I was talking to a friend today who insists that BBM Voice uses his calling minutes and not his data. That makes no sense to me and seems very unlikely. I don't use the voice feature frequently (I don't make voice calls a lot either) so I can't say for sure.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other? Is this something that could be different from carrier to carrier, or is it set by BlackBerry?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    04-24-14 05:06 AM
    Quiet weird, i use BBM voice all the time, maybe it has something to do with your friend's plan. but BBM voice shouldn't mess with the calling minutes.
    04-24-14 07:13 AM
    I don't know that it's possible for it to use the minutes.

Right now I am in Central America and didn't buy a local sim. I have mobile networks switched off and have been making bbm voice calls to friends in the UK and Canada by connecting to wifi.

I can't see how it's possible for it to use minutes when I don't have a sim in at all.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 07:30 AM
    Lol, did he look serious?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 02:39 PM
    Lol, did he look serious?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, he did. Lol.

He said that basically what he was told was that BBM Voice "hijacks" the phone and uses the minutes. It sounded a little unlikely to me, but I figured I'd change with the CrackBerry experts here to find out for sure.

04-25-14 08:04 PM
    Yes, he did. Lol.

He said that basically what he was told was that BBM Voice "hijacks" the phone and uses the minutes. It sounded a little unlikely to me, but I figured I'd change with the CrackBerry experts here to find out for sure.

Was in Colombia from 11th till 20th and used BBM Voice and Video the whole week to communicate with my parents. Phone was set onto airplane mode with wifi turned on since I boarded the plane to leave for Colombia and was set off airplane mode when I landed at home again. So as far as I know it shouldn't be using any calling minutes. Also, I use a prepaid sim card.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 08:09 PM
    Of course it doesn't use use credit or minutes from your sim, no question about it.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 09:39 AM
    Certain carriers do charge for certain features like Mobile Hotspot for instance. I can't imagine that BBM Voice is charged for BT any carrier. If he really wants to know he should contact the carrier and check it out.

My guess in this case is he screwed his minutes on a girl or something without noticing how much he called her.
    04-26-14 10:00 AM
    Certain carriers do charge for certain features like Mobile Hotspot for instance. I can't imagine that BBM Voice is charged for BT any carrier. If he really wants to know he should contact the carrier and check it out.

My guess in this case is he screwed his minutes on a girl or something without noticing how much he called her.
    That is kinda impossible to charge for BBM voice.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 10:11 AM
    That is kinda impossible to charge for BBM voice.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it's impossible. Some carriers do charge for mobile hotspot even though it is a feature built into the OS.

As for the BBM voice, I agree it is highly unlikely that it is using carrier minutes. I can, however, see why carriers would want to charge for it. I no longer need any long distance minutes. I just use BBM voice to contact friends and family outside my local calling area. With BBM now on all platforms if my friends or family don't already have it I can easily get them to download it.

04-26-14 10:37 AM