I was under the impression they were stored on some BlackBerry server as long as someone remained in the group.

However the other night I test drove a Z30, and while BBM showed the group, it only showed a couple of the photos. This coupled with the fact that my mom joined the group late and she doesn't show the same count of photos the rest of us do, I'm starting to think they are only maintained on the devices that got them at the time they were members of the group.

Any definitive insight would be helpful in confirming how the group file storage actually works behind the scenes.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-08-14 05:30 PM
    I was under the impression they were stored on some BlackBerry server as long as someone remained in the group.

However the other night I test drove a Z30, and while BBM showed the group, it only showed a couple of the photos. This coupled with the fact that my mom joined the group late and she doesn't show the same count of photos the rest of us do, I'm starting to think they are only maintained on the devices that got them at the time they were members of the group.

Any definitive insight would be helpful in confirming how the group file storage actually works behind the scenes.

I believe if you tap your picture icon then "Albums," scroll around and you'll find the BBM photos grouped together.
    03-08-14 07:49 PM
    I believe if you tap your picture icon then "Albums," scroll around and you'll find the BBM photos grouped together.
    My question wasn't where in the BBM app I could find the photos, but where are they stored behind the scenes?

Are those photos stored on a BlackBerry server somewhere and the devices access them remotely? Or do they only exist in the storage of the devices that were a part of the group at the time the pictures were posted?

03-08-14 09:18 PM
    My question wasn't where in the BBM app I could find the photos, but where are they stored behind the scenes?

Are those photos stored on a BlackBerry server somewhere and the devices access them remotely? Or do they only exist in the storage of the devices that were a part of the group at the time the pictures were posted?

Yeahh i got some similar case with this one... I want to keep the original description of the bbm group pictures sharing file that stored on my mobile.. However when i do to saving the pictures file from bbm group .. The files name always get changed automatically to default mobile naming file (hello.jpg to IMGxxx.jpg).. Does anyone knows where is the bbm group pictures shared files located on android or ios file folder . i tried to search it through the folders but not get the clue where it is been stored. Thkss n need wonderful feedback about this.
    03-08-14 10:31 PM
    It's all saved on devices only. Kinda like peer to peer network

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 11:20 PM
    It's all saved on devices only. Kinda like peer to peer network

Posted via CB10
    That seems to fit what I am seeing. Thank you for confirming that.

The next logical question is how does one back fill the pictures to a recent addition to the group so they can see everything ever posted to the group? If there isn't a way to do that then there will always be some sort of discrepancy between users who joined at different dates.

03-10-14 06:39 AM
    I have been trying to figure that out. I can't find any solution to it. However I sent a message to BBM through the contact developer option in blackberry world. All u do is find the BBM app in bb world and then choose option contact developer in more options.
    Let them know your problem and hopefully enough people will message them and they will release an update.

Posted from my Awesome Z10!
    03-10-14 09:50 AM

Disclaimer: Kids don't try this at home. Certain substances may or may not have been used to ponder such a question! (just messin' with you, HF!)
    Ahh..but it is a good question!

Being I may be on above said substances... I'd say those photos are just floating around in virtual space, at least the ones that the NSA throws back. Ponder that!!
    03-10-14 02:26 PM
    You can't. If none of the members had the photos updated it's gone. I had the same issue with me and the wife. Shucks they did it this way but I can see why

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 09:42 PM
    I'm not sure I am understanding how the pictures are stored. In the past it seemed that every picture I would view in a group would automatically be downloaded to my phone. But that does not happen any longer. As a test I posted a pic to a group then immediately deleted the picture from my phone. The picture was still in the group pics and received credits.

I will also post pictures directly from the twitter app and those are not saved to my phone. I think the pics are stored on a server and it appears to rotate pictures out based on an 80 pic limit.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 12:32 PM
    I think BlackBerry should clarify how groups work in regards to the peer to peer aspect.

I'm going to get a new phone soon and will "lose" all of the pictures I have saved under my group now. That was be ok if it didn't seem like to me and everyone else that groups were like a mini-Facebook sharing mechanisms where the pictures are stored on some server.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    03-24-14 08:02 PM
    I think BlackBerry should clarify how groups work in regards to the peer to peer aspect.

I'm going to get a new phone soon and will "lose" all of the pictures I have saved under my group now. That was be ok if it didn't seem like to me and everyone else that groups were like a mini-Facebook sharing mechanisms where the pictures are stored on some server.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    Any progress?? I also would like to know where these pictures are stored. We're about to shutdown an old group, but would like to keep all the pics. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this..

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 11:52 AM
    They are on any devices that are in the group. Save them all individually then close it and you will have them

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 06:19 PM
    They are on any devices that are in the group. Save them all individually then close it and you will have them

Posted via CB10
    Is your advice to manually save each picture ?? This is quite an old group, so that is not a suitable option given there are hundreds of pictures.
    Last edited by gpktom; 04-19-14 at 04:19 PM.
    04-19-14 12:57 PM
    Keep the group? Pictures should stay if you get new device

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 07:34 PM
    Keep the group? Pictures should stay if you get new device

Posted via CB10
    Well we are closing the group down, so keeping it isn't a possibility. The group no longer has an active admin due to numerous device changes over the years.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 02:26 AM
    What if..
    The new addition member to the group wanted to see the picture that wasn't on his phone. And another (older) member add a comment to that particular picture.
    Will the new comment in any ways, bumped the picture so that the new member could see it?

I'm not able to try this due to there's no additional new member on my bbm group. But just maybe some of you guys try it out or suggest and older member of a group to do a comment.

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    04-20-14 03:09 AM
    If you get a new device you need to add yourself and transfer admin rights. Than you control it. If you do t have an admin i think the group is stuck than. That's what I had to do... Think of it as this. I make a group. I put some photos in it etc. My phone has all of the data. You join. Now your phone queries my phone to see what's in the group. Third person joins. They see who is online in group and queries for data. If I now format my phone and you 2 are offline it will not have anyone to download the data from so it sits at syncing. When someone comes online it downloads from them. If you were offline when the 3 person joined I won't see them until someone with an updated group comes online to give both of us the update.

Hope that helps. It sucks when that happends.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 09:53 AM
    Anyone know when they switched rom saving the media on the device to in the cloud? Was it with BB10. I know for me I noticed when I made the switch to my z30 from a 9780. Not a fan of this new bbm. Too many things have changed. Went from being intuitive and functional to clunky and glitchy. Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 12:09 PM
    Any progress?? I also would like to know where these pictures are stored. We're about to shutdown an old group, but would like to keep all the pics. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this..

Posted via CB10
    I have not found anything definitive as to where the pictures are stored. I was able to "delete" them on my device w/o affecting any other group members. Also my mom seems to inconsistently get pictures from the group, most likely because she has her phone off most of the time and misses some window of peer based replication as pictures are added.

I am starting to think that Groups were only designed to be near "real time" multi-person BBM sessions, and not any sort of long term storage and sharing mechanism.
    04-20-14 05:09 PM
    Well they are definitely on the device itself. Perhaps in the cache somewhere. Pulling out my memory card has no impact on seeing the group pics with the antenna off, so they must be local to some degree.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 06:14 AM