Franken sent a letter to Steve Jobs yesterday wanting to know more about the alledged tracking and storage of user's locations. There are so many threads about this that I wasn't sure which one to post it in. Mods please put it where you wish.

Al Franken To Steve Jobs On iPhone Tracking: I Want Answers | TPM Idea Lab
    04-21-11 01:07 PM
    Can't say that I blame him...
    04-21-11 01:10 PM
    Wow this got moved real fast........
    04-21-11 01:24 PM
    Cool. Let's see what Apple has to say about this. They have been silent so far.
    04-21-11 01:26 PM
    I think this is bigger than just Apple and is a wireless industry issue. I know privacy is now just an illusion anyway, but I hope Congressional inquiry focuses attention on the practice of data mining our personal info and sets some guidelines and restrictions.
    MrObvious likes this.
    04-21-11 01:28 PM
    Trouble is, Jobs is so slippery that EVEN WITH the tracking software, they could not find him.
    04-21-11 04:15 PM
    LOL!!!!! That was good!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 04:47 PM
    Trouble is, Jobs is so slippery that EVEN WITH the tracking software, they could not find him.
    This is fantastic
    04-21-11 05:11 PM
    I have a love hate relarelationship with apple. They make great products but their leadership and at times pompous behavior goes too far. I'd love to see what thier official reply to this issue is. They are fast to act on damage control so I'm sure we'll get an answer soon. What were thier intentions? Inquiring minds want to know.
    04-21-11 05:31 PM
    Im sure they arent the only ones, and their reasoning for logging the movements might be for beneficial uses
    04-21-11 07:10 PM
    iPhones and Location: Let’s Not Get Hysterical. � Live in The Future. It's Starting Now.

I suspect this whole thing doesn't mean much at all. And if you look closely at the bottom of this post you'll see Android phones do this as well.
    04-21-11 07:18 PM
    Im sure they arent the only ones, and their reasoning for logging the movements might be for beneficial uses
    Yes... Apply always has your best interests at heart

But as the last poster mentioned, android phones do this too.

I also read on another site that it looks like this information isn't new - it just moved and was suddenly found.

Also, that apple isn't necessarily even getting this sent to them - the issue is just that it's being stored locally and unencrypted.
    04-21-11 08:38 PM
    Steve Jobs will claim it saves babies and all the fanboys will go "ohhhhh, ok; I will buy another one!"

04-21-11 09:34 PM
    I'm sure Al will get an answer because by golly, he's nice enough, he's smart enough, and people like him. Lol
    04-22-11 01:37 AM
    Apple could be in big trouble with this one, never mind us mare mortals, what about big business guys, celebrities(stupid I know but they'll be the ones to sue) politicians and worse of all, they are basically tracking minors, children around the world are being tracked. Scary much?

04-22-11 03:25 AM
    By the way, no doubt all smartphones collect this kind of data, apple seems the only one to record it but blackberry actually has the option to turn it off in location settings.

04-22-11 03:30 AM
    This is being done mainly for targetted advertising. Apple will be able to show prospective advertisers that they can target ads to phone users on the web based on geography.

Obviously this can be done on any phone via cell tower triangulation but that data is gathered by carriers. Using GPS is easier and can be sent from the phone to wherever rather than jsut being dumped into a carrier's computer.

It is likely that RIM can do this too but with RIM's marketing - duh, they probably don't bother.
    04-22-11 03:37 AM
    By the way, no doubt all smartphones collect this kind of data, apple seems the only one to record it but blackberry actually has the option to turn it off in location settings.

It is true that most smartphones are probably doing this. But from what I know about RIM's love of security they don't leave the files unencrypted. Or upload the information onto something like iTunes.

04-22-11 03:43 AM
    It is true that most smartphones are probably doing this. But from what I know about RIM's love of security they don't leave the files unencrypted. Or upload the information onto something like iTunes.

They give you the option to disable it. I did

04-22-11 03:44 AM

Apple can also turn it off in location settings. If you just want to knock Apple products then go ahead. I have an iPhone4 & a BB9000. I use them both, and i feel that the iPhone is vastly superior to the 9000. Get your facts straight before you post!
    04-24-11 06:54 PM
    Apple can also turn it off in location settings. If you just want to knock Apple products then go ahead. I have an iPhone4 & a BB9000. I use them both, and i feel that the iPhone is vastly superior to the 9000. Get your facts straight before you post!
    Did you read the article? Read it again and then tell me if you can turn it off.

04-25-11 02:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD