BBM is by far my most used app and I love it. It keeps me in touch with friends and family across the world, and now with XBBM, even more so. I've tried other IM apps, and for me none are better than BBM.

Here are just a few basic how to's on BBM for BB10, and in most cases will apply for BBM on Android and iOS as well.
    Most things are accessed through what I call the main screen which is the chat list.

How to change Display Picture

Open the BBM app. Not from the HUB but the app itself.
    Click on the bar with the name at the very top of the screen.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131226.png

Click on the picture spot on the top left next to your name, and you will have the option to replace picture along the the bottom bar. Click that, navigate to the picture you want. You will then be given options to edit the pic. Once done, click done at the top right and a pop up will notify you that BBM picture has been set.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131227.png

Here you can also change your Display Name , check your connected apps, change your status, set your availability as busy or available and show your bar code and pin number.

Back to the screen that lists all your chats. If you swipe down, you will see an option that allows you to select which chats you want to show in your list.
    Groups, Contacts, BBM Chats or ALL.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131228.png

In the same chat list screen along the bottom you will see chats, contacts, groups and more. The first three take you to the respective places. The more button takes you to a few more options: Invite someone to BBM, Multiperson chat, send a broadcast msg or start a chat.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131230.png

How to request a HQ pic.

A great feature that BBM has is the ability to share pictures. However BBM by default sends low resolution pictures, and in some cases they just don't look good. In this case you have the option to request a Higer Quality picture.
    Within your chat, long press on the picture received. This will open a side menu with some options. Selecet HQ and the the sender will receive a request to resend in HQ.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131229.png

BBM Settings:

Back to you Chat list. Swipe down from the very top (from your name bar) will reveal Help, Scan to Invite, and Settings. Click Settings:

Here you will have many options to select from and set BBM up the way you want.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131231.png

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131232.png

Groups have become quite popular lately with the release of XBBM.

To get to your groups, from your chat list, either just hit the group icon along the bottom, or hit the 3 lines which will reveal a side menu to the left with your chats, groups, updates, contacts and invites. If you have BBM Beta Channels, channels will also appear there.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131234.png

Click on groups and you will see your list of groups. I have mine set to grid view.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131235.png

To view the group, click on it and you will see this:

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131236.png

From here you can go to the active chat, add pictures, lists, and calendar events. The overflow menu also has these options, plus setting for each group.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131237.png

If you are like me, I don't want to see all the chats and pictures from the group in my hub. This can get quite overwhelming, especially if the group is active. So I go to settings and toggle off show chats and pictures in the hub.

[Guide] The basics of BBM-img_20131238.png

Don't forget to also go to main settings on your BB10 device - notifications - BBM Groups, and turn alerts off if you don't want to be constantly notified by sound or led. Could start to drive you crazy. It does me that's for sure.
    I'm not sure if you can do this on IPhone or Android.

So those are the basics. There are many other features of BBM such as Voice, Video, and Channels that I will cover in part II. In the mean time, get to chatting!!!
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 10-26-13 at 10:00 PM.
    10-26-13 07:35 PM
    Wonderful little write up!
    10-26-13 07:47 PM
    I'd really like to add a note about requesting full-res pictures.

BBM by default sends a low-res image. If you receive one and want to get the full High Quality version, just long press the picture and select HQ from action menu appearing on right.

Hamster, feel free to add this to your OP with some screenshots.
    (Sorry I've got to run and can't just now!)
    10-26-13 07:56 PM
    I'd really like to add a note about requesting full-res pictures.

BBM by default sends a low-res image. If you receive one and want to get the full High Quality version, just long press the picture and select HQ from action menu appearing on right.

Hamster, feel free to add this to your OP with some screenshots.
    (Sorry I've got to run and can't just now!)
    Sorry.....I had this in the wrong place lol I wasn't finished. I was getting to the HQ part lol
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-26-13 08:02 PM
    Thanks! I was being asked by some new BBM buddies for the instruction manual. I'll just send them this link...
    10-26-13 10:55 PM
    Excellent work on this guide!
    10-28-13 09:04 AM
    GREAT write-up. You may also want to include something about the Music Updates setting. It can become rather...embarrassing.
    David in Durham likes this.
    10-28-13 08:11 PM
    Settings for iOS and Android BlackBerry Messenger is in the right menu because a swipe down from the top opens the OS notification centre.

OP: Why the heck do you have your font size set so huge? I have mine at 5, as small as it can go.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 08:52 PM
    GREAT write-up. You may also want to include something about the Music Updates setting. It can become rather...embarrassing.
    I'm pretty sure she's going to do a part II or "Advanced" Guide.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    10-28-13 09:00 PM
    Great post. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 09:04 PM
    Only if you're a prat. That's not what phones are for.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 09:07 PM
    That's great! I'm a big fan of the Tips, How To and FAQ sub-forum (remember that?) and stickies in general, in part because they're so informative and often updated threads. So I thought I'd offer a suggestion too.

Only if you're a prat. That's not what phones are for.
    One of the weekend's trending threads would like to disagree with you lol
    10-28-13 09:25 PM
    One of the weekend's trending threads would like to disagree with you lol
    That's my point. So many people are prats and do foolish things without thinking.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 09:29 PM
    Settings for iOS and Android BlackBerry Messenger is in the right menu because a swipe down from the top opens the OS notification centre.

OP: Why the heck do you have your font size set so huge? I have mine at 5, as small as it can go.

Posted via CB10
    Because I like it that way, lol. Old eyes you know
    11-02-13 08:50 AM
    Yes sir. Working on it
    11-02-13 08:58 AM
    Because I like it that way, lol. Old eyes you know
    I can certainly identify with that! I'm on 12 point...
    11-02-13 10:13 AM
    very helpful. the question is, what is the point of bbm connected apps? serious question because I have no idea and everytime I install a native app it asks for bbm permissions.
    3rdStone likes this.
    11-03-13 09:10 PM
    Thanks for the write-up! I was looking around for some BBM tutorials on youtube, and came across this pretty awesome video that Stephen Carrick-Davies did with a couple of kids from the UK. Bear in mind that this is older, before BBM went cross-platform.

The kids' enthusiasm is infectious, and the part between 8:10 to 8:30 completely blew my mind. Also, it seems like a small-scale project, not something sponsored by Blackberry, which is kind of cool. Sorry if this was posted earlier.
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 11-09-13 at 05:40 PM.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    11-09-13 05:16 PM
    Can I down grade? This version of bbm is freezing my phone worse than before!!!!! Didn't think that could happen but wonders never cease.
    12-09-13 02:16 AM
    Can I down grade? This version of bbm is freezing my phone worse than before!!!!! Didn't think that could happen but wonders never cease.
    RROYY - APPLICATION ARCHIVE
    12-09-13 11:08 AM
    Hi

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-21-14 01:07 PM
    Sorry to ask like this-

Is BBM just BB to BB phone messaging, similar to iMessage?

My Classic will be a work phone primarily, and I do not know any BlackBerry users here in the US.

Thanks
    01-05-15 05:53 AM
    Sorry to ask like this-

Is BBM just BB to BB phone messaging, similar to iMessage?

My Classic will be a work phone primarily, and I do not know any BlackBerry users here in the US.

Thanks
    BBM is also available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone, though BBM video is still only available for BlackBerry devices. Take a look here: BBM for Android & iPhone iOS - Download Free Instant Messaging - Canada.
    01-05-15 06:34 AM
    So it is BB to BB messaging like iMessage?
    01-05-15 05:02 PM
    So it is BB to BB messaging like iMessage?
    Similar, yes.
    01-05-15 05:37 PM
31 12