Please can somebody provide some info why bbm is better than Google hangouts, WhatsApp and Facebook as I am struggling to convince some people. As I don't use the other three I can't comment.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:00 AM
    until BBM Channels is officially released, you can't compare BBM to Google Hangouts or Facebook
    10-22-13 05:03 AM
    until BBM Channels is officially released, you can't compare BBM to Google Hangouts or Facebook
    I am purely talking about the message aspects as bbm channels won't alter those.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:24 AM
    It has delievered and read status, it also has recent updates feature which i really loved it.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    10-22-13 06:20 AM
    It has delievered and read status, it also has recent updates feature which i really loved it.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    I agree with this for Google hangouts but Facebook gives read status.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 06:25 AM
    Better security and more reliable than whatsapp to deliver that message

You don't have to worry about the tos about Google selling your info.

Hangouts is a stupid name.
    Does hangouts work on BlackBerry devices? If not, they should help you connect better with them by downloading a free app than buying a cheap arse android phone.

I would like to add that battery life would be better but I have no idea for ios or android. Whatsapp isn't exactly battery friendly either (on BlackBerry devices - friend complained about it so much on his q10 that he uninstalled it).

Better design. At least I think so.

Doesn't require your phone number and not as invasive as whatsapp is.
    10-22-13 06:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    True but Facebook seems flakier to me...messages are slow.

I just tell people that if they want a response from me, they had better use bbm.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 06:27 AM
    One thing that is a little caveat (to me atleast), is the screen real estate within the BBM app. The chat bubbles are damn big!
    10-22-13 08:22 AM
    I am not sure but I really think BlackBerry tries to screw up on purpose. They had the chance to kill all instance messaging and VOIP apps if they had done a proper lunch.
    True that .... I would love nothing more than have BBM but it's been 14h already for me and no joy. Tried with several emails also.

BBM status are definitely superior to Facebook, the latter also being quite unreliable.

I like Hangouts because it's very reliable when delivering. A read status wouldn't hurt but at the same time it would be difficult to see what that would be (given that messages are also displayed anyway in notification area).

In the meantime I look the fool in front of many of my friends also which I had convinced to look out for and install BBM for Android ... and now they also wait and wait. This is no way to have an app launched.
    10-22-13 10:18 AM
    Hangouts does have a read message status and you can tell if someone has their phone on also. You can call any phone in North America for free in the new calling feature and I can also use my computer at work to chat so I am not on my phone. Great to see BBM cross-platform now but needs more features.
    10-24-13 07:23 PM
    Used both and BBM IMO is much better. Runs smoother, better layout. Easier to find people. Like it don't go off phone # as well.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    10-24-13 08:08 PM
    I like the D/R status in BBM. Also, BBM seems more reliable at delivering messages. I us egoogle Hangouts with my wife, and although the Blackberry app has gotten better since OS7, it's still a little glitchy.

Now that BBM is available for iOS and Android, I'm using it more to communicate with my family, and using Google Talk/Hangouts less.

@dunaway - Posted with TMO Q10 via CB10
    10-24-13 11:12 PM

You don't have to worry about the tos about Google selling your info.
    Re-read BBM TOS very carefully.
    10-24-13 11:18 PM
    Plenty has been said here already. But one small factor that can make a huge difference is if you are a social butterfly. Always meeting new people. You need to control who gets added and who gets kicked out. And do you really want to be giving out phone numbers or adding people to facebook. Just send PIN invites. Proof is in all the people posting their PINs to social media. I like status updates. I know how people are doing without the need to ask them or I can strike up a conversation if I see a status I need to comment about. I hope to see BBM video as a feature for XBBM soon. That will hurt competition. And channels too. Much to look forward to as well.
    10-24-13 11:28 PM
    Plenty has been said here already. But one small factor that can make a huge difference is if you are a social butterfly. Always meeting new people. You need to control who gets added and who gets kicked out. And do you really want to be giving out phone numbers or adding people to facebook. Just send PIN invites. Proof is in all the people posting their PINs to social media. I like status updates. I know how people are doing without the need to ask them or I can strike up a conversation if I see a status I need to comment about. I hope to see BBM video as a feature for XBBM soon. That will hurt competition. And channels too. Much to look forward to as well.
    PINs are definitely a nice feature.

I don't like the implementation on Android BBM though. I came from a time that PINs street ironclad. No changes!
    10-24-13 11:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Facebook has Read Status, and so does Google Hangouts, Samsung ChatOn, and a number of other messengers.
    10-25-13 08:12 AM
    I like the D/R status in BBM. Also, BBM seems more reliable at delivering messages. I us egoogle Hangouts with my wife, and although the Blackberry app has gotten better since OS7, it's still a little glitchy.

Now that BBM is available for iOS and Android, I'm using it more to communicate with my family, and using Google Talk/Hangouts less.

@dunaway - Posted with TMO Q10 via CB10
    I've found it to be an absolutely embarrassment when it comes to delivering messages, but to each their own.

We've already moved off of it due to the issues with message delivery...

Have posted a number of screen shots. The #1 reason why we went to BBM was because it was touted as being so reliable, but we've basically been forced to use other solutions anyways because while our messages get sent, then often do not get delivered for 2-5 hours, if ever.

Have had issues on FB, but not like this.

We've moved mostly to ChatOn, which while not known as much is kind of amazing in that it can function as both a Messaging Client and as a quasi-replacement for something like Path or Twitter for your circle of friends.

I impatiently waited for BBM, but what they delivered to Android/iOS users doesn't even feel like the same service I used on my 9780. Since I don't have any friends with BB devices, the need to use this is practically NIL. Other services are much better. I really, really, REALLY hate it when a Messaging app refuses to deliver messages for hours at a time. I'd rather chat from a command line with reliable delivery than use the prettiest looking app that fails to achieve that...
    10-25-13 08:15 AM
    I've found it to be an absolutely embarrassment when it comes to delivering messages, but to each their own.

We've already moved off of it due to the issues with message delivery...

Have posted a number of screen shots. The #1 reason why we went to BBM was because it was touted as being so reliable, but we've basically been forced to use other solutions anyways because while our messages get sent, then often do not get delivered for 2-5 hours, if ever.

Have had issues on FB, but not like this.

We've moved mostly to ChatOn, which while not known as much is kind of amazing in that it can function as both a Messaging Client and as a quasi-replacement for something like Path or Twitter for your circle of friends.

I impatiently waited for BBM, but what they delivered to Android/iOS users doesn't even feel like the same service I used on my 9780. Since I don't have any friends with BB devices, the need to use this is practically NIL. Other services are much better. I really, really, REALLY hate it when a Messaging app refuses to deliver messages for hours at a time. I'd rather chat from a command line with reliable delivery than use the prettiest looking app that fails to achieve that...
    I haven't found it to be quite so bad as that, but it's definitely not as bulletproof as BB to BB. Too bad, I hope they sort it out.
    10-25-13 08:25 AM
    I haven't found it to be quite so bad as that, but it's definitely not as bulletproof as BB to BB. Too bad, I hope they sort it out.
    It was happening like 10 times a day.

I had a test session yesterday and got a text from my coach that they were running half an hour earlier (I planned to be there a half an hour before my group had a warm up). When I sent the BBM to someone to pick my up half an hour earlier, it didn't deliver.

I had to use Facebook Chat (at that point I sent it via FB, Email, SMS, Google Talk, everything I could cause.... well it's the most ballin' sh*t you can do, and it was an emergency).

In any case, BBM is the only one that failed to deliver the message. It did come through some hours later, though. The night before it was failing to deliver left and right. One message didn't go through until like 9 hours after I sent it. Others took 2-5 hours to deliver. It's all been fairly consistent. It was to the point where I'd be staring at the screen after pressing send just to make sure it was delivering (or not), and then having past the whole message in another app when it didn't (only to have it duplicate when it decided to send it later)... Just could not deal with that kind of user experience.

I think the Cross Platform service must run on different infrastructure with a bridge to connecto the the Blackberry NOC to facilitate sending messages to/from Blackberry devices... OR something, cause the reliability isn't even on the same level that I've experience on the Blackberries that I've used BBM on. Not even in the same realm, and probably the most inconsistent delivery pattern that I've ever experienced in an IM app.

I'm aware that it's early in the release, but I cannot afford to beta test products with real world use nor can I afford to miss things just to stick with it, and if I'm going to use something else I cannot justify keeping a service that doesn't allow you to log off running at all times on my phone... Skype got that right with the log out option...
    10-25-13 08:33 AM
    You can do that on other messengers. Not all of them force you to add people.

Hangouts lets you restrict who can hangout with you.

On Facebook you aren't forced to friend any and everyone.

On ChatOn you can hide your Phone Number and Samsung Account from Search, preventing yourself from being added or auto-added by anyone. It will simply tell them that the Number or Account cannot be found in Search.

Off of those allow you to block people.

Spam only matters to people who spam their pins everywhere and regret it later. Most of us do not do that. We invite the people we want to communicate with and then Remove or Block the others. This whole "Security" thing in defense of one messenger over another is completely overblown.

There is no way to hide your BBID from Search and if you get an invite from someone you don't want to chat with the only option to stop the invite spam is to simply block them, which is no different than on any other messenger service.

Additionally, the PIN can change. If the app messes up and you're forced to Clear Data or Reinstall it, your PIN will change, which completely defeats the purpose of having a PIN to begin with.
    10-25-13 08:38 AM
    My BlackBerry to my wife's iPhone is almost instant in the tests I've done.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 08:44 AM
    I had to use Facebook Chat (at that point I sent it via FB, Email, SMS, Google Talk, everything I could cause.... well it's the most ballin' sh*t you can do, and it was an emergency).
    Wouldn't it have been easier to simply call the person? After all, it was an emergency.
    10-25-13 08:54 AM
    Wouldn't it have been easier to simply call the person? After all, it was an emergency.
    He was in a meeting... Should I call him during a meeting?

He had already switched his schedule to accommodate it. I didn't need to talk, only inform. BBM didn't allow me to do that.

"Pick me up half an hour earlier." Should not require a phone call.

You are trying to go around the issue by telling me what I should have done otherwise. I'm a bit confused by the point if your response. Especially on a forum that that raves about how reliable BBM was during then aftermath of 9/11.......

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-25-13 08:55 AM
    He was in a meeting... Should I call him during a meeting?

He had already switched his schedule to accommodate it. I didn't need to talk, only inform. BBM didn't allow me to do that.

"Pick me up half an hour earlier." Should not require a phone call.

You are trying to go around the issue by telling me what I should have done otherwise. I'm a bit confused by the point if your response. Especially on a forum that that raves about how reliable BBM was during then aftermath of 9/11.......

I don't doubt that you were having issues. I have a Z10 and BBM seems to work perfectly with iphone users in the country, not so well for those further afield. The worst is an international friend with a Galaxy S III - not reliable at all. Of course, when I BBM other BB users it's rock solid. I hope they can replicate that.
    10-25-13 09:06 AM
    I don't doubt that you were having issues. I have a Z10 and BBM seems to work perfectly with iphone users in the country, not so well for those further afield. The worst is an international friend with a Galaxy S III - not reliable at all. Of course, when I BBM other BB users it's rock solid. I hope they can replicate that.
    Yes here is one instance of it happening.

I had like 20 screenshots but I don't think any proof is enough for some people here. The last reply wasn't aimed at you at all, just the post I quoted.

10-25-13 09:11 AM
34 12