3.0 is definitely faster than 2.5.

1. streaming video should work even better; i just tested and works fine but never tried on previous builds
    2. battery life isn't the greatest but it's not bad, as mentioned. 4-5% means you'll probably have to charge it nightly
    3. browser is definitely faster
    4. i haven't had any issues and seems to be very stable to me

on a previous build i was getting under 2% battery life but this build performs much better and faster. i am currently running 3.0 and waiting for 3.1 bec battery does mean a lot to me as well. whether or not you should upgrade or wait is up to you. hope this helps
    08-16-10 06:54 AM
    wow 4-5% discharge rate is not decent but horrible, yo can't make it for a single full day with that rate, reminds me that days with my old 9000, something i completely forgot about with my 9700.

I'd probably wait for 3.1, battery life is really important for me.
    08-16-10 03:02 PM
    wow 4-5% discharge rate is not decent but horrible, yo can't make it for a single full day with that rate, reminds me that days with my old 9000, something i completely forgot about with my 9700.

I'd probably wait for 3.1, battery life is really important for me.
    Lol buddy, take that discharge rate with a grain of salt, it is very relative to YOUR personal usage. If you don't use BBM groups and stuff like that and use 2G while you aren't browsing it can increase battery life. Other factors too.
    08-16-10 03:52 PM
    There are 3 reasons someone would want to use a hybrid:

1) Increased performance
    2) OS6 files, and the number of OS6 files included
    3) Increased battery life

Now, this hybrid focused on increased performance and including the most amount of OS6 files. If you ask me, nailing 2 of the 3 isn't too shabby. And I certainly wouldn't call 4-5% discharge rate horrible, just not excellent.

I can't help but mention that I laughed out loud when you said can't last a single day at that rate. Considering the average day is 16 hours - last time I checked 5*16=80% leaving at least 20% leftover at the end of the day.

As for why the battery life isn't great? Have you read about how poor the battery life is on the 9800? Well, the OS6 files we use are from the 9800. For v3.1 I will be focusing on battery life, which will decrease performance a tiny bit, and possibly dramatically change the amount of OS6 files. If you would rather choose to not run v3.0, that is fine by me. Same way there are people who won't update to v3.1 because it has less OS6 files
    08-16-10 04:12 PM
    well, sometimes i have to be away from home or any charger for 24 hours and more, so i was talking about a 24-hour day. With the last couple of hybrids i have loaded (including RB 2.5) i get 1.5 - 2.5% which means almost 2 full (24 hours) days without a charge.

As the other friend said, discharge rate depends on usage, since i�m not a very heavy user, i think i'll reconsider my previous post and will try this version, if the battery DR is too high for me, i'll downgrade and wait for 3.1.

Cheers.
    08-16-10 08:14 PM
    No worries. My point was not everyone is concerned about battery life, but have other priorities - this hybrid caters to them. To be honest, the reason this hybrid took so long to come out was because I kept trying to improve battery life, while keeping the number of OS6 files...and this was the best I could do. Actually, the first v3.0 builds had even worse battery life.

Before long, it came clear that at fault was actually the OS6 files (can be verified by using all the reports of 9800's battery woes), and the only way to fix it was to lower the amount of OS6 files and in a sense go backwards. I didn't want to take even longer to do that, especially since the performance in this hybrid is so awesome, so decided to release it and work on battery life more in v3.1
    08-16-10 08:29 PM
    my discharge rate for today was 3.0% so it really depends on what you're doing with it. some days i use it excessively and get over 4 and others, like today, 3. i made a few phone calls, checked email, rss feed, berryweather updated a few times, moderate txting, and listened to maybe an hour worth of music. the real battery drainer is the calling; if you're constantly making calls, the batt will just make it through the 20 hour day. (btw i do turn my battery off for about 4 hours a day which also helps lower the %. this hybrid is excellent when idling-i let my bb go for about 25hours with the radio off and it only dropped 2-3% total!)
    08-16-10 09:05 PM
    I figured I'd try an RB) hybrid. My last few hybrids have been WB, which I've had good experience with and definitely improves on the base OS. My most recent hybrid before this was WB 7.

I try not to comment on a hybrid unless I have a particular issue to allow the hybrid to settle in before I judge performance. Like most, my impressions are just that, impressions. Generally I like this RB hybrid. It's solid, boots quickly as has been well documented. I didn't find battery life to be an issue at all, even though that was said to be a disadvantage. The radioi proved reliable and I didn't experience any dropped calls. My biggest disappointment, and I think it's enough to move on to another hybrid, is the browser. Again, this is just my impression, but I find it particularly slow.

I'm looking forward to the next WB VIP hybrid, but while I wait, I may try the latest IceandFire hybrid. I'm not going to reinstall an OS tonight though so I'll run with this) hyrbrid for another night or two.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 09:57 PM
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses so far. It sounds as if the pros in terms of performance out-weigh the cons in terms of battery life. So I think I'm gonna upgrade!

I have just one more question, regarding upgrades. How long does it take you guys? The last one I did took the best part of a full working day, by the time I'd backed everything up, installed, done the battery pulls, reinstalled each and every app (I've got about 35 or so I think) and then changed all the settings and options to the way I wanted it, it took or seemed to take forever.

Now either you guys have a lot of spare time on your hands (coz some of you are swapping hybrids like there's no tomorrow - personally I've settled on RB's and won't change ) or you're doing something I'm not. Any hints and tips?

Cheers.

Mav.
    08-17-10 04:22 AM
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses so far. It sounds as if the pros in terms of performance out-weigh the cons in terms of battery life. So I think I'm gonna upgrade!

I have just one more question, regarding upgrades. How long does it take you guys? The last one I did took the best part of a full working day, by the time I'd backed everything up, installed, done the battery pulls, reinstalled each and every app (I've got about 35 or so I think) and then changed all the settings and options to the way I wanted it, it took or seemed to take forever.

Now either you guys have a lot of spare time on your hands (coz some of you are swapping hybrids like there's no tomorrow - personally I've settled on RB's and won't change ) or you're doing something I'm not. Any hints and tips?

Cheers.

Mav.
    a full working day, It takes me like 1 hour maybe 2 tops.. I do a backup with BDM, I then Install the hybrid which i shrink with shrink-A-OS, once installed i do a battery pull and then re-register my apps and re-install 2 apps that need to be installed again, then i re-send service-books etc and sort out my UMA settings in the e-screen and i do another battery pull, all done.

It looks like you wipe your bb before installing the hybrid, when i did this i to had to reinstall every app again and sort my setting out, which took considerably longer. Never doing that again.

I have seen some people say "AppLoader wipes the bb during the process of installing a os, so there's no need to wipe before you install" however other people still say a wipe before is needed.
    08-17-10 07:16 AM
    It looks like you wipe your bb before installing the hybrid, when i did this i to had to reinstall every app again and sort my setting out, which took considerably longer. Never doing that again.
    You will once you run into issues. Doesn't happen all the time, but depending on what OS you are coming from and then subsequently going to, you will eventually run up against something(s) strange. Its better to wipe and avoid the issues vs risking it and then having to wipe and do it all over again. This process is one of the very annoying parts of BB.
    08-17-10 07:20 AM
    You will once you run into issues. Doesn't happen all the time, but depending on what OS you are coming from and then subsequently going to, you will eventually run up against something(s) strange. Its better to wipe and avoid the issues vs risking it and then having to wipe and do it all over again. This process is one of the very annoying parts of BB.
    Am sure going from OS5 to OS6 will 100% need a wipe, that will be my next OS wipe N load. Maybe v3.0 is the last RB hybrid for 9700 other than v3.1 before OS6 gets leaked unless that leak is months away.
    08-17-10 08:36 AM
    great work

waiting for battery to settle in
    Last edited by Fubaz; 08-17-10 at 09:44 AM.
    08-17-10 09:27 AM
    Hi Guys,

Cheers.

Mav.
    If you want to do a wipe then do a separate backup of just your apps by themselves. Uncheck everything else and find the folder it does the backup to (it will have the name of the PIN for your device). Copy it where you can get to it before you end the backup process.

Then install the OS, do a restore and point to the .alx file in the folder mentioned above. That will reinstall every last one of your apps and nothing else. You will still have to reregister them but you wont have to reinstall them.

Here is RBs posted procedure.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/
    Last edited by donbp1; 08-17-10 at 02:53 PM.
    08-17-10 02:48 PM
    the simplest way is to put all your CODs into one folder and then just reinstall them with bbsak or something similar. if you did a complete backup with DM, it also backs up service books etc so no need to do that separately. it also restores your theme and positioning of all icons which took me a while to do. only thing you need to do is reregister most apps which doesn't take more than a few mins. the whole process should be 30mins-hour even with 3 battery pulls.

i didn't like doing the backup/restore of apps through a program because it lumps them all as one app so if you want to delete one, u can't.
    08-17-10 03:33 PM
    Great hybrid,
    I've installed several hybrids based on OS5. such as Willyboy's, RB's, V7's ... so far. But this is the best version until now. Performance, smoothness, speed of browser are great, no issue discoverred so far.
    Thanks for sharing us!
    Last edited by changragi; 08-17-10 at 10:06 PM.
    08-17-10 10:04 PM
    Just out of curiosity. What does it mean when you say something like, reboot the phone a number of times until battery settles in or run the phone for a few days. Can you explain the technical phenomenal behind this BS theory?
    08-18-10 12:12 AM
    It's not a BS theory, it's general knowledge that any OS takes a couple of days and a couple of battery pulls to "settle in"

As for a "technical phenomenal" my vote would lean towards the concept of fragmentation.
    Last edited by doubleblack; 08-18-10 at 05:42 PM.
    08-18-10 05:39 PM
    Just out of curiosity. What does it mean when you say something like, reboot the phone a number of times until battery settles in or run the phone for a few days. Can you explain the technical phenomenal behind this BS theory?
    I've explained this elsewhere, but in short-

Every OS installed needs to run first time set-ups, download all the stuff your carrier pushes to new devices, build data caches, calibrate battery, optimize etc etc etc. It's a pretty well-known fact among those who test OS's that they need some "break-in" time, and will always use more energy initially. I'm currently getting 0.9% per hour battery usage... it certainly wasn't even close to that during the first 24 hours after install.
    08-18-10 06:06 PM

Every OS installed needs to run first time set-ups, download all the stuff your carrier pushes to new devices, build data caches, calibrate battery, optimize etc etc etc. It's a pretty well-known fact among those who test OS's that they need some "break-in" time, and will always use more energy initially. I'm currently getting 0.9% per hour battery usage... it certainly wasn't even close to that during the first 24 hours after install.
    Mine was around 26% per hour battery usage within the first 24 hours when i installed v3.0.. Now am down to around 3% per hour battery usage.
    08-18-10 06:48 PM
    are you getting 0.9% with moderate/heavy usage or little usage?
    08-18-10 08:07 PM

Thank you for the info.

How are you guys finding out what is the percentage your battery uses per hour or day? Third party app?

Thanks
    08-19-10 06:44 AM
    Seems to be my battery has settled in, and I am losing like 40% PER DAY at normal usage! that is with WiFi on 24/7

GREAT WORKS!!!!!!!
    08-19-10 10:34 AM
    Thank you for the info.

How are you guys finding out what is the percentage your battery uses per hour or day? Third party app?

Thanks
    yes, meterberry
    08-19-10 11:35 AM
    that is amazing i have one question a noobish one but how do you make a hybrid
    08-19-10 03:18 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD