As the title says, curious to know whether multiperson in-chat pics have the same (annoying) request HQ option? Does the sender have to grant HQ from everyone requesting in the multiperson chat? Or does the pic automatically show in HQ?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 10:53 PM
    It was never a matter of "granting" anything. BBM sends a compressed version of the image for faster communication, should one need to see the full image he can request HQ versions.
    04-01-14 11:04 PM
    Sooo it is that a yes for HQ requests in multiperson chats??? I get the mechanics and the logic (as pointless as it is in 2014), just wondering how it works with multiperson in-chat pics

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 08:37 AM
    BBM sends a compressed version of the image for faster communication...
    I disagree. BlackBerry is cheaping out on server traffic to alleviate their own network, under the guise of 'saving people data' and 'faster communication'.

Whatsapp has had high quality in-chat group pics forever, and it doesn't delay a thing. Works as it should with minimal disruption to the user - one of the recent updates made thumbnails even bigger so you rarely need to even open the pic to get a good glympse of what it's about.

THIS is what's preventing my main whatsapp groups from coming to bbm groups, and I'm hoping this new bbm update with multiperson chats is an improvement and not another 'gotcha' with the stupid request HQ for every pic.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    04-02-14 08:43 AM
    In a world where 100% of mobiles were in high quality 4G LTE, your arguments would be 100% accurate.

We're not in such wourld yet though.
    04-02-14 10:42 AM
    I don't disagree a compressed pic option is ideal for lowcost devices on lowspeed (high cost) networks. But I'm curious to know how many premium z10s, z30s, and q10s are being used in these regions.

How many whatsapp users are in these regions using the default HQ pic option? Why isn't it an issue for them? I would say there are millions more whatsapp users on lowcost devices on lowspeed networks than bbm users.

That aside, why can't it just be a bloody OPTION?? This has been discussed at length before. The reason it's not an option is because I believe the majority of users would default it to HQ, and this would put more strain on BlackBerry servers. They're choosing to make it a per-request inconvenience, and it's annoying. It's reminiscent of the old RIM that catered towards truncated data to appease carriers (their initial customers) who didn't want to spend the money to upgrade their networks.

I just wish they'd open up the floodgates and stop the fiddle f*ing around. Have they learned nothing from apple and android?? Obviously there's huge progress with bb10, but feature limitations like this show they're still slow to give users what they want.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by JasonGallagher; 04-02-14 at 11:31 AM.
    04-02-14 11:18 AM

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 11:23 AM
    I disagree. BlackBerry is cheaping out on server traffic to alleviate their own network, under the guise of 'saving people data' and 'faster communication'.

Whatsapp has had high quality in-chat group pics forever, and it doesn't delay a thing. Works as it should with minimal disruption to the user - one of the recent updates made thumbnails even bigger so you rarely need to even open the pic to get a good glympse of what it's about.

THIS is what's preventing my main whatsapp groups from coming to bbm groups, and I'm hoping this new bbm update with multiperson chats is an improvement and not another 'gotcha' with the stupid request HQ for every pic.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp doesn't send High-quality pics, I know that because I compared and I know exactly what I'm talking about, they send higher quality pic than BBM but when you request a high quality pic on BBM, the pic is better than Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 01:02 PM
    Whatsapp doesn't send High-quality pics, I know that because I compared and I know exactly what I'm talking about, they send higher quality pic than BBM but when you request a high quality pic on BBM, the pic is better than Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. I believe you, but just based on my own experience whatsapp pic quality (both in the enlarged thumbnail and when opened) is good quality...good enough for viewing on mobile.

The BBM thumbnail is small and of course when opened is low quality until you request HQ and the sender accepts. Simple enough but an unnecessary interruption to a conversation.

No one has yet answered the post question...do multiperson chats with the new inapp pic feature request HQ pics the same as individual chats?? And does each party have to request HQ and does the sender have to send HQ to each person?? I haven't yet used the feature and before I invite some android users to a multiperson chat I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 03:51 PM