BBM gave us a pretty cool features called glympse but to use it is really not cool. The reason is, it does not do anything & it does not show anything. Yes, you can see your friends real time movement on a map but you have no idea where he is or how long he will take to get here.

Most of the road names are also not labeled anyway.

To make glympse useful, we must have at least the following ;
    - ETA
    - traffic information
    - distance between my friend & me
    - highlight the route that my friend should take to get to where I am.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 08:12 AM
    Useless? No. It's been useful every time I've used it. It would be extra work to add those parameters and not necessarily help.

Traffic information not available in my area.
    The route to be taken may not be what would be shown.

For sending it to family, as my case, the ETA and route mean less than knowing my location.

I would say your suggestions could be helpful features, but I don�t think I would necessarily use them.

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    11-27-15 03:18 PM
    Useless? No. It's been useful every time I've used it. It would be extra work to add those parameters and not necessarily help.

Traffic information not available in my area.
    The route to be taken may not be what would be shown.

For sending it to family, as my case, the ETA and route mean less than knowing my location.

I would say your suggestions could be helpful features, but I don�t think I would necessarily use them.

Posted via CB10
    If you just want to send your location for your family there is no need for glympse right?

How do you find it useful? I just can't figure it out?

Everyone I send glympse to will not look at it or just curse me for sending them useless rubbish. Coz they don't see useful information in it. Do share so that I know how to use it.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 09:04 PM
    Use case: you are trying to look for a friend at an amusement park you tell him to share gylmpse. Your friend now doesn't have to stay at the exact spot or have to tell you where exactly he is. You can come looking for him.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and skstrials like this.
    11-27-15 09:10 PM
    If you just want to send your location for your family there is no need for glympse right?

How do you find it useful? I just can't figure it out?

Everyone I send glympse to will not look at it or just curse me for sending them useless rubbish. Coz they don't see useful information in it. Do share so that I know how to use it.

Posted via CB10
    Picked up food out of town, New Years Day, and drove 40km. That stretch varies between 25 to 45 minutes (one of those years was a drunk driving checkpoint, causing the longest delay out of like the last 10 years) depending on traffic and time of day and how lucky I get with green lights. So that's why I'm saying the route and traffic estimates would be useless/misleading. But they would be able to see on the Glympse when I got past the bottleneck and onto the main highway, at which point from their experience and little traffic would be fairly accurate. With Glympse, I put it in when I leave the restaurant, and don't have to BBM when I'm "15 minutes out" while driving, which is essentially the goal of the notification/heads up in this case.

I'm coloured by some recent downtown trips where traffic said 1 minute delays, and total trip was like 14 minutes longer than when I left my apartment. So unless you live in the city with excellent traffic reporting, it's totally 'meh' idea to me.
    11-27-15 10:29 PM
    Picked up food out of town, New Years Day, and drove 40km. That stretch varies between 25 to 45 minutes (one of those years was a drunk driving checkpoint, causing the longest delay out of like the last 10 years) depending on traffic and time of day and how lucky I get with green lights. So that's why I'm saying the route and traffic estimates would be useless/misleading. But they would be able to see on the Glympse when I got past the bottleneck and onto the main highway, at which point from their experience and little traffic would be fairly accurate. With Glympse, I put it in when I leave the restaurant, and don't have to BBM when I'm "15 minutes out" while driving, which is essentially the goal of the notification/heads up in this case.

I'm coloured by some recent downtown trips where traffic said 1 minute delays, and total trip was like 14 minutes longer than when I left my apartment. So unless you live in the city with excellent traffic reporting, it's totally 'meh' idea to me.
    Have you tried using Waze? It is very accurate as to the time of arrival. When you are stuck in traffic or when traffic builds up ahead it would automatically update & say ETA updated due to delay ahead because of traffic build up or accident or whatever.

If Waze can do it how come glympse can't? Why not integrate Waze instead of glympse?

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 10:41 PM
    Have you tried using Waze? It is very accurate as to the time of arrival. When you are stuck in traffic or when traffic builds up ahead it would automatically update & say ETA updated due to delay ahead because of traffic build up or accident or whatever.

If Waze can do it how come glympse can't? Why not integrate Waze instead of glympse?

Posted via CB10
    No. Years ago, my buddy used to rave about it and how often he used it. He said he stopped using it because it was doing way more harm than good, giving stupid directions and being incorrect. And then there is all the intentional gaming of the system so traffic doesn't bother certain neighbourhoods...
    11-27-15 11:40 PM
    Often meeting up with friends just say a general area.

Send a glympse, they send a reply glympse and we can see each other's locations in real time.

Makes rendezvous waaaay easier.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 01:22 AM
    You assume everyone is using it to drive. My friends and I use it more when walking or biking to help us meet up together, which renders traffic and eta useless.
    Most importantly, Glympse is not a navigation system, it is a user controlled social gps location sharing system.
    Those features would be neat, but they are also dependent on glympse providing this and that doesn't appear to be what they want to do. Remember glympse is not a BlackBerry product, they are their own company and simply provide apis for other companies to use for basic gps location sharing.

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    dietertong likes this.
    11-28-15 08:58 AM
    Glympse is not a navigation system, it is a user controlled social gps location sharing system.
    Agree. The OP does not understand this. Glympse is a totally cool feature of BBM. When I am on a rural highway in a winter blizzard at night, in the Northeast, it is great that my wife can track my location on her Z30 if I send her a Glympse invite on BBM when I leave ( remember, BBM must be kept maximized). My friends love the fun aspect but I think it is the ultimate safety feature!

BB, Still the One
    11-29-15 09:01 AM
    You assume everyone is using it to drive. My friends and I use it more when walking or biking to help us meet up together, which renders traffic and eta useless.
    Most importantly, Glympse is not a navigation system, it is a user controlled social gps location sharing system.
    Those features would be neat, but they are also dependent on glympse providing this and that doesn't appear to be what they want to do. Remember glympse is not a BlackBerry product, they are their own company and simply provide apis for other companies to use for basic gps location sharing.

Thanks. I guess then in this way Glympse is really of no use to me then coz I have no use for it unless I'm driving. If I'm in the same area where my friends are then there is just no need for it anymore coz we would just send a message to each other saying we are in a particular place and we will meet in a minute or 2. If we are in the same area then it would most probably be a Shopping mall which this would not work as there is no way to see which floor my friend is on.
    11-29-15 10:21 AM
    The OP does not understand this.
    or is a troll.

Glympse is a totally cool feature of BBM. When I am on a rural highway in a winter blizzard at night, in the Northeast, it is great that my wife can track my location on her Z30 if I send her a Glympse invite on BBM when I leave ( remember, BBM must be kept maximized).
    In addition to meeting up with friends, I also let my wife Glympse my location when I'm on a long bike ride. Same idea as your night driving.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    11-29-15 11:07 AM
    Sure, if you want to keep having either stop to update your location via messaging or try to message while driving. Give someone a Glympse before you head out, and your location is constantly updated. Not that hard to figure out, and far from useless.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    dusdal and TCB on Z10 like this.
    11-29-15 11:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because Waze is owned by Google?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 08:02 AM
    Because Waze is owned by Google?

Posted via CB10
    Because everyone insist I should use Waze. All my friends don't open to read my glympse anymore.

They want me to tell them where I am at that current moment because glympse can't. At the same time they want me to tell them how long more will I have to take to get there. Glympse also can't do that.

Waze also advertise daily over the radio and provide traffic reports over the radio too.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 09:45 AM
    OP wants what the good old school BBOS did with BlackBerry Traffic. That was a GREAT feature, I used it daily and was so frustrated when BlackBerry didn't include it in BB10.

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    11-30-15 11:17 AM
    Thanks. I guess then in this way Glympse is really of no use to me then coz I have no use for it unless I'm driving. If I'm in the same area where my friends are then there is just no need for it anymore coz we would just send a message to each other saying we are in a particular place and we will meet in a minute or 2. If we are in the same area then it would most probably be a Shopping mall which this would not work as there is no way to see which floor my friend is on.
    When on way home, I send my wife a glympse. She uses to track about how long I'll be. It's quick and easy.

When going to movies with friends, we also tend to use as we all drive or walk from different areas. Let's us all quickly see who isn't there and around where we are. I've used to meetup on dog walks as well. Always worked well.

Eta would be nice, but as glympse doesn't provide that sort of service...yet, then yes Waze is the option.

11-30-15 03:08 PM