Ok so this magical January event for the iPad has passed, I say big deal, what's the story on the iPhone 4G so far? My best guesses are for it to have a higher resolution screen to compete with the likes of the Android devices, 5 megapixel camera with flash, mayyyybbbbeeee a removable battery. And of course a new OS (multitasking!!!????)

So I bet Apple holds a June event to announce the new iPhone and that the new iPhone is either available right after the event or a month later in July.

What you guys know or think surrounding the iPhone 4G?
    02-05-10 12:58 PM
    Multi-tasking is a must. In order to compete with the Android phones coming to AT&T Q1 and Q2 of this year it must have it. As far as screen changes, I think they will be minor like a better touch screen, but no visual changes. I'm hoping for a design change, but after seeing the iPad, Apple likes rectangles. I am also hoping for a physical keyboard slider. Doubt it will happen, but you never know.
    02-05-10 01:01 PM
    Who decided to call the next iPhone the iPhone 4G? I understand people are saying it because it will be the 4th generation but the iPhone 3G was the second generation so that wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, might as well just wait for WWDC to see what the next iPhone and OS can do.
    02-05-10 02:38 PM
    Multi-tasking is a must. In order to compete with the Android phones coming to AT&T Q1 and Q2 of this year it must have it. As far as screen changes, I think they will be minor like a better touch screen, but no visual changes. I'm hoping for a design change, but after seeing the iPad, Apple likes rectangles. I am also hoping for a physical keyboard slider. Doubt it will happen, but you never know.
    IMO 3rd party multitasking is not a must for me. It would be good ONLY if it doesn't mess up the user experience. Apple just rather not allow something than to jeopardized user experience. I think they don't want to deal with people having crashes and stuff due to applications. Then that will fall back on them because people will bash the phone and not the apps. I'm fine with it multitasking the native apps as long as it functions great. But if they can make it have it all, then even better. But the iPhone because King without it and they don't need that to "compete" with Google. Google needs to do a lot to compete with Apple.

I could see them adding some more features, upgrading hardware and maybe some different things an OS update that will allow some more user personalization. Truthfully, I wouldn't expect something very hugh with LTE around the corner. But who knows until WWDC.
    02-05-10 02:44 PM
    I am thinking that we'll see multitasking without a doubt. It is already possible by jailbreaking it and downloading pro-switcher. Camera will be improved and some say that it will be right next to the ear piece so that video conferecing is possilble.

I am no so sure about a removable battery. I am looking at the ipad and most products and this does not tend to be apples modo.

What i am really intrigued for is how iphone and ipad will work together and how these will not step into each other's toes. Apple needs to create the need for both devices.
    02-05-10 02:47 PM
    IMO 3rd party multitasking is not a must for me. It would be good ONLY if it doesn't mess up the user experience. Apple just rather not allow something than to jeopardized user experience. I think they don't want to deal with people having crashes and stuff due to applications. Then that will fall back on them because people will bash the phone and not the apps. I'm fine with it multitasking the native apps as long as it functions great. But if they can make it have it all, then even better. But the iPhone because King without it and they don't need that to "compete" with Google. Google needs to do a lot to compete with Apple.

I could see them adding some more features, upgrading hardware and maybe some different things an OS update that will allow some more user personalization. Truthfully, I wouldn't expect something very hugh with LTE around the corner. But who knows until WWDC.
    Novell said the same thing about Microsoft all those years ago when it came to Server OS. Novell was number one, and they knew that so they didn't make any drastic, good, changes. Now look, Microsoft is on top, well, maybe not so much.

Apple can not get comfortable with Google just because they are number one. Google will step up even if their goal isn't to be the number one smartphone. I see good things in Google's future and I am a Google fan. But for now, I will stick with RIM and Blackberries. =]
    02-05-10 02:50 PM
    I personally think Google has the best business plan out of any of the other smartphone players in the market. They have their OS on multiple devices on multiple carriers throughout. So now you say wait a second Mr. Marco RIM has multiple devices on multiple carriers as well. BUT see Google has HTC, Motorola, and Samsung running their OS. So I believe Google is much better spread throughout the market than any other.

Not to mention there have been a few "iPhone killers" to have come around since the first iPhone and it's safe to say they never accomplished their mission. For Google having come along with Android as quickly as they did and in my opinion at least, having Android the closest iPhone experience you can get without actually having an iPhone says a whole **** of a lot about Google. And there are people out there that could actually make solid points about how Android is already superior to iPhone OS.

All I know is the next 10 years will be interesting in the smartphone market.
    02-05-10 03:01 PM
    Who decided to call the next iPhone the iPhone 4G? I understand people are saying it because it will be the 4th generation but the iPhone 3G was the second generation so that wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, might as well just wait for WWDC to see what the next iPhone and OS can do.
    iPhone 3G was called that because it could run 3G as the first gen couldn't. 4G now means fourth generation, as you stated. But that doesn't mean it has to stop there. Apple could secretly chip in 4G without us knowing. It's only a matter of time. ./conspiracy
    02-05-10 03:05 PM
    I personally think Google has the best business plan out of any of the other smartphone players in the market. They have their OS on multiple devices on multiple carriers throughout. So now you say wait a second Mr. Marco RIM has multiple devices on multiple carriers as well. BUT see Google has HTC, Motorola, and Samsung running their OS. So I believe Google is much better spread throughout the market than any other.

Not to mention there have been a few "iPhone killers" to have come around since the first iPhone and it's safe to say they never accomplished their mission. For Google having come along with Android as quickly as they did and in my opinion at least, having Android the closest iPhone experience you can get without actually having an iPhone says a whole **** of a lot about Google. And there are people out there that could actually make solid points about how Android is already superior to iPhone OS.

I agreed, but Microsoft did the same with Win-Mo, Samsung and HTC, and that didn't turn out. Granted, Win-Mo is one of the worst OS's I have ever seen on a smart phone. xD
    02-05-10 03:07 PM

No one has a better business plan than Apple.. it's called 140,000 Apps and COUNTING.. good luck Android, Palm, RIM and whoever else wants to get demolished. In addition to the quantity comes the quality.. app for app the Apple platform provides an unparalleled user experience.

Apple App Store = Game Ova!
    02-05-10 06:26 PM
    No one has a better business plan than Apple.. it's called 140,000 Apps and COUNTING.. good luck Android, Palm, RIM and whoever else wants to get demolished. In addition to the quantity comes the quality.. app for app the Apple platform provides an unparalleled user experience.

Apple App Store = Game Ova!
    Amen to that, I never in my life since getting my iPhone would i ever have thought I'd have 65 apps that I do use for whatever various reasons... some are used daily but **** there's an app from everything ... Apple's got a long head start on anyone, and anyone that's gone from bb to iPhone knows the difference in the fb or myspace apps alone... not to mention anything else
    02-05-10 08:54 PM
    You guys wait and see, Google will become the next Microsoft. And I don't mean the next Microsoft as in their horribleness at everything. I mean become Microsoft as in when Microsoft was king and ruling the tech world.

Google will work faster and undercut everyone (including Apple) out there. I say this because of how quick Android came together in the grand scheme of things and of how close it is to iPhone experience (since that's what everyone compares things to these days) right off the starting line.

Microsoft is finished, done and retired. Apple is Apollo Creed and Google is Rocky Balboa. You can beat Rocky once Apollo, but we all know Rocky is coming back for #2. Not to mention Rocky lost the first fight by a hair and judges decision. Much like reviews are saying Android is up there but maybe not quite iPhone level. Well wait until Android gets up there.

And to put everything in perspective, currently I'm a Blackberry guy so I actually hope RIM wakes up soon and gives both Apple and Google a knock out blow.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 02-05-10 at 10:46 PM.
    02-05-10 10:43 PM
    You guys wait and see, Google will become the next Microsoft. And I don't mean the next Microsoft as in their horribleness at everything. I mean become Microsoft as in when Microsoft was king and ruling the tech world.

Google will work faster and undercut everyone (including Apple) out there. I say this because of how quick Android came together in the grand scheme of things and of how close it is to iPhone experience (since that's what everyone compares things to these days) right off the starting line.

Microsoft is finished, done and retired. Apple is Apollo Creed and Google is Rocky Balboa. You can beat Rocky once Apollo, but we all know Rocky is coming back for #2. Not to mention Rocky lost the first fight by a hair and judges decision. Much like reviews are saying Android is up there but maybe not quite iPhone level. Well wait until Android gets up there.

And to put everything in perspective, currently I'm a Blackberry guy so I actually hope RIM wakes up soon and gives both Apple and Google a knock out blow.
    I agree ,sadly , RIM wont wake up , they will make little changes here and there and keep thoes who are happy with it , happy. seem to be working on keeping the customers they have, not too worried about gaining new ones. Same issue with apple , they have the same product over and over and over , with one little thing added at a time. Google is vastly growing and producing top notch handsets left and right , they will hit the top .

Sadly i would love the new iphone , but the only way i will buy it is if it has a AMOLED screen , with atleast 3x the current resolution, 5 mp camera , and multi tasking is A MUST. also , they really need a UI over haul , if they , like RIM stick to what just "works" they will soon start to fail.
    02-06-10 01:05 AM
    The reason I think iPhones will still continue to dominate in sales is because they're so simple to use. I've even seen senior citizens with iPhones.

Android is probably too technical for the average consumer but definitely offers more on the plate. I used to have an iPhone 3G and thought it was the best device in the world until I got my Droid. I've rooted and overclocked it so it's much faster/smoother than the 3GS now. Using all sorts of custom ROMs is the way to go for me.

The App Store may dominate when it comes to its huge number of apps but to tell you the truth, I've seen much better apps in the Android market. For example, I downloaded a GBC emulator and downloaded a ROM off a website, loaded it on my Droid, and I'm now able to play Pokemon Crystal (in full screen too).

Here's an example -> Gameboid (GBA emulator)

I gotta say that I love how many of the apps in the Android market are free, even though I've never really been known to download many apps at all.

Just my .02 though but both platforms are good...
    The iPhone will continue to dominate because of one point you made...ease of use. For every one geek there are 100,000 people who don't even know what download emulator ROM to the GBC on the downlo for sheezy is. Lets have a USAToday produce a poll and ask people - who here wants to overclock their phones.. people would be like.. you mean to set the time right?
    Right now only Apple gets it.. u s e r - experience... I mean seriously.. how many screens and menus do you have to go through just to get a screen shot on the Droid.. I mean wtf.

In addition to the App Store Apple has something no company at this time can touch.. mind share. They have such a great reputation that they can come out with garbage and people would convince themselves it's them and not Apple as to why the product doesn't work.

Motorola - crap plastic tastic
    RIM - Cool if you're a bald business man
    Apple - 2010 Hipster, Quality refined build, Utter Coolness walking and talking..

I can go on and on.. it's all about the cool factor wether it actually exists or not.
    I don't think Apple will come out with an AMOLED screen only because they want people to be able to read and see the screen in daylight.. go figure.

Apple doesn't try to be the first at anything but the best at everything, (try). The iPhone revolutionized the smartphone world and Google, RIM and many others should be thanking them as that market barely had a heartbeat.

Apple makes HARDWARE (best at it) in addition to software (pretty damn good as well).. the hardware is what will help them overcome the giant monster google as google wouldn't know what hardware is if it sucked them dry. Nexus One is really HTC.. don't fool yourselves.. lol.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 02-06-10 at 09:24 AM.
    02-06-10 09:13 AM
    Motorola used to dominate the cellphone world. with the introduction to the startac, then the v series, then the razor and then eh.....
    02-06-10 11:46 AM
    Motorola used to dominate the cellphone world. with the introduction to the startac, then the v series, then the razor and then eh.....
    I remember the RAZR craze. God I hated that phone.

I agree. Google is the next Microsoft. They just need more time. I do not see them failing at anything anytime soon and I am keeping my eye on them.
    02-06-10 11:53 AM
    Get multitasking on it, improve the battery, fix the overheating issue, Flash, and give it an owner replaceable battery and I might try one again. Without those, I won't go there again.
    02-06-10 12:11 PM
    Get multitasking on it, improve the battery, fix the overheating issue, Flash, and give it an owner replaceable battery and I might try one again. Without those, I won't go there again.
    flash wont happen lol , they will wait for html 5 on the iphone before putting flash lol
    02-06-10 12:35 PM
    For a phone without the options above there are millions of people (outsell phone model for phone model) who apparently could care less. Apple will eventually bring some of those (PLEASE no removable junk battery) but not until it's Appletastic just like cut copy and paste.. just like mms.. etc.

It's not about inventing something it's about reinventing something. I mean is this world crazy when everyone got all excited about cut copy and paste.. and mms..what the..

I haven't used a phone with better cut copy and paste than the 3G[S] yet.
    02-06-10 10:11 PM
    They sold what 8.7 million iphones last QUARTER alone? Name one newer smartphone that has sold that TOTAL, let alone in a quarter/3 months.

People dont seem to get it and only want to focus on what it doesnt have instead of what it does well, and better than anyone else.

Multitasking, Flash, removable battery are all GEEK features. Its not what the average consumer cares about- the iphone sales numbers dont lie. Id be willing to bet MAYBE 5% of the population knows what multitasking on a smartphone is (or they can even do it); and even less care about flash on an browser; and even fewer own or carry an extra battery that replaceable would be a deal breaker.

People seem to think because its important to THEM that they are the center of the universe and it should be important to the tens of millions of other users out there. The forum community is a TINY percentage of the users of their platforms out there, and usually the more advanced or "geek" user. They dont represent the consensus of the mases.

Would the extra features be nice? Sure. Deal breaker? Far from.

But Id MUCH rather have it come when its perfect, like copy and paste, then rushed out and be half a** like other implementations on other platforms.

The other manufacturers copy Apple's OS features for a reason.... And if you dont see the iphone OS influence in newer OSs like Web OS, Android, newer WM builds of 6.5, then you must be ignorant or blind.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-07-10 at 01:01 AM.
    02-07-10 12:37 AM
    Well, I believe the discussion dealt with what should happen next. So one would naturally focus on what the device doesn't currently have and what one would like to see on it.

That was my list in order for me to try it again. Others may have a different list. So be it. Each person has different wants and needs and spend their money accordingly.
    02-07-10 08:23 AM
    Personally multi-tasking isn't a must and if it is Android seems to be the preferred Platform for those who need it. Apple has perfected it's device and now evolution must take place the revolution of what they did has already come and pass, and Apple is still reaping the rewards from it. I dont believe or want multi-tasking on this next device, IM clients running in the background is enough for the iPhone.
    02-09-10 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD