Just throwing it out there, and for the sake of long winded ramblings ill just bullet point a few things i've been thinking about. What does teamcrackberry think? yay? nay? insane? cool? could work?.. Anywhere here I go -

So in this fictional scenario BBM breaks away from BlackBerry and this is what possibilities could be on offer from that:
    • A lightweight platform with app integration and support for third patries
    • Secure communication system
    • low - mid range devices, not necessarilarly cheap because the quality is bad but becasue building a ceap device that is good may become viable
    • BBM Channels as a built in client for essentially every social service available, RSS, News feeds, blog feeds, etc etc
    • BBID integration that stored and synced all device content in BlackBerrys secure cloud space
    • utilise BB compression tech and advanced EDGE for developing markets to offer faster connections where 3g isnt yet deployed or out of reach for customers and better yet control that cost (I don't know if BB can use their network for this without co operation from the cellular providers? but still a thought!)
    • plan for features and services to be easily implimented such as 'wallet' type financinal services, a market place where users can become officially verified an operate a 'shop' through BBM Channels (arts, crafts, botique style business etc)

well the list could go on.. Because dreams are free this would be a BBM OS that could be produced for cheap to offer developing AND developed markets a handset that isn't business or efficiency driven (efficiency as is in 'get more done'), but is geared to offer consumers a device that can do all the things they need while being efficient about doing them (this efficiency aspect applies to network/cloud/infrastructure etc, not how the user can save more time by multitasking etc).

When you take into consideration some of the things that are going on in tech right now, and I'm talking about the planning for world internet by Mark Z & Co, the app vs platform availability issues, the need for a consolidation of some (most) services, the need for cloud computing to be more than just file storage (consumer space) and overall what I believe to be the big issue of rapid tech advancement vs average consumer adoption (given that a large number of premium smartphone users probably use less than 10% of the devices capability, hell, I've met many who still don't know how to use gmail on a desktop let alone use the GS4 or iPh in their pocket to take a photo and send it to someone).. anyway take just those few things and the many more issues that are most certainly out there, and there could possibly be a good case for a device that is pieced together based on (but not limited to) the list above.

EG:
    Here in my hand I have a device that is very affordable, which uses BBM Channels to send and deliver my instagram, Facebook, Twitter, soundcloud, google+, and virtually any content feed from any service. I can also use it to manage my finances and pay for things because it's virtually as secure as the secret to the meaning of life! All my content and information is locked down so I don't even need to worry about ever backing it up or, it getting stolen. And when I'm in areas where I don't have access to advanced networks I can still access everything relatively quick and easily because the back-end systems play real nice with both advanced and less advanced networks. And one of the best things is I can run this on the smell of an oily rag should I really need to! I can even call people and don't have to worry about running out of 'minutes' because I get unlimited voice calling over data, by the way also means I can call friends internationally without getting slapped with a huge bill at the end!

"But what about the heavy things like music, videos, apps etc? how do you use all that?" - Good Sir once there were these things called 'tablets' and for the life of me I couldn't really figure out how to use mine to it's maximum or It just might have been that I was asking too much from it from the start. Anyway, now my tablet has found its place as my ultimate media/dedicated app device and it all makes so much more sense to me! ....

Well, that kind of turned into the long winded rambling that I was trying to avoid....! but dreams are free, aye
    09-06-13 10:50 PM
    Problem as I see it, with the proliferation of cell phones, good question of how a stand alone device would fare. People and phones are trending towards integration more than separation.
    09-06-13 11:02 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry....enjoy
    09-06-13 11:05 PM
    Problem as I see it, with the proliferation of cell phones, good question of how a stand alone device would fare. People and phones are trending towards integration more than separation.
    Good point, separation wasn't the idea I had in mind in that respect. The motivation of my daydream was based on consolidation of things on a larger scale and BBM acting as a stand alone OS, almost like a portal in a sense that instead of an app being downloaded to the device, the service integrates to BBM (on an OS level) that can be deployed for a low cost which arguably is where consumer, more specifically first time buyers, habits are moving (cheap option = acceptable) at least in this region I can say that it's becoming apparent in a retail environment.

Of course in this alternate society phones would strip down a bit less and tablets, after evolving slightly would move to be the primary media/app device for most people and by evolving I mean having a more centered focus as opposed to all-round-utility kind of thing.

Btw all of which is only my opinion! Just an outside the box way of me looking at how various different parts could move together.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 12:03 AM