According to Reuters....

"BBM FOR DESKTOPS

Chen, who has been meeting with BlackBerry clients, said another item that may be on the agenda is bringing the company's popular BlackBerry Messenger service, known as BBM, from mobile devices onto desktop computers.

Such a move, Chen said, would allow employees of big companies and government agencies to go mobile on group chats started on their PCs, without skipping a beat.

"We are certainly going to take a very serious look at putting BBM on the desktop," he said."

Oh, that would be so nice. It's the catalyst needed to spur the BBM subscribership. That would really give WhatsApp some serious competition.
    03-28-14 07:37 AM
    Lots of folks I know have been wanting this a long time. Really expand the Potentials.
    03-28-14 07:49 AM
    I would love to imagine bbm on the desktop allowing screen sharing to multiple contacts for enterprise users. I could see features like that convincing companies to remain with or switch to or upgrade to bb10. Features that cater to enterprise is where blackberry has to focus. They are never going to win over the hipsters and tweens, and they shouldn't try.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:09 AM
    This will be excellent !

Posted from my Z30 via CB10 app
    03-28-14 08:15 AM
    I thought BlackBerry already took a look at BBM for desktop and was doing something about it already.

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.2174
    03-28-14 08:19 AM
    I thought BlackBerry already took a look at BBM for desktop and was doing something about it already.

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.2174
    Obviously if that was so, this won't make news.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:39 AM
    Nice! I am really looking forward to this.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.2234
    03-28-14 09:09 AM
    Based on Blackberry's software development skills for Windows (BB Link) i'd like to see BBM.com as the gateway to BBM via the "desktop", this would allow one to access BBM from:

* Any desktop without installing software
    * Any tablet (Playbook!)
    * TVs
    * Consoles

a) This would give BBM potential to expand on channels, going head to head with Twitter.
    b) Skype is already partly accessible via the browser
    1magine, wincyUt, schmeat and 1 others like this.
    03-28-14 09:14 AM
    Fantastic!!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:21 AM
    Based on Blackberry's software development skills for Windows (BB Link) i'd like to see BBM.com as the gateway to BBM via the "desktop", this would allow one to access BBM from:

* Any tablet (Playbook!)
    * TVs
    * Consoles

a) This would give BBM potential to expand on channels, going head to head with Twitter.
    Truly excellent idea. Much better than an application that would need so much security built on top of it. Running in a secure HTTPS:// browser makes the most sense and instantly available across all platform and all devices. You could BBM from XBOX, Wii, Playstaion a blue ray player...
    03-28-14 09:32 AM

* Any tablet (Playbook!)
    * TVs
    * Consoles

I agree that there should be a web-based version that ties into BBM Channels, but Enterprise customers are going to want an application on their desktop and if they have to develop an application for eBBM then they might as well release it for consumers as well.
    03-28-14 09:39 AM
    Enterprise Users do not necessarily need a desktop app. Kronos is a perfect example. Company's have their own extranets and intra-net that they can have BB install a BB.com type server on. I can absolutely see law firms, brokerage houses and the like installing a BB server to run a 'work-side' BBM. For most enterprise users, BBM is not even available as a 'workside' option.
    03-28-14 09:46 AM
    Web version should come first, it has more potential of going viral faster, then whatever for enterprise.

Channels & "Stickers" aren't very enterprise.
    Whatsapp... the $19 billion dollar app isn't very enterprise.

BBM should remain consumer centric to succeed globally, OR... we could rely on the enterprise customers who buy a couple of thousand handsets per quarter coupled with the rest of the consumers which equate to only a mere 1.1 million users.
    03-28-14 09:46 AM
    will this make bbm work with the same bbid on 2 different devices?
    03-28-14 09:52 AM
    I assume this means abandoning the one-mobile-device per logged-in account restriction that BBM has right now assuming that you want a user to be able to see the same messages on a PC as their mobile device. The synchronization issues are always a problem.
    03-28-14 09:58 AM
    I think this 1 device 1 BBID issue could be solved if they used a "master BBID" with linked slaves where info could be displayed on all but still using a 1 for 1 relationship per device. If so, it would eat into Skype's dominance on the desktop. Skype is so laggy on mobile that I could see BBM make some real inroads here.
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    03-28-14 10:15 AM
    will this make bbm work with the same bbid on 2 different devices?
    BBM already works with same BBID on two or more devices but not simultaneously. I have the same BBID on my Z10 and Z30 but I have to "switch bbm" when interchanging the phones.
    03-28-14 10:18 AM
    Be very careful when you use the words "soon" and "very likely".

I want to see BBM on the desktop as much as anybody else. But "We are certainly going to take a very serious look at putting BBM on the desktop" does not equate to "soon". I'd hate to see if in a year BBM hasn't yet made it to desktops, people start posting "BBRY lied to us again!" when in all actuality it wasn't the case.
    03-28-14 10:48 AM
    Be very careful when you use the words "soon" and "very likely".

I want to see BBM on the desktop as much as anybody else. But "We are certainly going to take a very serious look at putting BBM on the desktop" does not equate to "soon". I'd hate to see if in a year BBM hasn't yet made it to desktops, people start posting "BBRY lied to us again!" when in all actuality it wasn't the case.
    Do you honestly think that they will be be taking a very serious look at putting BBM on the desktop if that decision wasn't going to be highly prioritized? It's known knowledge that BlackBerry has different "variations" of the desktop BBM running internally in the company. John Chen has already inferred that there are justifiable reasons to have BBM on desktop. Going by his management style, as was evident in today's financial reports, he is very quick and decisive.
    Finally, there is no time frame attached to the word "soon", so any one who wants to do otherwise should go ahead and suit themselves.
    03-28-14 11:14 AM
    BBM already works with same BBID on two or more devices but not simultaneously. I have the same BBID on my Z10 and Z30 but I have to "switch bbm" when interchanging the phones.
    That's what I meant, it'll be a hassle doing that every time you want to bbm in you laptop rather than your device and vice versa

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:45 AM
    Don't get your hopes up. This is probably going to be an Enterprise solution given how he met with clients to talk about this and BlackBerry Fuse has shown up (for about a fraction of a second) in an BlackBerry Enterprise promo video.

Another thing that Chen said is "I don’t think giving software away is the right strategy going forward."
    04-02-14 06:07 PM