything, and the scoff at the idea of spending even $0.99 even once, let alone monthly. >

You get what you pay for.

Is the righteous encryption in BBM Protected worth US $30/yr..? That's up to you to decide, but it is for me.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-07-16 12:23 PM
    The general mentality of internet users has been ****ed since day one. When services were most often offered for free, people have started to believe that all software needs to be free. No discussion possible. It doesn't even enter into their heads that people actually have to make software....

But I do agree that BBM takes the wrong route in regards to making a profit out of it. Those monthly subscriptions are too bold for the current mindset. The ads are too intrusive. No killer features that are worth any money too... but will see how it develops.

I wouldn't mind paying for true cross-platform BBM Video, if it is a reasonable price..

In the end, I also think that they should make it easier for consumers to get BBM Protected. I have it, but took some help from somebody else...

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    09-07-16 04:47 PM
    ... When services were most often offered for free, people have started to believe that all software needs to be free.

But I do agree that BBM takes the wrong route in regards to making a profit out of it. Those monthly subscriptions are too bold for the current mindset. The ads are too intrusive. No killer features that are worth any money too... but will see how it develops.

I wouldn't mind paying for true cross-platform BBM Video, if it is a reasonable price..

In the end, I also think that they should make it easier for consumers to get BBM Protected. I have it, but took some help from somebody else...
    Can't argue with any of that -- with the exception that I've never seen an ad on BBM. I especially agree with the observation you make about "free" apps and software; and I think a lot more people would use BBM Protected if it were easier to admin. I was determined.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-07-16 06:16 PM
    Can't argue with any of that -- with the exception that I've never seen an ad on BBM. I especially agree with the observation you make about "free" apps and software; and I think a lot more people would use BBM Protected if it were easier to admin. I was determined.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    That is because you have BBM Protected right? Disables all ads... that was a wise decision of them. And hey, you are using a 9900?

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 01:32 AM
    -- with the exception that I've never seen an ad on BBM.
    Its mainly on iOS and Android. I was surprised at how many ads I received on BBM when I switch from a BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 01:35 AM
    I literally know zero persons who use bbm. I tried convincing my two best friends, but zero luck. Why would they lol since we already have whatsapp

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    09-08-16 01:45 AM
    The general mentality of internet users has been ****ed since day one. When services were most often offered for free, people have started to believe that all software needs to be free. No discussion possible. It doesn't even enter into their heads that people actually have to make software....
    One of my friends is/was like this in a bad way. Says he hates ads to the point that he'll delete an app if it has ads in it, but refuses to pay for an app as well. Myself and Some others in our group kind of berated him on it, reminding him that REAL people are spending their REAL time and resources on making these apps, and that it's not their job to provide him entertainment for free. He's kind of toned it down now since we've convinced him to utilize things like Google Rewards to pay the $0.99 or whatever for any app purchase he'd need to make.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 02:56 AM
    http://www.cryptofails.com/post/7054...alysis-contest

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11..._telegram_app/

<MOST app users don't want to spend anything, and the scoff at the idea of spending even $0.99 even once, let alone monthly. >

You get what you pay for.

Is the righteous encryption in BBM Protected worth US $30/yr..? That's up to you to decide, but it is for me.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    The issue for my group (we were using BBM as a group chat, hence the continual reference to them as 'the group') wasn't necessarily to do with security. They literally don't give two-hoots about security or privacy in their messaging app. It was a general consensus along the lines of "hey look! Telegram is free, has no ads, has things like stickers and gif support which is also free. We don't care about security, Why are we still using BBM?"

I mean, personally, I think Telegram has to be doing something shady to offer what they are without charging. Or maybe they're trying to attract investors or something? But either way the general apathy towards security/privacy isn't helping BlackBerry's sales pitch. That's why I'm thinking BlackBerry have to offer a better value, and to really take off, probably find a really killer feature that's somewhat unique.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 03:29 AM
    That is because you have BBM Protected right? Disables all ads... that was a wise decision of them. And hey, you are using a 9900?
    In the past, I've had legacy devices; I've also had a Z10 and Z30. Currently, I'm using a Passport SE and a 9900. I've used BBM for years, but I've only had Protected for a year. I've never seen an ad.

I understand from the forums the ads are only on non-BlackBerry devices, but I can imagine how irritating it would be to have ads popping up in my hub (is that how it works..?).

09-08-16 07:14 AM
    I literally know zero persons who use bbm. I tried convincing my two best friends, but zero luck. Why would they lol since we already have whatsapp
    If it doesn't bother you that WhatsApp is owned and exploited by Facebook -- and clearly, that fact doesn't bother a lot of people -- no reason.

Also, I like PIN registration: I have many BBM contacts who are casual acquaintances who don't my phone number. Installing BBM doesn't automatically raid my contacts list.

miker476 likes this.
    09-08-16 07:19 AM
    In the past, I've had legacy devices; I've also had a Z10 and Z30. Currently, I'm using a Passport SE and a 9900. I've used BBM for years, but I've only had Protected for a year. I've never seen an ad.

I understand from the forums the ads are only on non-BlackBerry devices, but I can imagine how irritating it would be to have ads popping up in my hub (is that how it works..?).

BBM Ads won't appear in the Hub - sponsored invites, chat list ads and feed ads are all contained within the app. Also, there are ads on BB10 devices, but they're not as prevalent as Android / iOS - there's more people to serve them to on those platforms that it isn't as lucrative to serve them on BB10.

Ads in the Hub only happen if you're using Hub+ on a non-BlackBerry device (but that's different from BBM)
    09-08-16 08:57 AM

BBM ads are relatively new and appear in all BBM versions, UNLESS you have a "No Ads" subscription of BBM Protected. The frequency of ads inside BBM and the location of ads inside BBM depend on the operating system AND on your geographical location. Back in the day, ads in BBM for BlackBerry 10 only appeared in feeds. I am not sure whether this is still the case. Currently, in BBM for iOS and Android, ads appear in between BBM chats. In your case, it makes sense that you have never seen an ad, because you have BBM Protected for a year. Before that, they probably did not feature ads yet (didn't check though).

Ads in the Hub appear only on Android... those are part of the Hub+ suite (see front page of Crackberry).

This should explain it all properly..
    09-08-16 02:09 PM
    In your case, it makes sense that you have never seen an ad, because you have BBM Protected for a year. Before that, they probably did not feature ads yet (didn't check though).
    Also, before I had BBM Protected, I had that "Privacy" subscription.

09-08-16 07:17 PM
    I don't think the issue is only with paying. The issue is worth the brand itself, everyone feels BBM is old school and honestly even with the new sign up process, having different kinds of contacts and spam invites, and the general experience is just too complicated. I have a paid bbm profile and don't get this much spam on WhatsApp.
    09-09-16 07:14 AM
    I don't think the issue is only with paying. The issue is worth the brand itself, everyone feels BBM is old school and honestly even with the new sign up process, having different kinds of contacts and spam invites, and the general experience is just too complicated. I have a paid bbm profile and don't get this much spam on WhatsApp.
    I've also never had a "spam invite."

As I have previously, I'll also disagree with the characterization of BBM as "just too complicated." I do understand that all you have to do is install WhatsApp, and the software raids your contacts and pretty much takes things from there; but I personally prefer a messaging service that's built for the purpose of helping me communicate (as opposed to getting my contacts onto a server). All you have to do to connect with someone on BBM is send them your PIN. It couldn't _be_ much simpler. I was always amused with whole custom PIN thing, because it's not like you actually have to know your PIN to send it to someone.

BBM Protected; yeah, that's a bit more complicated -- but nearly all the work is on the admin's end, and the hard part is actually figuring out what you need to do the first time.

09-09-16 08:04 AM
    I have protected, too. I didn't realize it stopped all ads but it makes sense because one of the admin options is to disable the Store.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-09-16 08:43 AM
    Yes, I think what you've described leads to BBM feeling very cluttered, too. I think ads should really be focused in the channels section.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 09:31 PM