Based on Whatsapp's and Kik's track record, it would appear so.
    And just so we're looking at the entire record, this is also a part of it:

Unfortunately, WhatsApp is less than perfect when it comes to issues of privacy and security. In 2011, the app came under scrutiny when researchers found a security hole that left user accounts vulnerable. Until August 2012, messages were sent in unencrypted plain-text format. Currently WhatsApp support staff claim that messages are encrypted; however, they have not specified what type of cryptographic method is used. According to one blogger, WhatsApp tried to implement some level of cryptography in 2012, but researchers quickly found that they were using a broken system of RC4 ciphers. In addition, researchers found that anyone can hack into a user’s account by logging in with the MD5 hash of the reversed IMEI number.
    09-24-13 01:22 PM
    ^^ to add to that. When whatsapp first released on bb10 they had contact issues and had to re-release to fix the bugs. I'll give them credit though, it was a quick turn around - like a couple days if I remember correctly.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 03:51 PM
    They are back in Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kBerry+Limited

Along with a heap load of fake apps. Seriously Google...
    The fake apps will keep coming. I didn't think they were the thing causing the problem though? Once the official App is there, the fakes won't bother anymore.
    09-24-13 10:54 PM
    The fake apps will keep coming. I didn't think they were the thing causing the problem though? Once the official App is there, the fakes won't bother anymore.
    The fakes will continue until they can be stopped faster and makes it more trouble than worth. I'm sure they have an automated process to flood the server with new crap apps. There will be hundreds of thousands of downloads even after the initial millions. So I don't see it happening in the near term unless extra action to prevent it. ie, prevent all applicants with BlackBerry and RIM in name under human review prior to release to app store. They call up Waterloo, "hey, did you just submit your app... no? ok let us know when you do."

If only Play had something like "Built for BlackBerry" designation that you knew it wasn't going to be malware.
    09-25-13 01:02 AM
    They are back in Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kBerry+Limited

Along with a heap load of fake apps. Seriously Google...
    Instagram has no issues: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Instagram&c=apps

Twitter has no issues, despite a metric ton of 3rd party Twitter apps in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Twitter&c=apps

All these fake Hotmail apps did not stop Microsoft from putting their first party app on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Hotmail&c=apps

Or their Xbox Live apps: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=xbox&c=apps

Nor did it stop Yahoo! from launching or updating their Flickr app: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=flickr&c=apps

I can go on and on, but the nature of an app store with so many apps is that there are tons of apps that use the same keywords or even similar names that are there, but as you can see even in instances where the 1st party app was released far behind those third party apps. They still show up above them in generic searches . Xbox music has been out for less than 2-3 weeks but it has already shot up to the top of the search results for "Xbox" above apps that have been on the play store for a long time. The same would have happened with BBM, due to downloads and ratings.

The only people who are complaining or even worrying about fake apps are the people on this forum. I doubt that's even a factor to Blackberry. I know you guys really WISH it was the fake apps keeping BBM off the Android Play Store, but that is not the case. I apologize...

Just stop worrying about the fake apps. It's petty, and getting a bit ridiculous.
    09-25-13 08:33 AM
    And just so we're looking at the entire record, this is also a part of it:
    We'd also have to factor in the latest fiasco, the multitude of outages, and other issues that BB has had as well.

Consumers generally don't care about what you linked on a wide scale. They just don't, cause most people have no reason to care about whether their messages are encrypted or not since they don't say anything that they wouldn't say in a crowded room, anyways...

However, they do care about reliability and feature parity across platforms.

I think it's important to make a distinction between:

1. Talking points on Crackberry.com that defenders use to bash competing services (Security and stuff like that) and,
    2. Things that consumers actually care about, generally speaking (and judging by the device sales and OS adoption rates... well... you finish the thought)

Trying to have a discussion here often feels like trying to converse with a politician :-)
    09-25-13 08:39 AM
    Instagram has no issues: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Instagram&c=apps

Twitter has no issues, despite a metric ton of 3rd party Twitter apps in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Twitter&c=apps

All these fake Hotmail apps did not stop Microsoft from putting their first party app on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Hotmail&c=apps

Or their Xbox Live apps: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=xbox&c=apps

Nor did it stop Yahoo! from launching or updating their Flickr app: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=flickr&c=apps

I can go on and on, but the nature of an app store with so many apps is that there are tons of apps that use the same keywords or even similar names that are there, but as you can see even in instances where the 1st party app was released far behind those third party apps. They still show up above them in generic searches . Xbox music has been out for less than 2-3 weeks but it has already shot up to the top of the search results for "Xbox" above apps that have been on the play store for a long time. The same would have happened with BBM, due to downloads and ratings.

The only people who are complaining or even worrying about fake apps are the people on this forum. I doubt that's even a factor to Blackberry. I know you guys really WISH it was the fake apps keeping BBM off the Android Play Store, but that is not the case. I apologize...

Just stop worrying about the fake apps. It's petty, and getting a bit ridiculous.
    I, for one, am really beginning to love the fake app nonsense. It's making BB10 users actually peek outside the gate. Maybe, just maybe, more people will see how other platforms work. We can only benefit from this.

I hope.
    luisoman2000 likes this.
    09-25-13 08:42 AM
    We'd also have to factor in the latest fiasco, the multitude of outages, and other issues that BB has had as well.
    Fair enough. That can't be denied as it's part of their record.

Consumers generally don't care about what you linked on a wide scale. They just don't, cause most people have no reason to care about whether their messages are encrypted or not since they don't say anything that they wouldn't say in a crowded room, anyways...

However, they do care about reliability and feature parity across platforms.
    WhatsApp Messenger Reportedly Down For Some Users (Update: Restored) | TruTower ...since we're looking at the apps holistically from what "consumers care about."

I think it's important to make a distinction between:

1. Talking points on Crackberry.com that defenders use to bash competing services (Security and stuff like that) and,
    2. Things that consumers actually care about, generally speaking (and judging by the device sales and OS adoption rates... well... you finish the thought)
    Fair enough, again. Since Android sits at 64%, it can be argued that 64% of smartphone owners don't care about the privacy of their personal data. This was evident and funny to me recently when AC published a post saying how carrier IQ had been detected on some new AT&T phone. The commenters were outraged, and I was thinking, "hold on...you're using the Google platform/services, and are complaining about your privacy being encroached?"
    09-25-13 08:58 AM
    Fair enough. That can't be denied as it's part of their record.

WhatsApp Messenger Reportedly Down For Some Users (Update: Restored) | TruTower ...since we're looking at the apps holistically from what "consumers care about."

Fair enough, again. Since Android sits at 64%, it can be argued that 64% of smartphone owners don't care about the privacy of their personal data. This was evident and funny to me recently when AC published a post saying how carrier IQ had been detected on some new AT&T phone. The commenters were outraged, and I was thinking, "hold on...you're using the Google platform/services, and are complaining about your privacy being encroached?"
    To be fair, most android users don't really know what they are getting into when buying android. Those who do care about their privacy and use android usually disable google services(even the play store in some cases). Most are looking for the customization and apps and are, to an extent, willing to "trade" some of their privacy(in exchange for said apps and customization and features). Whatsapp may be insecure and all, but it does its job so people use it. As for bbm, from what ive read the released version(on iphone) is pretty basic. I can understand that blackberry will add features on upcoming updates, but if the app doesn't offer at least the same basic services as its competitors (Picture sharing, voice notes, mute notifications, changing notification tone to name a few) it wont stand a chance.
    09-25-13 03:38 PM
    To be fair, most android users don't really know what they are getting into when buying android. Those who do care about their privacy and use android usually disable google services(even the play store in some cases). Most are looking for the customization and apps and are, to an extent, willing to "trade" some of their privacy(in exchange for said apps and customization and features). Whatsapp may be insecure and all, but it does its job so people use it. As for bbm, from what ive read the released version(on iphone) is pretty basic. I can understand that blackberry will add features on upcoming updates, but if the app doesn't offer at least the same basic services as its competitors (Picture sharing, voice notes, mute notifications, changing notification tone to name a few) it wont stand a chance.
    To be fair, most people do not know what they're getting into when they get into Blackberry as well. I've heard it stated many, many times that BIS is secure (and that PIN and BBM on BIS are secure) when blackberry's very own documentation says it isn't (or is just protected by the underlying network infrastructure just like Android).

Blackberry is "secureable". It is not "secure". Android users can be forgiven for just not knowing or caring. Blackberry users (to speak in generalities) actively pursue incorrect thinking.
    09-25-13 05:03 PM
    when is the funeral fo BBRY?
    09-25-13 05:21 PM
    when is the funeral fo BBRY?
    Tonight! But you're not invited though.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 04:01 AM
    Tonight! But you're not invited though.

Posted via CB10
    It was tonight, but it's been postponed. News at 11..
    raino likes this.
    09-27-13 04:04 AM
    It was tonight, but it's been postponed. News at 11..
    Lol. Like everything else, huh? So wrong
    09-27-13 11:03 AM
    Do you think @BBM will announce availability for next week?
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    09-27-13 03:45 PM
    What is it with Blackberry? No updates at all on when BBM4ALL will re-launch?
    09-27-13 05:57 PM
    They don't even know!
    09-27-13 08:56 PM
    Because it just don't works! It don't works from first launch. I means not android BBM.

On iOS you have a "great" realization - you've got push notification, then open client... and client trying to load this messages. Some of them missing.
    09-29-13 02:25 AM
    like I said in another thread, they should blacklist all the devices that installed the leak.
    OK calm down these people were just excited to get their hands on bbm. They are the ones who will be going around bragging and telling everyone to download

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 07:04 PM
    What an absolute mess!

Pathetic, can't see many people sticking around after this, myself included. I look like an absolute fool now having sold people on the idea of XBBM and they screw it up like this?

Meh!

Via CB10
    09-30-13 12:50 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/discove...-group-856129/

this is the reason why bbm failed.
    10-01-13 03:16 PM
    WRONG. This is why it shall succeed.
    10-01-13 04:44 PM
247 ... 8910