I've been modeling BBM growth for the past year. BBM will reach 100M downloads from Google Play in December. That's a big milestone for an app that many had said would be DOA... My model predicts that it will happen between Dec 1 and Dec 21, 2014.

Analyst Post: Projecting BBM downloads -- Part II

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 11:46 AM
    Thanks I do hope it will come true soon

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 12:05 PM
    thats great but we need people to continue using it. Im sure many of us have had a few friends download it, only to forget about it, or simply uninstall it.

I've gotten my closest friends to use it but I wont ask more until more improvements/features come to the app
    10-22-14 02:57 PM
    I don't know if that's good or bad. Chen keeps mentioning a 80-90M active user number. If almost 100M android clients have been downloaded, them either most of them are dormant, or there are very few active users on iOS, Windows Phone and even BlackBerry devices!

I cringe at the thought of 50M (or whatever meager number it is at this point) BlackBerry devices not taking advantage of the best BBM experience (compared to BBM on other platforms).

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 03:25 PM
    Yes the conversion of downloads to MAU is not great on Android. Also losing a lot of former BlackBerry users from the MAU count. But it's turning around slowly... I think the new features in next version will help. BlackBerry needs to make sure that bugs on non-BlackBerry devices are fixed fast, and that feature parity arrives soon.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 04:21 PM
    I don't know if that's good or bad. Chen keeps mentioning a 80-90M active user number. If almost 100M android clients have been downloaded, them either most of them are dormant, or there are very few active users on iOS, Windows Phone and even BlackBerry devices!

I cringe at the thought of 50M (or whatever meager number it is at this point) BlackBerry devices not taking advantage of the best BBM experience (compared to BBM on other platforms).

Posted via CB10
    I think it's 115M active now, not sure.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:51 AM
    Definitely using it on my note

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-23-14 01:54 AM
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/10/bbm-fall-preview/

According to this post made by Jeff G. in October it's currently 91 million active users.

They have a great product on their hands but in my opinion it's being mismanaged. Yes the new retract and timed message features are both welcomed and been requested thousands of times so yay for finally bringing these "security" features to BBM that prides itself on being a secure IM client.

However. They're building upon a largely defunct base. While IM from BlackBerry to BlackBerry is great, the cross platform experience is grasping at straws. They need to consolidate all their teams working on it and assign specific tasks. One permanent team in charge of bug fixes is desperately needed.

They have amazing potential especially with VOICE and VIDEO but they severely lack the knowledge of getting this to market.

Groups is another potential killer feature but as it is right now it's a PITA to use and the average user just won't bother with it. Compare this to the groups implementation of for example Whatsapp, it's easy and straight forward and people want that ease of use.

BBM is my favorite IM but I'm being forced to use others because of their lackluster attitude to these relatively simple fixes. I'm not saying it's easy as pie, I'm just saying they need to focus more on user experience and ease of use than on adding new for the moment and their userbase will grow. I'm pretty sure BBM is feature packed right now to justify holding off on adding new ones and focusing on optimization.

Give us an app that works smoothly on all platforms (including Blend), redesign groups so it's easier to use, give us multi-file transfers, file sharing through cloud services (send a file link from box or Dropbox and see the download progress in BBM), give us a light version of EBBM and slowly but surely add additional features.

Given Blend and Voice and Video options going cross platform they have huge potential but it needs to be smooth and easy to use.

My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    10-23-14 04:38 AM
    Nice post! BBM must keep evolving. I've been trying to bring my friends. Some did and some Didn't. But, with the constantly upgrades, maybe more people enjoy the service soon.

iWho? Z30 baby...
    10-23-14 06:55 AM
    no way they have 115 active users. I am guessing still around that 91-93 million active. Its increased VERY slowly. They might have 100 million downloads by december, guess we will see
    10-23-14 08:28 AM
    no way they have 115 active users. I am guessing still around that 91-93 million active. Its increased VERY slowly. They might have 100 million downloads by december, guess we will see
    Yeah that's what I thought. Way too many inactive users.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 09:21 AM
    Can't blame people, BBM is missing some of the basic needs, while has quite some fancy features!

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 09:30 AM