What were some of the bugs in 214 that are no longer in 225?
    09-14-10 02:47 AM
    Tonight, I upgraded my Torch from .214 to .225. While .214 was a great improvement over the stock OS, .225 seems to only be an incomplete update. Others may disagree as there has been some improvement (decent speaker volume!) Some issues I've noticed:

• Web Browser: the browser seems to load pages much more quickly now. However, scrolling down through those pages lags terribly. Web pages used to slide like "paper under glass."
    • BIS Connection: Data services seem slow to connect. Immediately after connecting to the BIS (over wi-fi at least), the broswer is usable; but programs such as Twitter and FaceBook cannot pull their feeds. Same for other internet apps. After 30-60 seconds data services function.
    • App Switcher: Rebooting the phone fixed this, but the Twitter icon wouldn't go away after closing the program. Touching the Twitter icon after the program was closed would cause the App Switcher to freeze. Pressing the END key brought me back to the home screen as usual.

*EDIT: The lagging scrolling seems to be related to the way the browser loads images. I may be mistaken in this, but the browser doesn't load images beyond a certain scroll distance. The browser lags when I scroll down because it's loading images as I scroll. The problem is especially noticeable on engadget.com or any site with pictures in the comments.

Just my .02... okay maybe .03.
    Last edited by HolderBBcb; 09-14-10 at 04:24 AM.
    09-14-10 03:56 AM
    Tonight, I upgraded my Torch from .214 to .225. While .214 was a great improvement over the stock OS, .225 seems to only be an incomplete update. Others may disagree as there has been some improvement (decent speaker volume!) Some issues I've noticed:

• Web Browser: the browser seems to load pages much more quickly now. However, scrolling down through those pages lags terribly. Web pages used to slide like "paper under glass."
    • BIS Connection: Data services seem slow to connect. Immediately after connecting to the BIS (over wi-fi at least), the broswer is usable; but programs such as Twitter and FaceBook cannot pull their feeds. Same for other internet apps. After 30-60 seconds data services function.
    • App Switcher: Rebooting the phone fixed this, but the Twitter icon wouldn't go away after closing the program. Touching the Twitter icon after the program was closed would cause the App Switcher to freeze. Pressing the END key brought me back to the home screen as usual.

Just my .02... okay maybe .03.

Just finished updating, and so far I haven't had the same problem with the App Switcher or with websites not scrolling smoothly. However I am still having the same damn problem I've been having since the beginning, a cursor with a mind of its own that just scrolls randomly to the left even when I'm not touching the trackpad. I updated tonight hoping this would be the version it was fixed in, but still no. I'm on the verge of taking it back because I don't know what else to do and it's way more than just an annoying bug.
    09-14-10 04:25 AM
    I am still on .214 and the BB logo is on the second line between the wifi symbol and the bluetooth symbol under the signal.
    I am waiting to hear if this build addresses the "bis" problem but I doubt it since it is the same platform.

CORRECTION: On .214, BB symbol is on top line next to 3G and it is on second line when on WiFi between bluetooth and wifi symbols.
    Ah, yes, I see that now. Very odd that it changes lines like that just because you're connected to wifi. And I suppose it is too much to hope that this leak addresses the BIS connection problem.
    09-14-10 05:42 AM
    battery life seems much better. i charged overnight and 4 hours after taking it off the charger, reading some mms, listening to about 45mins worth of audio, it's at 99%. i'm curious if charging extra gives it that boost to last longer from 100 to 99 as this has happened to me before; i don't usually charge overnight.
    i'm still having issues with receiving mms-i open the message and can't scroll down; it cuts off in the middle; after a reboot i can view the whole message.
    volume is definitely louder than before but not sure it's at the 9700 level yet.
    09-14-10 06:39 AM
    I am still on .214 and the BB logo is on the second line between the wifi symbol and the bluetooth symbol under the signal.
    I am waiting to hear if this build addresses the "bis" problem but I doubt it since it is the same platform.

CORRECTION: On .214, BB symbol is on top line next to 3G and it is on second line when on WiFi between bluetooth and wifi symbols.
    This is the way it's always been, BIS logo sits next to the connection it's running thru, 3G or WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 07:13 AM
    This is not new to this load. I wrote a post on how the notification area worked with various applications.

I believe I saw that somewhere, but was just pointing it out here because someone had complained how the notification bar was a waste with nothing but 3 calendar entries showing.

09-14-10 07:18 AM
    Can't wait to get home to update mine tonight! Thanks for all the feedback guys! The volume has been a major bummer for me so I am looking forward to any improvement to it
    09-14-10 07:54 AM
    .214 is working fine for me so far and I just updated. Don't want to have to contact my IT department so soon for another Enterprise Activation. Any noticeable differences with .255?
    09-14-10 07:56 AM
    .214 is working fine for me so far and I just updated. Don't want to have to contact my IT department so soon for another Enterprise Activation. Any noticeable differences with .255?
    If you just upgrade via DM or App Loader and don't do an unnecessary wipe first, you shouldn't have to call your IT for enterprise activation after upgrading. That is, if you were already on BES before an upgrade, activation after the upgrade is automatic. It's been this way since OS 5.0. Sounds like you're wiping the phone yourself before you do the upgrade.
    09-14-10 08:41 AM
    Update: I think I realized what I was doing wrong. Will see in a bit. I was running the apploader.exe file only. This time, I clicked on the .225 update that I had downloaded. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Before anyone asks - though they will certainly ask again and miss this, here are install instructions:

OK. I followed your directions step by step and can't get to a point where the PC recognizes that a I have a new OS version to update to my Torch.

Also I tried this method at BlackBerry Software and can't DM to recognize my .225 OS.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect it's the path of my original download of .225. I have since put it in C://program files/common files/RIM/apploader and still can't get the PC to recognize it.

Should I use BBSAK? I have that on my PC too.

Any help is appreciated.

And, by "blind man" I mean figuratively, not literally.
    Last edited by AgentScribe; 09-14-10 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Might have finally figured it out.
    09-14-10 08:43 AM
    If you just upgrade via DM or App Loader and don't do an unnecessary wipe first, you shouldn't have to call your IT for enterprise activation after upgrading. That is, if you were already on BES before an upgrade, activation after the upgrade is automatic. It's been this way since OS 5.0. Sounds like you're wiping the phone yourself before you do the upgrade.
    So what's the verdict on this OS? Is it worth the bother to upgrade from .214?
    09-14-10 08:51 AM
    Very cool and I did not know this. I have been wiping prior to my upgrades. I will give it a try and thanks!!!
    09-14-10 09:01 AM
    @shansmi-I tried your fix. Now my berry is stuck on predictive txt.
    I change it to direct>save, and it falls back to predictive.
    I have the same problem except mine is on Direct and when I switch to Predictive it will not save. It goes right back to Direct.
    09-14-10 09:01 AM
    I think this is what you are looking for:
    Send button>options>call log and lists>initial view>call log>Save
    Awesome! Not sure if this was there before or not, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for pointing it out!!
    09-14-10 09:08 AM
    does this work on windows 7 ?
    because currently i'm stuck at "connecting to boot RAM" while in the process of updating my device in the apploader wizard... -_-
    any help ????
    09-14-10 09:11 AM
    because currently i'm stuck at "connecting to boot RAM" while in the process of updating my device in the apploader wizard... -_-
    any help ????
    Worked perfectly for me on Win7....
    09-14-10 09:28 AM
    actually , i have win7 installed on mac.. i guess that wont' work???? anyone have this problem ??????
    09-14-10 09:33 AM
    In .214 I could only tether via Bluetooth, the USB tethering didn't work. Also, Salesforce.com mobile would load.

Pleased to report that both of these are fixed for me in .225

Touch screen seems awfully sensitive, but it might just be me.
    09-14-10 09:40 AM
    That worked, but now its getting stuck on uploading RAM image lol. I have tried everything to get around it but i can't. Any idea's? Ive tried all the forums, etc. Im using XP in Parallels Desktop
    I don't know if you can do it in Parallels or not...maybe try another USB cable.

ever since i downloaded this update my blackberry hasn't been able to use the social feeds app or use email, mms, or app world I've reinstalled it 3 times and all with the same result.
    Sounds like something went wrong with your update. You should wipe and reinstall it again. You're one of very few who have had issues so it's not the OS itself.

I'm still on 141, was about to do 214 and then saw that 225 is out. I sthere any reason I should not just go from my current 141 directly to 225?

Re 225, haven't seen any real bug issues yet, so it's looking good.
    Skip .214 and go straight to .225. They are the same platform and .225 is just .214 with bug fixes, according to Crucial_Xtreme.

OK. I followed your directions step by step and can't get to a point where the PC recognizes that a I have a new OS version to update to my Torch.

Also I tried this method at BlackBerry Software and can't DM to recognize my .225 OS.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect it's the path of my original download of .225. I have since put it in C://program files/common files/RIM/apploader and still can't get the PC to recognize it.

Should I use BBSAK? I have that on my PC too.

Any help is appreciated.

And, by "blind man" I mean figuratively, not literally.
    I think - based on what you said - that you are not installing the OS. The OS .exe that you downloaded doesn't need to be placed anywhere special - you just need to double click it and install it to your computer like you would any other program. Then continue to follow my steps as you were.

any help ????
    It works fine for me on Windows 7 64-Bit...but I have no clue if you can do it on a Mac...uninstall the .225 OS from your computer and reinstall it, following the install procedure in my signature (right below this text).
    09-14-10 09:45 AM
    On Deposit Files it now says "Such file does not exist or it has been removed for infringement of copyrights."
    Last edited by ismellrealbad; 09-14-10 at 10:06 AM.
    09-14-10 10:03 AM
    On Deposit Files it now says "Such file does not exist or it has been removed for infringement of copyrights."
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    09-14-10 10:08 AM
    .255 is awesome ... better battery life is an A+ for me. Quicker browsing, and no connection issues.
    09-14-10 10:10 AM
    I had no problem with salesforce in 214, same in 225.

In .214 I could only tether via Bluetooth, the USB tethering didn't work. Also, Salesforce.com mobile would load.

Pleased to report that both of these are fixed for me in .225

Touch screen seems awfully sensitive, but it might just be me.
    09-14-10 10:15 AM
    Yes, I was certainly doing it wrong! Been a long time since I've done one of these (generally I'm wary of these leaks). Very rusty...and I'm not as advanced as others.

Thank you for responding to me so quickly.
    09-14-10 10:18 AM
343 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD