With recent news from BlackBerry on directional changes, I wonder if the BBM cross platform initiative has been put on hold?

Any changes to the business that might include patents and licensing could impede the roll out of BBM.

Would anyone here have a clearer picture on BBM's future?
    08-18-13 05:17 PM
    Your guess is as good as anyone else's.
    08-18-13 05:21 PM
    Samsung has started advertising BBM as coming soon here is South Africa, so I doubt the plan is on hold. I'm expecting it this week

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 05:28 PM
    Why would they pause a project that they announced to the public?
    Especially, for something that most likely isn't happening anytime soon?

Posted from my Red Zed
    08-18-13 06:33 PM
    Why would they pause a project that they announced to the public?
    Especially, for something that most likely isn't happening anytime soon?

Posted from my Red Zed
    Not sure I understand the second sentence of your comment.

But if you're asking simply why would BB pause a project already announced, I think their track record speaks for itself on that subject.

However consider that if they are shopping around all or part of their portfolio, a potential buyer could be an entity that already has a messaging platform. Thus it could be in that entity's best interest not to release BBM in it's current state.

I for one would be very pleased at a full on roll out of BBM, but it has been awfully quiet on the software front in BlackBerry land and it is the middle of August.
    08-18-13 07:08 PM
    Samsung has started advertising BBM as coming soon here is South Africa, so I doubt the plan is on hold. I'm expecting it this week

Posted via CB10
    What makes you think it'll be this week? I'd love for it to be released this week so I can cancel my unlimited texting plan. I don't like Whatsapp.

JayZ10
    08-18-13 07:41 PM
    Not sure I understand the second sentence of your comment.

But if you're asking simply why would BB pause a project already announced, I think their track record speaks for itself on that subject.

However consider that if they are shopping around all or part of their portfolio, a potential buyer could be an entity that already has a messaging platform. Thus it could be in that entity's best interest not to release BBM in it's current state.

I for one would be very pleased at a full on roll out of BBM, but it has been awfully quiet on the software front in BlackBerry land and it is the middle of August.
    BlackBerry is always quiet, and my second sentence is saying that nothing is going to happen to BlackBerry anytime soon.
    BlackBerry just reiterated what it has been saying for the past year, except this time it was in the form of a press release.
    08-18-13 07:59 PM
    BlackBerry is always quiet, and my second sentence is saying that nothing is going to happen to BlackBerry anytime soon.
    BlackBerry just reiterated what it has been saying for the past year, except this time it was in the form of a press release.
    Oh...ok.
    08-18-13 08:21 PM
    From what I know, there is no actual change in plans. Android BBM was aimed for "later this summer" and some signs hinted sometime september. Samsung has been reported advertising BBM already in South Africa.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    08-18-13 09:05 PM
    they have until September 20th at midnight.
    08-18-13 09:23 PM
    Yes....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    08-19-13 02:32 AM
    This week is just a feeling I have, the adverts I saw were on TV and during the English Premier League's first weekend which is prime time TV. I don't feel like Samsung would start advertising like this if the release was not imminent. They would rather advertise something more relevant. But again this week is just my opinion and maybe wishful thinking
    08-19-13 04:25 AM
    the sooner the better, they need this.
    Craig Perkel likes this.
    08-19-13 08:33 AM