Hey - does anyone know if Blackberry is going to make a way for us to use BBM on our desktops. Mobile first is great! But I would love to seamlessly move to the desktop when I sit down in front of my computer.
    Tom689 likes this.
    09-21-13 09:17 AM
    Once this happens, I guess Skype will become obsolete... Of course, Video Calls have to be included.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 11:51 AM
    Once this happens, I guess Skype will become obsolete...

Posted via CB10
    Really? Why will Skype all of a sudden become obsolete just because of BBM? What does BBM do that Skype does not?
    09-21-13 11:52 AM
    Really? Why will Skype all of a sudden become obsolete just because of BBM? What does BBM do that Skype does not?
    BBM is a way superior instant messanger up to date. Short messages are the only true push ones. Guess you are aware what does this mean for battery live. Most of the time BBM Audio/Video Calls are smoother than Skype, especially on low bandwidth and bad connections.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 11:57 AM
    Hope BBM will add audio calls to mobile and landlines (out calls) in near future, the same as Skype does. This is one of the better ways to cash in (free) BBM services (instead of ads).

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 12:04 PM
    OP I think they're already working on that. I'm not sure where I read it but they're main focus for now is making BBM cross platform.
    09-21-13 12:35 PM
    I'd love BBM on Windows.
    09-21-13 12:38 PM
    Hey - does anyone know if Blackberry is going to make a way for us to use BBM on our desktops. Mobile first is great! But I would love to seamlessly move to the desktop when I sit down in front of my computer.
    BBRY is working on desktop software as a new desktop OS so I'm sure they will incorporate it into that.

Zed 10 - 10.2.0.1047. In your face VZW
    09-21-13 03:23 PM
    I would love to see BBM on the Desktop.
    09-21-13 04:30 PM
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I was just thinking - there is a way to get it there if they are not willing to do it themselves. I have the Android player Bluestacks on my PC. I could always load BBM into that Android environment. What do you think?? I will try when they release the production version.
    09-21-13 08:28 PM
    Once this happens, I guess Skype will become obsolete... Of course, Video Calls have to be included.

Posted via CB10
    Skype will not become obsolete. It comes pre-installed on all pcs, will be on the new Xbox, has a huge user base, is the top video chatting app period, and 'Skyping' is basically the de-facto term for video chatting. If Skype is going down then it's going to take a lot more time and it's not going to be because of BBM going desktop (which is unlikely)

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:25 AM
    How about BlackBerry focuses on getting BBM onto phones first.

Posted via CB10
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    09-22-13 01:38 AM
    Skype will not become obsolete. It comes pre-installed on all pcs, will be on the new Xbox, has a huge user base, is the top video chatting app period, and 'Skyping' is basically the de-facto term for video chatting. If Skype is going down then it's going to take a lot more time and it's not going to be because of BBM going desktop (which is unlikely)

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry was the de-facto term for smartphones 4 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-22-13 10:08 AM
    BlackBerry was the de-facto term for smartphones 4 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    Yea and thanks to lazy management and failing to adapt to the market, iPhone And Galaxy now is. The only thing that might be able to take down Skype is hangouts but at this point Google+ isn't popular enough for that to happen. So what's your point?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 12:55 PM
    Announced today the the Asia BlackBerry Jam. Desktop software BBM

09-26-13 03:01 AM
    Just looks like BBM Bridge to Desktop. I think it needs to be a full desktop program for it to work well a d compete with the likes of Skype. If BBM on the PlayBook Is any indication of how it will work on the desktop, then we're in for a lot of complaints about performance, missing features, etc. Do it right, please!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 06:04 AM
    Announced today the the Asia BlackBerry Jam. Desktop software BBM

"I had a session with Chris Smith, the Vice President of Application Platform at BlackBerry, and asked him about availability for BBM from the desktop like we saw in the morning keynote. In exact words “no plans” to which I said “so was it just a proof of concept?” and his words “not even a proof of concept”. Ultimately Chris wanted to make it clear that what we say today was just a demo of how capable the USB Host feature can be and for developers to take that and run with it." -
    See more at: NotAnalog.com
    09-26-13 01:29 PM
    ^ Pathetic.
    09-26-13 01:39 PM
    Sorry but this is a fail. BBM desktop needs to be it's own entity. Not tied to If you have a BB 10 device.

Sent from, My Motorola side view pager. 4-5683-8
    09-26-13 01:41 PM
    Sorry but this is a fail. BBM desktop needs to be it's own entity. Not tied to If you have a BB 10 device.
    Somewhat agree. I think if BBM on the desktop is Bridge like in nature it will work fine for people who have Link installed and sync their phone to the PC. It would be the first step in allowing for a native Windows application.
    steve stein1 likes this.
    09-26-13 01:56 PM
    I will take this for now
    But agree BBM desktop should be it own entity. I don't mind logging in though

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:25 PM
    Bridge is a code-word for "It's a lot of trouble getting the synchronization issues worked out for multiple devices on a single account so we just hooked up what we have to another device Playbook style."

It's pretty backwards to expect your user to touch or to physically hook up a mobile device to another device. That's what the cloud was invented for. Nobody really wants to hook stuff up anymore.
    09-28-13 04:39 PM
    Cross platform BBM has a big problem that will make it fail, blackberry makes us have a different bbm ID on each device we own, so my friends need to know if I'm on z10, my nexus or some other device to get me. On skype I can be signed in on multiple devices and wherever I am the message gets to me.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 08:22 PM
    Same as iMessage. BBM is already antiquated.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 10:07 PM
    That's the problems with the legacy tech they have. If we had made a clear jump to BB10/BBID and ditched the NOC/BES/BIS/BBOS altogether such problem would not happen.

But they must support legacy systems for a while. There is nothing they can do about it right now.

I agree, something more akin to iMessage/Skype would be a much better solution, but "bridging" will work fine for me till they can do that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by diegonei; 10-03-13 at 08:27 PM.
    09-30-13 05:23 AM
28 12