Hi All,

I just wanted to share this information.

I registered with blackberry app world with a hotmail address, to keep spam at a minimum.
    I downloaded the "who is it" app from Jared Company through app world.

Today i received a spam message on my business email address, which i never entered anywhere. The only way for them to retrieve this address would be from reading personal information from my blackberry.

I find this upsetting and find it strange that the app can reach private information stored on my blackberry.

This kind of behavior should be stated in the privacy statement of the particular app.

Greets
    Snazy and DawgMan like this.
    11-17-10 04:28 AM
    Found there little friend in Files/Device Memory/User/Home/Documents and or Audio Books. Can't remember which. It's just a automailer. Deleted the app and was still getting spam. Found this little 'flea' in the file listed above. Deleted it and never got another. I won't ever download anything from those aholes again. Let me know how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sssutanto, RandyGTL and mrskittens like this.
    11-17-10 07:18 AM
    You are not the first to report issues with this "Company" / developer. All research points to a whole lot of suspect behavior with anything JaredCo.
    11-17-10 07:31 AM
    I would think there are laws governing the transparency involving the software we potentially download. There should be a disclaimer stating our privacy could be violated. Oh well live and learn. At least I found the bug!

BB app world should be notified!

Last edited by albee 1; 11-17-10 at 07:52 AM.
    remmy00 likes this.
    11-17-10 07:49 AM
    Good info Moved to 3rd Party Apps
    11-17-10 08:00 AM
    Yup, that's a known fact.
    11-17-10 01:56 PM
    Yup, it took me at least 3 attempts to unsubscribe from their ****e spam. I have the free ICE app, because it's small and seems like a good idea. That will be all, though.
    11-17-10 02:11 PM
    This is SO annoying, many friends of mine also get really annoyed by this.
    11-17-10 02:20 PM
    I had a fishy feeling when I read about that app that only increased when it wanted to ALLOW everything. Glad I denied almost all of the permissions. Will be deleting it now.
    11-17-10 03:21 PM
    Yep, do not download anything from the Jared Company...
    11-17-10 03:46 PM
    I downloaded one of their apps (Flashlight) and when I compained that it didn't work, I was given a different version of the app for a different device. They didn't refund my money like I asked. Since it was only a dollar, I just let it go, but I definitely won't be downloading any apps from this developer either. Not to mention the spam!
    11-17-10 03:48 PM
    THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIOME THIS HAPPENED with jared company.......over the past 6motnhs ive seen alot of people post about this company getting personal info, because it happened to me too.....i got emails on my personal account even without giving them my personal email....thankfully it stopped not too long ago......but this is not the first time a complaint about JARED has come up
    11-17-10 03:55 PM
    Anyone know for sure what the file name is and where it is in the BB file structure? I have one app from them
    11-17-10 04:07 PM
    From your open Files Folder/ File Folders/Device Memory/Home/User/Documents maybe Audiobools. it looked like a link to a web address. It was highlighted in blue x x x @Jaredco. It may be lurking elsewhere. I looked in all my other folders and found nothing. Have not had any Spam since deleting it.

mrskittens likes this.
    11-17-10 04:57 PM
    Subscribing
    11-17-10 05:31 PM
    Just lovely ehh??
    Crackberry advertised the flashlight app from the Jared company for .99 and of course the unaware person that I am, I downloaded it. In lieu of the OP should we be advised to delete this download or would that not be effective to protect ourselves as in too late damage done. I did a quick search for the mentions file to no avail...So whats the next step? This is very disturbing.
    11-17-10 05:55 PM
    I found the x x x @Jaredco in my documents. DELETE!! I am running the flashlight app too. I guess I should delete it and find another one?

Should i delete this app via DM?
    Last edited by 1buda; 11-17-10 at 06:16 PM.
    11-17-10 06:13 PM
    Oh dangit, don't buy flashlight apps
    Download flashon by Shao-soft, best flashlight app AND it's free.

1buda likes this.
    11-17-10 06:16 PM
    Oh dangit, don't buy flashlight apps
    Download flashon by Shao-soft, best flashlight app AND it's free.

Thanks for the flashon info.
    11-17-10 06:43 PM
    I found the x x x @Jaredco in my documents. DELETE!! I am running the flashlight app too. I guess I should delete it and find another one?

Should i delete this app via DM?
    If you just open your video recorder and press the space bar it will toggle the best flashlight money can't buy off and on.

11-17-10 06:56 PM
    If you just open your video recorder and press the space bar it will toggle the best flashlight money can't buy off and on.

If I could thank you twice, I would. That is a great tip, especially because it also works to toggle the camera flash between Off/On/Auto.
    tomgnc likes this.
    11-17-10 07:00 PM
    Your welcome guys, whether you know it or not, most of you have gotten me out of hot water more than once! CB ROCKS!

11-17-10 07:34 PM
    And just delete the stupid Jared co app from you apps list. If it won't let you highlight it and press Menu/Delete!

11-17-10 07:36 PM
    11-17-10 07:44 PM
    Just lovely ehh??
    Crackberry advertised the flashlight app from the Jared company for .99 and of course the unaware person that I am, I downloaded it. In lieu of the OP should we be advised to delete this download or would that not be effective to protect ourselves as in too late damage done. I did a quick search for the mentions file to no avail...So whats the next step? This is very disturbing.
    Hi Elizabeth, chances are good you didn't get the bug. I think pk said they righted their evil ways for a while and I think most of us got it from the "who is it" app. If you couldn't find it in the posted area I wouldn't concern myself.

Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-17-10 08:02 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD