Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Visual Connection - 4 pics 1 word - Native Game

Visual Connections, 4 Pictures 1 Word Game

BlackBerry World - Visual Connection

Price: $0.99 FREE!!!

Description:
    Simple, addictive game: The 4 pictures shown have something in common. It is your job to figure out what that is!

** 400 Levels
    ** Addictive, challenging
    ** Hours of entertainment
    ** Fun for all ages
    ** Earn/Buy coins for hints and level skips
    ** Specifically for BlackBerry, optimized for PlayBook, Z10 and Q10

****ALL UPDATES WILL BE FREE**** And all updates will be added to this app, no "Visual Connection: More Words", "Visual Connection: The Lost Levels", "Visual Connection: Part Deux", "Visual Connection: With A Vengeance", "2 Visual 2 Connection", etc, etc...

Developer Notes:
    This was game was a joint effort by myself and another developer (SCrApps). We are both independent developers involved in developing communities such as OSBBx and participate in BlackBerry's official sample projects. Unlike other types of 4pic 1word games, we decided to use the native keyboard to give support to the upcoming Q10 device as well as letting players make use of the beautiful typing experience on BB10. The Z10 and Q10 versions are written in native Cascades code (no Android porting). So it should run much better than the competition. And the PlayBook version is written in WebWorks. Also the game requires no silly permissions, internet access, annoying advertisements, etc. Hope you enjoy!

Screens:
    Q10:

Z10:
    , , ,

Change Log:
    v1.0: Initial Release
    v1.1: Bug Fixes
    v1.2: Addition of 25 levels (225 total), UI tweaks, Bug fixes
    v1.3: Addition of 75 levels (300 total), Guest Mode added
    v1.4: Addition of 100 levels (400 total), UI tweaks, Bug fixes (mostly for Q10)
    v1.5: Added Support for BBOS devices
    v1.6: UI Tweaks and game balancing changes (5 coins instead of 3)
    Last edited by Brian Scheirer; 03-18-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan (Built for BlackBerry Approved) | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles
    Thanked by 2:
    rudie75 (06-15-2014),  SCrid2000 (03-20-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Best game out right now, can't wait to cop my Z10 and play this. All I need now is a pokerstars, skype, instagram, nba gametime, and a cibc bank app & i'll be set
    CrackBerry Master

EDIT : looks like a knock off and not the original one
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2840F011

Out of curiosity, and to help me figure out which to go with, can you tell us what the main differences are with your game and a sideloaded 4 Pics 1 Word, and the recent Pics and Words?

Price is one. Internet connection is another. Adds is another. I can see from the screenshots the layout is a little different, and there is no limit in th letters you can use.

Also will the game receive updates to expand the word list? Will there be any chance of Scoreloop integration or interaction?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by sf49ers View Post
    The game is named Visual Connection, yes it is the same style as 4 pics 1 word. And it's not a knockoff if the "original" game doesn't exist for BlackBerry. My app will support the Q10 much better than any other version because of my use of the native keyboard. I explained this in the first post, I hope you still give my game a shot... I'm open to feedback. Thanks.
    Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan (Built for BlackBerry Approved) | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by sf49ers View Post
    This is age old concept on which there are card games also. also so many flash or web implementations exist.
    So it is unfair to tell it a knock-off on this basis.

Only in case the photos in the app are from other similar apps then it can termed knock off.
    I have not played this game yet to know this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by KidCaboose View Post
    Out of curiosity, and to help me figure out which to go with, can you tell us what the main differences are with your game and a sideloaded 4 Pics 1 Word, and the recent Pics and Words?

Price is one. Internet connection is another. Adds is another. I can see from the screenshots the layout is a little different, and there is no limit in th letters you can use.

Also will the game receive updates to expand the word list? Will there be any chance of Scoreloop integration or interaction?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I have played all three...

Sideloading 4 pics 1 word is obviously free so thats a plus, purchase more coins for letter deletion, and has the most levels (I think over 500)

Pics and Words : cost $0.99, requires internet connection to play (seems fishy if you ask me), is an Android port, has a nice twist of revealing images one at a time, lets you choose levels in groups of 25, 250 levels total

Visual Connection: cost $0.99, don't have to side load, no internet connection required, uses native keyboard to support Q10 as well as the Z10, even though you can use any amount of letters I do say the word has X number of letters at the top of each puzzle, in app purchases for more coins, 225 levels currently.

I do plan on adding more levels, Scoreloop, and got a few other secrets in mind. All updates will be FREE. Released the game how it sits now to get feedback and gauge interest on BlackBerry 10. Honestly it was a pretty big undertaking to organize all the images, hints, levels, etc. I believe I have created a very bug free, smooth running app. I hope you'll support indie devs like myself and SCrApps who put this out for you guys. Also if you see in my blog in my signature I provide a lot of help to other developers with Cascades samples and tutorials.

Thanked by 2:
    joesworld (03-22-2013),  KidCaboose (03-20-2013) 
    bbquincar, joesworld and DJRikko like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2840F011

Quote Originally Posted by bcs925 View Post
    I have played all three...

Sideloading 4 pics 1 word is obviously free so thats a plus, purchase more coins for letter deletion, and has the most levels (I think over 500)

Pics and Words : cost $0.99, requires internet connection to play (seems fishy if you ask me), is an Android port, has a nice twist of revealing images one at a time, lets you choose levels in groups of 25, 250 levels total

Visual Connection: cost $0.99, don't have to side load, no internet connection required, uses native keyboard to support Q10 as well as the Z10, even though you can use any amount of letters I do say the word has X number of letters at the top of each puzzle, in app purchases for more coins, 225 levels currently.

I do plan on adding more levels, Scoreloop, and got a few other secrets in mind. All updates will be FREE. Released the game how it sits now to get feedback and gauge interest on BlackBerry 10. Honestly it was a pretty big undertaking to organize all the images, hints, levels, etc. I believe I have created a very bug free, smooth running app. I hope you'll support indie devs like myself and SCrApps who put this out for you guys. Also if you see in my blog in my signature I provide a lot of help to other developers with Cascades samples and tutorials.
    Uhh, you had me at Scoreloop. When this appears in the game's description, it'll be on my Z10. My Games App friends need to see my achievements! I don't know how you could challenge friends at the game, but if you could figure that out too... all I can say is woot.

Fruit Blitz still seems to be holding a dominating 1st position over the favourite lists. I think a lot of the appeal is generated from the constant challenges being issued, both to friends and openly (allowing to meet more people and make more friends). We need more games with this feature.

Posted via CB10
    bbquincar and DJRikko like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Hey Brian, I really appreciate the fact that you decided to develop a native version of this game. So yay to that Also, I read your reasoning regarding using the native keyboard, and while I agree it is great to let people experience the great keyboard, I find that part of the appeal (well for me at least) to such games is seeing the scrambled rows of letters ( usually 2 rows). Reason being, it can make the game a tad more frustrating for some if all you're left is with the keyboard and a clue to the number of letters in the word only.

Having played 4 pics 1 word, I actually appreciated the fact that the 2 rows of scrambled letters were there. Especially during the times when I feel stumped, I'd try forming different combinations of words in my head in a bid to figure out the answer. While it may sound silly, I actually prefer it like this than just the native keyboard. I believe Draw Something employed a similar 2 rows of scrambled words for the person to figure out the answer, so such a concept should be quite accessible to people. I, for one, would enjoy it if it were like that and not the native keyboard.

Having said that, I know that using the native keyboard also sort of differentiates your game from those other ones, so how about meeting each other halfway? Maybe have the ability to choose between the 2 rows of scrambled words or just the native keyboard. Perhaps you can put that in the settings or something. I can see a potential problem with accommodating that to the Q10, so perhaps make it an option for just the PlayBook and Z10? But overall, I wanna say that I appreciate the effort and enjoying the game lots. Thanks for the awesome work

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

I'd also like to mention that Brian and I are very open to any suggestions that anyone has on this game It was a lot of fun to make, and that translates into being a lot of fun for us to improve and update. So if you have any questions or suggestions, hit either of us up either by PM here on CrackBerry, or via email, or via BBM.
    In addition to scoreloop, we do plan to have some other awesome features (for example, guest mode) and to continue adding new levels.
    Thanked by 2:
    bbquincar (03-20-2013),  KidCaboose (03-20-2013) 
    bbquincar and KidCaboose like this.

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_igg View Post
    Hey Brian, I really appreciate the fact that you decided to develop a native version of this game. So yay to that Also, I read your reasoning regarding using the native keyboard, and while I agree it is great to let people experience the great keyboard, I find that part of the appeal (well for me at least) to such games is seeing the scrambled rows of letters ( usually 2 rows). Reason being, it can make the game a tad more frustrating for some if all you're left is with the keyboard and a clue to the number of letters in the word only.

Having played 4 pics 1 word, I actually appreciated the fact that the 2 rows of scrambled letters were there. Especially during the times when I feel stumped, I'd try forming different combinations of words in my head in a bid to figure out the answer. While it may sound silly, I actually prefer it like this than just the native keyboard. I believe Draw Something employed a similar 2 rows of scrambled words for the person to figure out the answer, so such a concept should be quite accessible to people. I, for one, would enjoy it if it were like that and not the native keyboard.

Having said that, I know that using the native keyboard also sort of differentiates your game from those other ones, so how about meeting each other halfway? Maybe have the ability to choose between the 2 rows of scrambled words or just the native keyboard. Perhaps you can put that in the settings or something. I can see a potential problem with accommodating that to the Q10, so perhaps make it an option for just the PlayBook and Z10? But overall, I wanna say that I appreciate the effort and enjoying the game lots. Thanks for the awesome work
    You mean like this?
    Visual Connection - 4 pics 1 word - Native Game-vcbetatest.png
    This might not be the final version of this feature, but the logic has been completed and, in one form or another, it should be in an update before too long.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 03-20-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Blurred image :D
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2840F011

Snap! That's awesome! Why did you photoshop the game images into a PlayBook, though?

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Snap! That's awesome! Why did you photoshop the game images into a PlayBook, though?Posted via CB10
    That's a PC screenshot of the PlayBook version (which, as Brian mentioned, is coded in WebWorks until Cascades is PlayBook compatible - that is, until the PlayBook gets BB10) running in the Ripple emulator What all that means is that I didn't photoshop anything except the blurs to hide the images from people who haven't reached level 171 yet lol.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2840F011

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    That's a PC screenshot of the PlayBook version (which, as Brian mentioned, is coded in WebWorks until Cascades is PlayBook compatible - that is, until the PlayBook gets BB10) running in the Ripple emulator What all that means is that I didn't photoshop anything except the blurs to hide the images from people who haven't reached level 171 yet lol.
    Ahhh. Aha! Gotcha. Is it update time yet?

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Ahhh. Aha! Gotcha. Is it update time yet?

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully soon It takes a little bit of time to implement a new feature into two different versions, but it should be soon. I'll try to remember to post here when the update is live.
    Thanked by:
    KidCaboose (03-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

You mean like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vcbetatest.png 
Views:	415 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	142679
    This might not be the final version of this feature, but the logic has been completed and, in one form or another, it should be in an update before too long.
    Wow yeah this is kinda what I had in mind Man, the update to this game will be sweet if it has that. This feature is confirmed to be in the next update right, or two updates from now?
    CrackBerry Addict

I don't have a credit card yet so I can't purchase things on World. But you said you're an indie dev, and I'm just starting out too so I'll just leave a comment for your app.

Just one thing I see is that the other game like this is somewhat, let's say, more visually appealing, than yours. So maybe some UI change might be a great update too

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by magsasaka View Post
    I don't have a credit card yet so I can't purchase things on World. But you said you're an indie dev, and I'm just starting out too so I'll just leave a comment for your app.

Just one thing I see is that the other game like this is somewhat, let's say, more visually appealing, than yours. So maybe some UI change might be a great update too

Posted via CB10
    Two indie devs actually. And Indie doesn't mean new, it just means that we're not affiliated with a large company.
    I personally love the VC UI and prefer it to any of the competition, but everyone has different tastes. If you can get us a little more detail than "the other game like this is somewhat, let's say, more visually appealing" then maybe we'll be able to change it.

Also, BlackBerry World purchases can be made via PayPal, you don't need a credit card.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

We decided to go with a native "Cascades" look rather than cartoony style like the other one. However thanks for the feedback. We have some interesting plans that should overcome your opinion of the UI pretty-ness ;-)

Posted via CB10

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2840F011

Quote Originally Posted by bcs925 View Post
    We decided to go with a native "Cascades" look rather than cartoony style like the other one. However thanks for the feedback. We have some interesting plans that should overcome your opinion of the UI pretty-ness ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Maybe a more appealing app icon then? Unless that's the look you're going for. As a consumer, the way the icon looks it's what often draws my attention from all the flotsam in BlackBerry World. When I see a pretty app icon, all button-like, rounded corners and a border... I assume there's something even prettier inside.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

The icon is being updated

Posted via CB10

KidCaboose likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Also, BlackBerry World purchases can be made via PayPal, you don't need a credit card.
    Carrier billing too right?

Question for the devs: Does purchasing it once get it on both PlayBook and Z10?

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmolineux View Post
    Carrier billing too right?

Question for the devs: Does purchasing it once get it on both PlayBook and Z10?
    Yes One purchase gets you the Z10, Q10, and PlayBook versions.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

Picked up this game today - happy to support native. Great little game.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Update finished.... hope it gets approved on BlackBerry World soon... will post what's in the update then... suspense...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast