At my job we just got microsoft exchange. My boss has asked me to add the BES plan to my AT&T account so I can sync my blackberry with the exchange server. My employer pays a portion of my phone bill, so i'm not concerned about the cost. I am, however, concerned with the amount of control i'm giving them over my PERSONAL blackberry. I'm concerned that my PERSONAL items (calendar entries, contacts, tasks, SMS text msgs, etc.) will be on the exchange server for everyone to see. If I add BES to my plan, will I be able to keep my personal stuff separate from my work stuff? Is there a way to prevent personal items from syncing with exchange? I also read that BES allows the employer to perform a "remote wipe" of the phone. Is there a way I can block that "remote wipe" feature? Can I block other features so i'm not giving up complete control of my phone and giving them access to my personal life? I'm a bit worried about this...

Also, is there a way I can send/receive work emails on my blackberry without getting BES? If so, I can sync my contacts, tasks, and calendar items using the DM and wouldnt need to be on the BES, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've been researching this stuff for 5 days and still don't have a clear picture. And my boss asked me again today if I added the BES yet. As you can imagine, i'm a little stressed about this.
    10-05-10 05:19 PM
    Who is writing the IT policy?

and is it BES or BES Express?
    10-05-10 05:21 PM
    It's generally considered a bad idea to put your personal device on your employer's BES. Once you do that, THEY (not YOU) control the device.

Read this to see what they can and cannot see.

What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection
    10-05-10 06:02 PM
    Who is writing the IT policy?

and is it BES or BES Express?
    I believe it is BES. I'm not sure who is writing the IT policy. I suspect our part-time IT crew, or maybe the president of our company? It's small company....only about 30 people.
    10-05-10 06:32 PM
    It's generally considered a bad idea to put your personal device on your employer's BES. Once you do that, THEY (not YOU) control the device.

Read this to see what they can and cannot see.

What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection
    Interesting feedback, thank you. I'll read that article and post additional questions I have.
    10-05-10 06:33 PM
    Thanks Motorcycle Mama and Fubaz for the responses. I think i've decided against the BES for the reasons Mama cited in the link. Now, I have another question regarding the separation of personal data and business data. I've started another topic at the link below. If either one of you have additional guidance for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...06#post5650506
    10-05-10 11:04 PM
    I'm in the same situation. My personal BB on company BES. Viewed IT policy in Status, shows "No disallowed applications" Details show "No policies". Not sure what that means but seems like they are leaving me on my own and I still get all the benefits of calendar syncing, email, etc.
    10-20-10 08:12 PM
    I'm in the same situation. My personal BB on company BES. Viewed IT policy in Status, shows "No disallowed applications" Details show "No policies". Not sure what that means but seems like they are leaving me on my own and I still get all the benefits of calendar syncing, email, etc.
    Read the link Motorcycle Mama posted above. It is almost never a good idea to put your personal phone on a BES. You will not be alone...
    10-21-10 06:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD