Just read Bla1ze's post about BlackBerry's plan to allow users to register by phone number but keep the option for PINs (for those of us who don't like giving our personal phone numbers). That's a nice feature but will it be enough for user retention and help grow the service? On the thread comments someone mentioned the possibility of using SMS/MMS within BBM once it's opened up, which I think would be a good idea.

Once they open up number registration, I have a few long distance friends that I'd like to invite to BBM for group discussions revolving around getting together at the cottage, etc. I think the number registration will make it easy for me to add them on BBM (which I prefer using for groups). Anyone else think it'll help? I'm not imagining crazy growth, but could help with retention and small growth. Cheers.
    06-21-16 07:01 PM
    I think the number registration will make it easy for me to add them on BBM (which I prefer using for groups).
    I've never understood what's hard about PIN registration.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-21-16 09:57 PM
    I don't think it's hard, just foreign to most people who are used to being asked for a phone number. Facebook, Google, WhatsApp, et al

Path of least resistance is the path for most, just the way it is.
    06-21-16 11:07 PM
    I don't think it's hard, just foreign to most people who are used to being asked for a phone number. Facebook, Google, WhatsApp, et al

Path of least resistance is the path for most, just the way it is.
    A friend explained there a lot of people in Asian / Pacific countries don't have email addresses, but do have mobile phones -- so it's not that using a PIN is "hard" (sheesh), it's the lack of an email addresses.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-22-16 10:02 AM
    [QUOTE=David Tyler;12478370]I've never understood what's hard about PIN registration.

I've never understood what's so hard about using IM apps that depend on your mobile number.
    07-19-16 12:11 AM
    Is someone claiming it is..?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-19-16 07:29 AM
    A friend explained there a lot of people in Asian / Pacific countries don't have email addresses, but do have mobile phones -- so it's not that using a PIN is "hard" (sheesh), it's the lack of an email addresses.

Not that people in Asia Pacific do not have an email address. We do, just that most people have multiple of it and usually don't read them.

Do you have all the email addresses of all your friends & contacts? Perhaps you only have one email of each of your contacts & they may have 10 but only check 1.

This being the case makes using email to discover your contacts on BBM useless.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-19-16 10:08 AM
    I've never understood what's hard about PIN registration.

Frankly I have never understood the difficulty about using PIN too. Just that if I were to give my PIN to my friends who don't use a BlackBerry phone they will look blank at me and don't know what to do.

Zero out of 10 contacts I invite via email or SMS to use BBM respond. They need me to be in front of them to show them how to register & add me. Then the next question is where are all my other friends? I already have their phone numbers how come they are not on BBM.

2 days later their BBM is uuninstalled .

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-19-16 10:13 AM