Hello everyone,

I've been trying to figure out why my BBM backup is not working as it should, but couldn't find any solution.
    I've already checked the "save chat history" box, but when I am looking up the backup size it's only telling me 933kb, although the system information is telling me that BBM is taking up around 400mb.
    The last time I did an iOS upgrade I've lost all my contacts and history because of this.
    So I was thinking well okay, then let's start clean and maybe the next time it'll work.
    But it seems nothing has changed and since I'd like to upgrade to iOS 9 I do not want to lose everything again.
    I've also deleted the whole iPhone backup and created a new one - without success.

Maybe someone can help me with this issue, since the BBM support seems to be not responding. Last year I was told to contact apple support regarding this matter, but isn't BB creating BBM...?

Thank you very much in advance!
    10-20-15 06:32 AM
    so this is BBM on iOS?
    10-20-15 09:35 AM
    Yes, this is BBM for iOS - sorry for not mentioning in title, but I thought it'd be posted in the "BBM on iOS" forum.
    10-20-15 10:02 AM
    So a few things:

- 400MB being used by iOS - this includes things in the temp files - from files you receive from people. Conversations won't take up that much space, typically anywhere between 500KB to 5MB generally depending on the size of them

- Chat backup - since you're on iOS - do you use iCloud? If you do, make sure it is logged in and that BBM can access it for application permissions. When you save it and back up, your chats should be saved there. If you do that you could technically log into other devices with the same iCloud and have the chats restored

- Losing contacts - if you are losing contacts on upgrade I'd report a problem (Left menu, report a problem), that sounds like a bother.
    10-21-15 08:42 AM
    Thank you for the few things.

I use iCloud, but it only shows the stated 933kb backup size. That's my problem, shouldn't it show around 300mb - since in my case the app is around 100mb the other 300mb must be photos, files, whatever...?
    What do you exactly mean by "make sure it is logged in and that BBM can access it for application permissions"?
    In BBM I have checked "save chat history", but unfortunately it doesn't seem to save that - only my contacts, at least that's what I experienced the last time.
    And I've reported the problem several times to BB, but never got an answer...
    10-21-15 09:37 AM
    Thank you for the few things.

I use iCloud, but it only shows the stated 933kb backup size. That's my problem, shouldn't it show around 300mb - since in my case the app is around 100mb the other 300mb must be photos, files, whatever...?
    What do you exactly mean by "make sure it is logged in and that BBM can access it for application permissions"?
    In BBM I have checked "save chat history", but unfortunately it doesn't seem to save that - only my contacts, at least that's what I experienced the last time.
    And I've reported the problem several times to BB, but never got an answer...
    "Save chats" - that's all it is saving - just the text database - it cannot store all of your pictures that you transfer. For example, if you were to "Copy chat" within a conversation, and then past it in an email - anywhere you received a picture it would just say "Picture Received", not copy the actual picture to the email.

"Logged in" - to your iCloud account. And if you were to go to iCloud settings, BBM should appear there as an app that can be backed up.

Contacts is something that is tied to your ID, so you won't have to back them up. They should switch with you from device to device but if they get removed on you by accident, that's a problem.

And reporting a problem doesn't mean that BBM will contact you back, it's submitting these issues so that they can fix it for another update.
    10-21-15 11:10 AM