This is The first time I have ever written a review.

A Noobs review of the Platinum Series Phone Case and Belt Clip
    combo.
    I have owned 2 BB's (8310, 9700), My Curve was put in a cheap case and
    holster. I wasn't worried about it's safety as I knew it would only be
    used to get bb experience before the 9700 came out. Had it for 4 months
    before upgrading. Got the Bold 9700 on the 21st of November. As
    beautiful as this phone is I knew I had to cover it with something to
    protect it. I looked at Otter box, case mate, and several others.
    Based on Price, look, feel and functionality I chose the Platinum
    Series, Purchased at BestBuy.

This case features polycarbonate plastic material to protect your
    BlackBerry Onyx mobile phone from bumps and scratches. The play-through
    design allows you to access features without removing your BlackBerry
    Onyx from the case.

WHAT'S INCLUDED

* Platinum Series Case for BlackBerry Onyx/Bold 9700 Mobile Phones

PRODUCT FEATURES

* Polycarbonate Plastic Material
    With an antistatic coating protects against bumps and scratches.
    * Holster With Sleep Function
    Keeps your phone easily accessible and helps conserve battery
    life.
    * Play-Through Design
    Allows you to access features without removing your BlackBerry
    Onyx from the case.

I purchased the case/clip combo for around $32.
    One of the main features I was looking for was a top/bottom two piece
    case, I wanted to be able to remove the bottom piece at night so it
    would fit in my BB charging dock. This case does that perfectly. The
    bottom piece slides in between the upper part of the case and the phone.
    Actually uses the phone to help keep the bottom half in place. The best
    part of the connection between the upper and lower portion is there are
    no little tabs(that normally break) to lock it into place.

The case allows great access to all the side buttons and plug ports. The
    only improvement I would like is the openings on the top are a little
    small. The lock and sleep buttons are a little tricky to use at first.
    You do get used to it quickly so it's not a major flaw. Just need to use
    the tip of your finger when pushing those two top functions.

You will need to adjust your typing angles a little on the side buttons
    if you type with two thumbs. Again, after just a minute or so you will
    automatically make the needed adjustment to type as fast as before. The
    look and feel are a flat black rubberized finish. A few different colors
    are also available. The case does not add a lot of bulk to the overall
    feel.

The Hip Clip has a 90deg adjustable belt clip. the phone fits very securly in place when locked in. The look of the top Clip looks like the phone may pop out easily, rest assured it does not. I have put this to the test myself. Banging it on desk corners and snaging it on seat belt straps.

All in all a very good over all Clip/Case combo. I would recomend to anyone looking to protect their New 9700.
    01-08-10 10:23 PM
    Good job on the review. Thanks! Sounds like a pretty good case. I like that you can slip the bottom off to charge on the dock.
    01-08-10 10:28 PM
    I bought this exact same case in pink from best buy here. I returned it the next day. The plastic is cheap compared to the seidio plastic. There is no felt on the inside of the case like the one I have for my 8900. This case was a huge disappointment - as I was hoping that it would work since I like pink cases.
    01-08-10 10:45 PM
    The plastic is cheap compared to the seidio plastic. There is no felt on the inside of the case like the one I have for my 8900. This case was a huge disappointment.
    Aren't people saying the Platinum Best Buy cases are in fact Seidio? I'm a little confused.
    01-08-10 10:49 PM
    Nice writeup SS!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 10:51 PM
    I bought this exact same case in pink from best buy here. I returned it the next day. The plastic is cheap compared to the seidio plastic. There is no felt on the inside of the case like the one I have for my 8900. This case was a huge disappointment - as I was hoping that it would work since I like pink cases.
    There is a soft rubber pad on the inside to help hold the phone in place.
    I don't feel that the plastic is cheap, the design lends to the thickness. This case is not bulky like some others but is still very sturdy.
    01-08-10 11:11 PM
    Looks alot like Seidio, but its not Seidio... looks good tho!

Personally like the Seidio ones better as they are more proven, but to each there own!

Hope you are enjoying the case
    01-09-10 05:43 AM
    Aren't people saying the Platinum Best Buy cases are in fact Seidio? I'm a little confused.
    I have A LOT of cases that I purchased directly from Seidio over the years for various bbs. They looked so similiar when I was at Best Buy that I thought it was indeed a Seidio case. They are NOT even close. The plastic is inferior in quality to Seidio in every respect and for the price I would just purchase Seidio if that's the type of case you are looking for.
    01-09-10 09:37 AM
    There is a soft rubber pad on the inside to help hold the phone in place.
    I don't feel that the plastic is cheap, the design lends to the thickness. This case is not bulky like some others but is still very sturdy.
    The Seidio case exactly like this one is not thick. I measured this exact one I got at Best Buy with my Seidio 360 and Innocase II when I got home. They are the same thickness.

The plastic is cheap when compared to the Seidio case. It feels brittle and does not have the same quality of "feel" to the plastic in comparision to Seidio, imo.
    01-09-10 09:41 AM
    Very good review

01-09-10 11:45 AM
    The Seidio case exactly like this one is not thick. I measured this exact one I got at Best Buy with my Seidio 360 and Innocase II when I got home. They are the same thickness.

The plastic is cheap when compared to the Seidio case. It feels brittle and does not have the same quality of "feel" to the plastic in comparision to Seidio, imo.
    I totally agree. My Seidio Innocase II arrived yesterday and I love it.

I did have the clerk @ BestBuy open the platinum series and I didn't like it. It seemed a bit bulky and felt a bit cheap. That was only my quick impression, I do not want to discredit the OP's review.

Great job on the review, thanks for sharing.
    01-09-10 11:53 AM
    Great write up SS. Going to go check this out tomorrow.

Thanks

01-10-10 05:20 PM
    for thos that missed it the first time, bump
    01-11-10 09:41 PM
    Thank you for the review and photos. How does the clip on the case hold? Looks likeit could get bumped easily and toss your phone out. Still using my Otterbox Commuter.

01-11-10 09:46 PM
    the clip holds the phone in very well, have bumped into some desk corners and snagged on seatbelts. The phone stays in place.
    01-11-10 10:17 PM
    too bad this isnt available in canada. would love this case
    02-05-10 01:48 PM
    Thank you for the wonderful review. I will be purchasing this case this weekend. I have been waiting for one with a removable bottom piece so I can put it in the charging pod without taking the whole thing off.
    02-05-10 02:31 PM
    well done review SS! thanks
    02-05-10 04:28 PM
    anyone know where i can get this? i live in ontario canada
    02-06-10 09:49 PM
    No thanks I'm a fan of the Otterbox Defender series if you want a good case and holster combination. Wish they came in more colors is my only complaint.

Good write up.

02-06-10 11:38 PM
    I bought this case yesterday. The bottom piece does come off for use with the charging pod, though you have to tilt it ever so slightly forward to get it to sit in the pod.

With the top piece on and in the pod, the 9700 has to be almost at a 90 deg angle instead of the slightly backward incline it normally enjoys. So be careful it doesn't tip forward and out of the pod.

The case is good looking, and I respectfully disagree with the other poster who intimated it looked cheap. I didn't get that impression, but of course these things are subjective.

I do have one big problem with this case though. The case is super snug. Normally this would be a good thing, but this case pinches my 9700 so tight that I can't use the four major keys above the keypad without the screen doing a ripple effect. When the case is removed, the ripple effect goes away.

It's a real shame, because I really wanted to use this two-piece case, but I can't justify pinching the 9700 to the extent that the screen ripples with normal use. I'm going to take the case with me to work and flex it with my hands for a few days and see if I can loosen this thing up. It really is a nice case and I would like to use it. Maybe it's like a new shoe and needs to be broken in.
    02-07-10 10:05 AM
    General 9700 cases are ok but lack brand, quality and aesthetics a 9700 case needs to call out and beckon with radiance...

02-08-10 09:47 AM
    Went to Best Buy on Saturday to pick up an OEM skin for my 9700; but of course they were out of stock. Being somewhat frustrated since I had already been to 2 RadioShacks with the same result, I started looking around for other options.

Ultimately the only other case available was this Platinum series with a clip holder which I really have no use for. Antsy to get some protection on my new phone, I reluctantly slapped down the $31 for it.

After a couple days of use, I've never been happier. I'm glad they were out of stock on the skins. It's an excellent case, fits well in hand, and protects the screen and keypad from damage (front plate is raised ~millimeter off the phone). Overall content with my purchase.
    02-08-10 06:29 PM
    nice review, definitely looking for a good case for my phone this looks like a candidate.
    02-08-10 06:46 PM
    looks pretty nice.
    02-08-10 07:39 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD