I was always under the impression that BBM didn't use any data. After being close to or over the limit on my monthly data last couple of months, I did some digging and realized that while messaging through BBM may not use data, BBM Channels certainly do. I was subscribed to a couple of gif channels, and loading up all those images every time I opened the channel was using a lot of data. I was going through 50MB on a good day. BBM has become the biggest data user on my Z10. I guess the point of this post is to give people a heads up since to my knowledge BlackBerry failed to do so when it introduced BBM Channels.

Posted from Xperia Tablet Z via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-05-14 08:11 AM
    BBM does use data.... Just messaging, it isn't much. Using Voice, Video or Channels can increase that quite a bit.
    jjparra12 and stlabrat like this.
    02-05-14 08:29 AM
    It's always used data. The consumption has just always been negligible unless you join groups or channels that post a lot of pics.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    02-05-14 07:16 PM
    I always knew that BBM voice and video use data just for some reason didn't clue in about channels. Anyways, point is to give people a heads up if they're subscribed to picture and gif channels to keep an eye on your data if you don't get a lot of it for each month. I went through my 1GB in no time.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10 via CB10
    02-06-14 07:07 AM
    I always knew that BBM voice and video use data just for some reason didn't clue in about channels. Anyways, point is to give people a heads up if they're subscribed to picture and gif channels to keep an eye on your data if you don't get a lot of it for each month. I went through my 1GB in no time.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10 via CB10
    I really don't understand these newer 250MB data plans that some carriers are offering these days.... To have a plan that small you need a "meter" like app in your tool bar letting you know when you are "empty".
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-06-14 07:30 AM
    I was under the impression that on legacy BBM used no data from your plan. Now on BB10 it's a different story.
    02-06-14 07:41 AM