What are the main arguments bbm has over whatsapp which I can use to convince my friends to make the jump??

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 02:02 AM
    BBM Voice, BBM video, BBM screen share
    slade632 and Dude_9 like this.
    09-21-13 02:03 AM
    Plus it actually shows when the receiver has read the message instead of clueless ticks
    09-21-13 02:04 AM
    BBM channels is really awesome and adds a personal experience to BBM
    09-21-13 02:07 AM
    Most of that stuff is BB10-exclusive and won't convince anyone of anything.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    richardat, Bsbudd and Dude_9 like this.
    09-21-13 08:02 AM
    You can see when your response is read, it doesn't show the time you were last online (if you want to ignore someone), it's free, and so on. Once video, voice, etc. are launched its gg.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 08:05 AM
    There is also bbm groups which is awesome. I plan on making a group for each one of my classes at college. #BBM4ALL

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    Last edited by Stephen Hollowood; 09-22-13 at 02:12 PM.
    09-22-13 09:45 AM
    I'm looking forward to setting up a BBM group with classmates as well as group members.
    09-22-13 02:01 PM
    If you don't know any reasons for your friends to switch to BBM from WhatsApp then why do you want to convince your friends to switch to BBM from WhatsApp?

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    09-22-13 11:44 PM
    If you don't know any reasons for your friends to switch to BBM from WhatsApp then why do you want to convince your friends to switch to BBM from WhatsApp?

Posted via CB10
    He knows BBM is better but doesn't know why. xD
    09-23-13 11:30 AM
    I'm not a BBM expert, I just started using it a bit for the first time. I think the only major difference that your friends might appreciate is that it is PIN based. Aside from the privacy stuff in my limited experience it makes BBM function more like a social network rather than whatsapp which is just instant messaging.
    09-23-13 12:35 PM
    I'm not a BBM expert, I just started using it a bit for the first time. I think the only major difference that your friends might appreciate is that it is PIN based. Aside from the privacy stuff in my limited experience it makes BBM function more like a social network rather than whatsapp which is just instant messaging.
    Yeah I really like the PIN stuff. That's why I'm so excited for it.
    09-23-13 12:50 PM
    A PIN on BBM is not much different than a user name on an IM network, so what you're saying makes no sense. And there are other messengers with more social features than BBM on the market right now.

Channels is what is going to turn it into a bit of a Twitter/Tumbler Clone/Hybrid, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to use that when Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ already exist and offer so much more, in addition to messaging (on FB/G+).
    09-24-13 08:56 AM
    And Channels aren't on iOS/Android versions of BBM but they already exists on ChatOn...
    09-24-13 09:02 AM
    Its very sad indeed how BlackBerry charges pay as u go customers for BBM, then end up giving it for free to none BlackBerry Customers in cross platform, so where does that leave the pay as u go customers

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 03:20 PM
    A PIN on BBM is not much different than a user name on an IM network, so what you're saying makes no sense. And there are other messengers with more social features than BBM on the market right now.

Channels is what is going to turn it into a bit of a Twitter/Tumbler Clone/Hybrid, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to use that when Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ already exist and offer so much more, in addition to messaging (on FB/G+).
    It's simple BBM is all in 1 & it offers much better security & privacy. I know WeChat is trying to fill that void at the moment. There are winning with more attractive emoticons

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:21 PM
    BBM offers better security & privacy? Really? Was its launch not brought to its knees worldwide by one leaked version of the app?

Seems very safe and secure to me...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:46 PM
    BBM offers better security & privacy? Really? Was its launch not brought to its knees worldwide by one leaked version of the app?

Seems very safe and secure to me...

Posted via CB10
    What's your definition of security and privacy? I fail to see how it relates to the issue with the leaked version and how BBM was brought to it's knees? Were BBM services down preventing regular BlackBerry users from communicating with eachother?

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    09-29-13 12:15 AM
    i think they are diffrent i like to use whatsapp cos most of my contacts and friends are there plus its easy to use and dont kill the battery quickly..bbm is good too to meet new people and chat but the battery dies so fast with it
    09-29-13 11:49 AM

What I meant was that with BBM you can send someone an invite through their PIN and they can accept or deny like facebook. So I can manage my BBM contacts separately from my regular contacts. With Whatsapp if I give someone my phone number and they whatsapp me, I won't know who it is unless I have saved their number beforehand in my contacts.

Finally, I prefer giving out my PIN rather than an IM username, I find it's more consistant - Every PIN is the same length and format, while IM usernames vary from names to random numbers and letters punctuated with symbols.
    09-29-13 01:04 PM
    Most of that stuff is BB10-exclusive and won't convince anyone of anything.

Thank you. Without xplatform BBM voice and video, there is nothing to woo anyone with. You need to sign of for yet another account and your pin is not tied to your account and will change if you reinstall the app (wtf).
    09-29-13 01:09 PM
    What I meant was that with BBM you can send someone an invite through their PIN and they can accept or deny like facebook. So I can manage my BBM contacts separately from my regular contacts. With Whatsapp if I give someone my phone number and they whatsapp me, I won't know who it is unless I have saved their number beforehand in my contacts.

Finally, I prefer giving out my PIN rather than an IM username, I find it's more consistant - Every PIN is the same length and format, while IM usernames vary from names to random numbers and letters punctuated with symbols.
    I really don't care how hard you people try to make it look like WhatsApp is bad, when it actually does exactly what it is designed to do - replace your SMS client. If someone has your Phone Number they can text you and there is nothing you can do about it. WhatsApp is nothing but an SMS/MMS replacement. It is not an IM network with User Names, Statuses, and crap like that. They are not the same type of service. People use WhatsApp because it basically replaces texting in situations where texting would be too expensive, and like an SMS app, it uses your address book to match up your contacts. If someone sends you messages and you don't want them to, you block them - the same way you can block them on your phone (via a Blocking Mode) or through your carrier (if possible). All this B.S. about not wanting people to know you're ignoring them... Please give me a break.

No one cares about whether WhatsApp uses phone numbers. Those people do not care about PINs. PINs are nothing more than user names that no one can remember, Lol, which makes it look kind of sloppy (and it's why they have the Blackberry ID system now).

If they cared about that stuff, they'd be using Traditional IM networks where approval is required - and many already ARE supplementing services like WhatsApp with services like Skype.

They can ALREADY use Skype for this, and require others to request being added before they can IM, Call, or Video Call you. Skype has 250M users. WhatsApp 300M. Trust me, if anyone is looking for what supposed benefit you get out of BBM, they are far more likely to go Skype than BBM.
    Bsbudd and solitude1984 like this.
    09-29-13 04:03 PM
    true, bbm AMD whatsapp cater to different groups. whatsapp has added options though(like sending videos,location,pictures,voice notes) and has added estatus changes bit un essence remains ThE same texto message service. what bbm should be worried about is services like kik and line which offer more features than bbm will at launch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    09-29-13 04:32 PM
    true, bbm AMD whatsapp cater to different groups. whatsapp has added options though(like sending videos,location,pictures,voice notes) and has added estatus changes bit un essence remains ThE same texto message service. what bbm should be worried about is services like kik and line which offer more features than bbm will at launch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    WhatsApp added that cause that's what an MMS client allows. SMS/MMS also supports delivery reports.

09-29-13 09:05 PM
    I have tried to skype with my friends in LA on the other side of the globe & it takes a lot of data bandwidth. My local telco could only support voice via Skype. Video call was too crappy.

Then I've all tried BBM Video call with my friends in Toronto & the quality was great. No lag & smooth. Not sure why but I definitely can accept the BBM quality & not skype.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 11:48 AM
44 12