I just replaced my frame and I thought I would walk everyone through it since it is kind of a pain in the ****. I am going to skip the dis-assembly part as there are already loads of videos on how to do that. Let's get started shall we?

The first thing you are going to need is to ORDER A NEW TOP COVER when you order your frame. I ordered all my parts from True Supplier.The old cover is melted on and cannot be reattached to the new frame properly, resulting in a loose fit.

Tools: You will need a Torx driver and plastic pry tool (normally included with the new frame). You will also need a butane soldering iron like the one pictured below.

Ok. Once you have it all apart, there are a few pieces you need to move over from the old frame. The old top cover has to be removed by prying and breaking the bonds (which is ugly) in order to move the mesh screen for the mic over to the new top cover, as well as moving a few sticky foam pads over.

As you can see in this pic, I have marked the important parts with my crappy photoshop skillz.

The blue arrow shows the mesh screen which is stuck to the cover. Gently pry it away and put in on the new top cover. It should stick to the new top cover well enough to hold.
    The foam tape strip (highlighted in green) also needs to be moved over. It can carefully be peeled off, but it tends to separate and leave the adhesive on the old cover.
    Lastly, I have marked the plastic retaining tabs in red(ish) boxes that you will later have to melt to secure the cover to the new frame.

There is one more foam pad (that hold the mesh grill down) that you have to move to the new frame. I have marked it in this picture.

Once you do all that, fit the new top cover to the new frame. You can see below the little tabs you are going to have to melt next.

Here is a pic of the little tabs melted down with the soldering iron.

After that, I added a tiny bit of crazy glue to make it stronger.

Then reassemble everything and you are done. Took me about 15 minutes.
    Last edited by GibMcFragger; 01-16-10 at 01:46 PM.
    12-03-09 11:40 PM
    Awesome dude! Thanks!
    12-03-09 11:59 PM
    Pictures of the red bezel on the phone?!
    12-04-09 12:02 AM
    Hehehe ya ya. I will take a pic tomorrow when I have better light.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 12:33 AM
    Awesome, thanks for the tips! I have that exact Snap on soldering gun.
    12-04-09 12:42 AM
    Awesome, thanks for the tips! I have that exact Snap on soldering gun.
    It works great, just make sure you set it to the lowest possible temp setting.....those tabs are TINY. When you melt them down, you can melt a tiny bit of the frame around the holes they go through so that they bond together. A little dab of crazy glue on each one just adds strength.

Here is a sucktastic pic to tide you guys over until I can take a better one. I forgot to mention that I also replaced the bottom cover with a blank one.

12-04-09 01:09 AM
    Looks like there's a gap at the top.. Any pics of the top part and where light bleeds from

12-04-09 03:17 AM
    Just like the original frame, there is a slight gap. There is no light bleed though, The only light bleed is from the same places it bled on the stock frame. Anyways. Who cares? Its a phone, not a $15k Rolex.

Last edited by GibMcFragger; 12-04-09 at 09:32 AM.
    12-04-09 09:29 AM
    Nice step by step!
    12-04-09 02:51 PM
    Niceee.. definately looking forward to this on my Bold 9700
    12-04-09 03:50 PM
    good job zerkee!
    12-04-09 04:26 PM
    good job zerkee!
    i'll do yours next.......for a price. *grin*

12-04-09 05:52 PM
    just wondering, would you be able to just super glue the tabs onto the bezel or do the tabs hit something upon resembling?
    12-04-09 07:09 PM
    Where did you get the colored replacement bezel from?

And nice job! I think I may have to try that!
    12-04-09 07:39 PM
    Great work...this should be stuck!

12-04-09 08:59 PM
    do you have to melt it or can you just super glue it on?
    12-05-09 01:26 AM
    The tabs have to be melted down, that's why they stick up - so there is enough material to melt down. They will be in the way when reassembling if you leave them.

I got my parts from Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories & PDA Accessories wholesale Co.

12-05-09 02:00 AM
    Thanks so much for this! My matte black frame. Came today and I had no clue how to attach the new top cover.

Was a bit afraid to solder the plastic but it was dead simple and turned out perfect!! Thank you!

12-05-09 02:40 AM
    alright, thanks for the info and step by step! will try this once i get my parts, its been over 3 weeks already :/
    12-05-09 10:40 AM
    Thanks so much for this! My matte black frame. Came today and I had no clue how to attach the new top cover.

Was a bit afraid to solder the plastic but it was dead simple and turned out perfect!! Thank you!

No problem! Glad I could make it easier for someone else. It's not bad if you know how to handle a soldering iron and some crazy glue. I found it harder to move that stupid sticky strip of foam tape over without destroying it than I did melting the tabs.

In fact, for those who don't have access to a soldering iron, I am sure heating up a small piece of metal like a paper clip with a lighter would have the same effect. The tabs are tiny and don't need much heat to melt down.
    You are basically just melting them down to hold the cover still while you strengthen it with crazy glue anyways.

*Note: The new cover will fix the problem with the mute and lock buttons being too easy to press. They are VERY stiff with the new cover, at least on mine.
    12-05-09 10:43 AM
    A better pic.

12-05-09 11:47 AM
    well im liking it.
    12-05-09 11:56 AM
    does this void the warranty?
    12-05-09 02:41 PM
    Technically yes, because you tend to destroy the little warranty sticker on the screw, but I am sure they would still warranty it if you put the old frame back on and there is no physical/water damage.

12-05-09 03:03 PM
    Looks sweet! Nice job

12-05-09 04:01 PM
147 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD