02-22-10 09:10 PM
    Definitely a good read. BerryReview and BBCool have also now picked up the article.
    02-23-10 01:05 PM
    that's funny. i just got 4 message from "michael" today. apparently im now subscribed to recieve "tips" from them. Yeah, I don't need those. a. that's crackberry is for and b. I don't remember subscribing to their... whatever they're calling it.
    02-23-10 01:56 PM
    Yeah I got those too, was wondering who these guys were.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 07:49 PM
    Cheapo tactics to make money:

1) being a copycat

2) threatening other copycats with patent claims that are totally bogus and obvious inventions. Seriously, launching the video recorder to turn the light on is not a novel idea by any stretch of the definition.

3) spamming existing customers with bogus and useless information
    02-23-10 08:00 PM
    So GetJar (a pay-per-download site) that I distribute trial version of the Brio Calorie Tracker at took down my app!

Here's the awesome email I got from these guys:
    ===== start email ======

Dear Developer,

Thanks for submitting Brio Camera Light v.1.2 to GetJar. Unfortunately, we've had to deactivate it at this time.

Due to:

- Unproven ownership of the patent behind this application / mobile site shortcut.
    - The Jared Company has a patent pending with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for their invention of using the video camera light as a one touch flashlight and as demonstrated in their product One Touch Flashlight (Uses Camera Light). The patent pending number for their invention is 61/254,690. We have been notified by The Jared Company’s counsel, Michael Kader
    (Barrister & Solicitor, (604) 910 -1949, [email protected]) that your application may infringe on the aforementioned pending patent, and if so, they will seek to recover from you the damages their client may suffer as a result of your application.

GetJar takes Intellectual Property protection very seriously. In order for us to reactivate this application in your behalf we will need the following information:

- Your name, title and contact details in the organization whose application you are planning to promote or
    - Proof of license, permissions, and/or rights that provide a legal basis for you to distribute this application without infringing on patent, or other intellectual property rights.

As soon as we receive this information we will reconsider your application for approval.

Sincerely,

The Get Jar Team

===== end email ======

Earl
    Last edited by eaoliver; 02-23-10 at 08:53 PM.
    02-23-10 08:47 PM
    I can see this may be a controversial discussion. However, it seems to be a legitimate topic which is of interest to smartphone application purchasers and developers. I don't see a problem so far but please keep the conversation civil, avoid egregious personal attacks, and stay within our forum rules and guidelines.
    02-23-10 09:07 PM
    The Jared company is also the maker of "BerryJoose" after i purchased the app i recieved an email from Michael Kader about a few free apps that i could download for free w links and i tried a few and the links didnt work so i sent a return email to say links not working a few min later my yahoo returned a invalid account (deamon something) unable to deliver LOL
    02-23-10 09:27 PM
    Funny, the same thing happens when I reply to emails from Nigerian kings with TEN MILLIONS US DOLLARS ONLY for me.
    02-23-10 10:05 PM
    That's one of the worst written legal letters I've ever read. Totally fake... either that or some lawyer isn't willing to pay enough to get a good secretary...
    02-23-10 11:38 PM
    Definly good read. Some people are sucha joke.

02-24-10 12:04 AM
    - Proof of license, permissions, and/or rights that provide a legal basis for you to distribute this application without infringing on patent, or other intellectual property rights.
    Yes, you need a written letter from RIM to show you have permission to use:

Backlight.enable(true);

Hopefully me posting that code doesn't violate a (non existent) patent.
    Last edited by Shao128; 02-24-10 at 09:34 AM.
    02-24-10 09:31 AM
    Great post LSphone. I could not have said it better. I think the folks over at the Jared Company should go drink some more kool-aid with their buddies over at NTP.

Earl
    02-24-10 09:43 AM
    BlackberryCool just deleted their article titled "Flashlight Wars..."
    Whats funny is Jared Co is going around threatening sites now that have this article posted, rather than try to set the record straight. Of course their isnt much they can say, they have a fake patent application and are trying to shake down other developers.

And I can almost 100% guarantee the Kaders are watching this thread. So Michael, Steven, care to comment?
    02-24-10 11:46 AM
    Of course they are watching it. Who else would have requested that be taken down?

I would like to see some comments too. It is totally obvious to anyone that has ever developed on BlackBerry that their 'invention' is obvious, trivial, and not even the first case.

Given that invoking the video camera is a nothing task (and a standard API as of 4.7), the only thing that would confuse anyone with less than 1 week of programming experience is how to keep the screen on. For those without a degree in CS, I give you my awesome code to do it:

final class CameraAliveThread extends Thread implements CameraLightResource
    {
    private static final long SLEEP_DURATION = 5000;

public void run()
    {
    try
    {
    while (true)
    {
    if (! Application.getApplication().isForeground())
    {
    EventInjector.invokeEvent(
    new EventInjector.KeyEvent(EventInjector.KeyEvent.KEY_ DOWN,
    'q', KeypadListener.STATUS_NOT_FROM_KEYPAD));
    }

try
    {
    sleep(SLEEP_DURATION);
    }
    catch (InterruptedException e) { }
    }
    }
    catch (Throwable e)
    {
    SimpleDialog.alert(
    CameraLightResources.getString(ERROR_INJECTING_KEY S));

}
    }
    }

Pretty high tech eh? It's not even as simple as it could be! The rest of the code to compose the entire app that I submitted to App World (Brio Camera Light) took 1 hour to write. I spent more time in Photoshop making the images than writing code.

Earl
    Last edited by eaoliver; 02-24-10 at 12:37 PM.
    lindros2 likes this.
    02-24-10 12:19 PM
    And here's the high tech code for starting the video camera prior to 4.7:

public class CameraUtils
    {
    /**
    * Starts the video camera.
    * @return Returns true iff the video camera was started.
    */
    public static boolean startVideoCamera(boolean bKeepCameraOn, boolean bStartRecording)
    {
    final int nModuleHandle =
    CodeModuleManager.getModuleHandle("net_rim_bb_vide orecorder");

ApplicationDescriptor pAD =
    CodeModuleManager.getApplicationDescriptors(nModul eHandle)[0];

if (pAD == null) return false;

ApplicationDescriptor pAD2 = new ApplicationDescriptor(pAD, null);

if (pAD2 == null) return false;

try
    {
    ApplicationManager.getApplicationManager().runAppl ication(pAD2, true);

return true;
    }
    catch (ApplicationManagerException e) { }

return false;
    }
    }

I leave it to the good CrackBerry readers to comment on whether this nothing, worthless code that any BlackBerry programmer can write in 5 minutes is an 'invention'.

Earl
    Last edited by eaoliver; 02-24-10 at 12:44 PM.
    02-24-10 12:42 PM
    I'm sure RIM could just squash it, since the app is nothing more than a shortcut to your video camera. A shortcut which the phone already provides anyway (via clicking the Video Camera shortcut). To even claim their flashlight app is an 'app' to begin with is a stretch. It's nothing more than a shortcut to an app already designed, built, and owned, by RIM. I'm sure RIM wouldn't take too kindly to some rinky-dink outfit trying to patent something RIM already owns.

At best, The Jared Co could copyright the icon used in their launcher. That's about it.
    02-24-10 02:00 PM
    Yeah I got those too, was wondering who these guys were.

Correction, I got 7 messages from them. Some had gone to my junk mail. I'll have to read the fine print next time I buy software from here. I didn't notice anything allowing the developer to add you to their email lists. I am usually very careful to opt out of those things. I called to ask crackberry but they weren't sure.
    02-24-10 02:49 PM
    Good thing I haven't bought anything from them. I don't like supporting crap like that. Rim should sue them for selling access to the video camera light
    02-24-10 02:56 PM
    There's a link to unsubscribe from future "suggestions" from their lawyer. I didn't know that was going to happen either and was annoyed, not so much to get one but a bunch at once? Whatever. I did notice when I installed the free trial of "THE Flashlight" (older version) that it tried to send an email from my device without asking first. THAT annoyed me. The latest version prompts to set all permissions to Allow first, so the firewall would not have prompted if it sent an unauthorized email out, I forgot about that at the time and am going into the settings right now to disallow it from accessing my device. It sets itself to be able to access everything and also send data out, don't quite like that honestly.
    02-24-10 02:57 PM
    It sets itself to be able to access everything and also send data out, don't quite like that honestly.
    I wouldn't either. That alone makes it a definite no-go for installation.
    02-24-10 03:08 PM
    QuickLaunch has a flashlight function as you all know and has been also threatened with the Jaredcrap.
    02-24-10 05:27 PM
    It's nothing more than a shortcut to an app already designed, built, and owned, by RIM. I'm sure RIM wouldn't take too kindly to some rinky-dink outfit trying to patent something RIM already owns.
    +1! I don't know what all of this posturing is about. If anything, this "Patent" belongs to RIM. There is already a video camera flashlight shortcut made available by them. It's just the shut down timer and/or screen cover I see that would be in question, but it isn't even mentioned. From what I am reading here, it seems the equivalent of asking for a patent on "walking your dog". A meaningless task... With even more meaningless effort to get it done.

I got a copy of it and immediately deleted it due to the self-serving branding all over it. Between all of the branding, and the emails (I get them too), they seem to be full of themselves. Why make so much trouble over a flashlight app.

I use Microfire (by LS phone) which was also provided for free WITHOUT all of this branding garbage. Works well. IMO, they are just disgruntled that others give this out for free, $.99, or already combined as a "side function" within another application, and no one is looking at them anymore.

Many blessings are wished upon Jared.....
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 02-24-10 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Spell Check.
    02-24-10 05:31 PM
    Turn Your BlackBerry's Camera Flash and LED into a Customized Flashlight with FREE FlashOn App | CrackBerry.com

Crackberry couldn't have posted this article at a better time.
    02-24-10 06:01 PM
    I think the folks running CrackBerry have a lot of class ;-)

Earl
    02-24-10 09:23 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD